Author Topic: CCI 2014 GENERAL BADGE REGISTRATION Discussion Thread  (Read 122699 times)

Offline evanarose

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
Re: CCI 2014 GENERAL BADGE REGISTRATION Discussion Thread
« Reply #1170 on: June 08, 2014, 02:23:25 AM »
I was just wondering what happens you end up with a badge for the 4 days. The schedule comes out and you find out one day there isn't any panels you want to see and you decide to do touristy stuff in san diego instead. You will lose the money for the day, but they don't like suspend you or anything for doing that do they? Like because you wasted the badge. I know it maybe a silly question, but curious anyway lol

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #1171 on: June 08, 2014, 03:26:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was just wondering what happens you end up with a badge for the 4 days. The schedule comes out and you find out one day there isn't any panels you want to see and you decide to do touristy stuff in san diego instead. You will lose the money for the day, but they don't like suspend you or anything for doing that do they? Like because you wasted the badge. I know it maybe a silly question, but curious anyway lol

Nope.  There aren't consequences for not going to the convention for one of the days (even if you have a 4-day badge).
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1172 on: Today at 01:09:17 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #1172 on: June 08, 2014, 05:44:47 AM »
There are no consequences, and they don't even track whether or not you show up. But honestly, there is so much to do at the con, I think you will be busy every day, unless you want the time to veg...

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #1173 on: June 08, 2014, 03:58:54 PM »
Actually last year was the first one I went all 4 days. The past couple of years I have always taken a day off ... usually Saturday. It's overwhelming so I need a day to recoup!
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline imcla

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #1174 on: June 09, 2014, 06:23:39 AM »
Guys, I don't know if this is the right thread, and this is probably a dumb question, but I'm printing the barcode confirmations to pick up our badges, I'm only printing the first page of each e-mail (the one with the actual barcode and name). Is that ok or should I print everything (all the instructions and the pick-up locations table and etc) just to be safe?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #1175 on: June 09, 2014, 06:27:23 AM »
Guys, I don't know if this is the right thread, and this is probably a dumb question, but I'm printing the barcode confirmations to pick up our badges, I'm only printing the first page of each e-mail (the one with the actual barcode and name). Is that ok or should I print everything (all the instructions and the pick-up locations table and etc) just to be safe?

Not a dumb question!

You only need the first page, with you name and the barcode.

Offline imcla

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #1176 on: June 09, 2014, 07:09:24 AM »
Thank you!  :)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #1177 on: June 10, 2014, 10:36:22 AM »

In 2012 I was sick on Sunday and missed that day.  No consequences, except I missed out on one last trip to Exhibit Hall.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline jimy

• Gaming Lounge
  • Attending SDCC since 1994
  • Liked: 91
« Reply #1178 on: June 10, 2014, 10:46:51 AM »
In 2012 I was sick on Sunday and missed that day.  No consequences, except I missed out on one last trip to Exhibit Hall.

There's no real way for them to know whether you attended a given day or not, since the badges are not scanned upon entrance to the event.

Offline evanarose

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #1179 on: June 14, 2014, 12:55:54 PM »
How are you eligible for pre reg? Is it just the fact that you been before? Or was there something else involved? Is that true in previous years you could apply for next years badge at comic con?

Offline mattnathaniel

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #1180 on: June 14, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »

How are you eligible for pre reg? Is it just the fact that you been before? Or was there something else involved? Is that true in previous years you could apply for next years badge at comic con?

Yes, in previous years they've had pre reg at con And you must attended the previous year to be eligible for the next year's pre reg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jeffa

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #1181 on: June 14, 2014, 04:28:15 PM »

Quote from: Transmu
That's an interesting thought, but one I have difficulty with. CCI *overselling* badges? They have plenty of experience with this and know exactly how many badges should be sold. If this is actually what happened, there was a major screwup of some kind, perhaps with the software programmers?
i don't think we'll ever know but it explains the symptoms. The term 'over sell' is prob an over statement by me but by trying to sell as many badges as possible i can *assume* cci left no margin for error. Couple that with a lack of returns & bingo, no returned sale.
"Oversell" is a very good term, Alyssa. It's like airlines "overbooking" because they know a big fraction of reservations will be cancelled, but of course they'd approach it more conservatively because there is no "later flight" people could get bumped to.

I expect that SDCC looked at all of the past years and figured out the *minimum* number of refunds/returns, then dropped back a bit from that percentage. If the smallest percentage of refunds was returns in the past was (say) 20%, maybe they aimed to sell 112% or 115% of the total in the lotteries.

It costs money and lots of volunteer hours to run every sale, and they would want to avoid a third one if it could be managed. Even if there aren't any server glitches. This is what I imagine they were thinking. I wonder what the minimum "leftovers" would be needed to trigger a resale - 1000 left over wouldn't be enough to bother with, but then what happens with the 1000? The only slight improvement I can think of, and there might be complications, is to have a Waiting List of names who just missed out in the General Sale.

If instead, they got fewer returns than they expected, I wonder what that means. The increased media buzz means that there were people trying to register who had never registered before. (Start posting the headlines that it's getting much more difficult to get badges, and people start saying "I'd better start trying or I'll never get fulfill my bucket list to go once in my lifetime.") Did some of the newbies think that they *might* attend, but if not, they could still find a way to sell their badge privileges? We all know that lots of people with UserIDs still haven't read the instructions and haven't spent much time reading these forums, and the number is higher among people where it's their first time in the lottery. Newbies may also be the same people who didn't pay attention to the refund deadline.

We all seem to believe that the number of people entering the first two lotteries has grown constantly over the last few years. So if they unexpectedly got significantly fewer returns than expected, I wonder if the number of no-shows will increase.

Mass psychology is a difficult subject to understand. ::)

edited for a confusing quote issue
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 08:22:20 PM by alyssa »

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #1182 on: June 14, 2014, 07:43:36 PM »
I was thinking that it's possible the leftover badges affect the number of comp tickets they give out for promos. I've seen one of those before. It's like a general ticket or a free pass for one day with no names. I assume you take it to the reg desks and get a one-day badge there. Maybe they "oversell" a certain number of tickets expecting a certain number of refunds to balance out and after the refund date, they figure out how many left they can sell and they also allocate a certain amount for the comp passes. This year may be different since there were less refunded badges, maybe only a couple hundred refunds, and they still need their allocation for the comp passes so they just put those extras into the comps instead of selling to general public.