Author Topic: What do you think of implementing RFID chips in Comic-Con badges?  (Read 8449 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: What do you think of implementing RFID chips in Comic-Con badges?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 08:57:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd rather have photos on the badges. I think that would deter scalpers or passing badges around?

I think that would be cheaper and easier than having scanners?

I'm going to agree with cracksback that it won't be logistically feasible to include photos on the badges.  It would take too long on CCI's end of things to print badges because it would mean they would either [1] have to collect quality (probably passport-sized, 2 inch by 2 inch) photos; digitally place them using Adobe Photoshop or another image-editing program; and then print them out; or [2] take in-person photos during badge pick-up. 

I'm having bad flashbacks of the line for photos at the DMV!

>__<;   

Fingerprinting.  DNA sample. 

Saliva swab.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »
I used to work as Convention staff part-time for a bit. I was actually offered to work during Con but I would rather attend and already purchased my badges each time. The professional conventions I worked had photos for badges. It only took a few seconds to snap photo and print it out. The same amount of time it does now. But the machines probably weren't cheap though.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline imcla

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2014, 09:21:52 PM »
Photos could also be a problem to cosplayers, if you have make up or prosthetics all over your face you might be unrecognizable.

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2014, 09:28:12 PM »
Oh, that is true.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2014, 09:51:12 PM »
Man, while having a picture could be pretty cool to have on the badge, people already b***h about all the hoops they have to jump through just to get this badge.  Imagine the bellyaching if they made this a requirement too.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 10:39:13 PM »
Man, while having a picture could be pretty cool to have on the badge, people already @#$%& about all the hoops they have to jump through just to get this badge.  Imagine the bellyaching if they made this a requirement too.

I'm imagining nerd preening and holding up the line.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline mattnathaniel

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
Has anyone caught this in the CCI terms and conditions for badge purchasing? Maybe they're already thinking about it..

"SDCC may perform any of the following validation of badges on entry to any area of the convention. These measures are an effort to prevent illegal badge duplication and unauthorized reselling. SDCC may scan the bar code, require a photo ID that matches the name on the badge, scan RFID embedded in the badge, and examine the badge with other technological and/or physical methods to verify authenticity of the badge and holder."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 08:55:34 AM »
Has anyone caught this in the CCI terms and conditions for badge purchasing? Maybe they're already thinking about it..

"SDCC may perform any of the following validation of badges on entry to any area of the convention. These measures are an effort to prevent illegal badge duplication and unauthorized reselling. SDCC may scan the bar code, require a photo ID that matches the name on the badge, scan RFID embedded in the badge, and examine the badge with other technological and/or physical methods to verify authenticity of the badge and holder."

RFID chips implemented in the way that NYCC did it last year, with RFID-scanning tablets and "tapping in and out" of the convention center, is kind of the idea that we've been discussing, but good point for bringing that up. 

I think they are aware of it, but they might not have necessarily thought about using this technology in the context of what I mentioned in the above statement.  Truth be told, I'd like to see CCI try it out one of these years and find if works for them as well as it did with NYCC at 2013.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 09:03:06 AM »
I would mind it less at CCI than at NYCC, I think, if only b/c CCI is non-profit, and they've always seemed to act in good faith. I think being tracked with RFID chips is a lot of data to hand over, and not something I'd necessarily trust to a for-profit company (i.e. ReedPop which puts on NYCC). Didn't NYCC get in trouble a couple years ago because they asked attendees to link their twitter accounts to their badges and then auto-tweeted endorsements for NYCC from the attendees accounts? I would be screaming mad if that happened.

But the flip side of that is if CCI thinks it's important to protect our data (as opposed to, "This year's new RFID badges sponsored by Google!" or something), then it's us who will have to pay for implementing the system, in higher badge prices.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
FTR, the new wristbands at Disneyworld are RIFD, and they charge $15 for them if you are not staying at one oftheir onsite hotels. I'm guessing that covers the manufacturing cost. These bands are adjustable and removable, perfectly waterproof (they were designed to enable the wearer to go swimming with them on) and would take some serious abuse to break (such as purposely smashing it with an anvil... dropping it or banging your hand against the wall won't do anything). I'm sure a technology like this (including a fastener to prevent removal) could be instituted at SDCC, should CCI want to invest the time and effort into creating such a solution.

I think I would prefer the idea of a wristband over a lanyard badge, just because lanyard badges are so easy to lose/get stolen. I don't think there would be nearly this problem with wristbands. Of course, it might mess up some cosplays. ;)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »
FTR, the new wristbands at Disneyworld are RIFD, and they charge $15 for them if you are not staying at one oftheir onsite hotels. I'm guessing that covers the manufacturing cost.

The manufacturing cost, yes. But not the cost of implementing the tracking in/out system.

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »
hmm, interesting. I know they usually have the random check disclaimer. If they were adding rfid, that would be new. It would be an extra cost for CCI. Some people will be complaining about the possibly privacy issues though.

Offline mattnathaniel

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 11
What do you think of implementing RFID chips in Comic-Con badges?
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2014, 11:37:43 AM »
I would like RFID wristbands over the badges. Instead of carrying having a badge for each day, all of that would be on one wristband. And having them mailed in would eliminate a line we have to stand in. The only thing I'd wonder about is if they would come pre-registered or not. Coachella's wristbands don't come registered, which allows you to sell it and then it becomes officially theirs when they register it. I'm sure CCI wouldn't go that route though.

It would be cool to see how they direct the in/out flow of traffic through the doors. They would also need enough scanners to deal the crowd. They don't seem to take up too much time either, just a simple pass through. (Flashing your badge is way faster though) And I'm sure they could find a sponsor who would love to throw a movie or tv wrap on that to help with cost.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:39:56 AM by mattnathaniel »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »
Whether or not they go to RFID, I highly doubt CCI will consider going back to mailing badges anytime soon. Forcing you to pick up your badge in person with a photo ID is the main way they discourage scalpers.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2014, 11:59:56 AM »
I would mind it less at CCI than at NYCC, I think, if only b/c CCI is non-profit, and they've always seemed to act in good faith. I think being tracked with RFID chips is a lot of data to hand over, and not something I'd necessarily trust to a for-profit company (i.e. ReedPop which puts on NYCC). Didn't NYCC get in trouble a couple years ago because they asked attendees to link their twitter accounts to their badges and then auto-tweeted endorsements for NYCC from the attendees accounts? I would be screaming mad if that happened.

i've spoken to a few people abt that incident.
first, there was an opt out apparently some folks didn't read the TOS... <which i agree is pretty crappy but there was a way out>
secondly, apparently there was some third party vendor who did the unauthorized posting.  this bit is a little more sketchy because iirc, that was told to me in a conversation so i can't quote it
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5