Author Topic: Masquerade Entrants may be able to bypass attendee badge-buying system  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
I saw this a couple of days ago and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it by now. So I'll do it. Apparently there are some new rules for the Masquerade this year. If you participated in the Masquerade in 2011 or later, and are also accepted for this year's Masquerade, CCI will help you get a badge outside of general registration.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I think this is a good thing, as it encourages high quality cosplayers to attend the show and participate in the Masquerade. Obviously CCI is worried that the quality of the Masquerade might decline if they can't ensure that participants get badges. But it does leave fewer badges available for general registration (although I can't imagine this avenue being that many badges) and may set up a loophole that has ramifications in the future.

What do you guys think?

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
Re: Masquerade Entrants may be able to bypass attendee badge-buying system
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 06:26:14 AM »
I don't think it'll affect the number of badges available that much. Especially if it's just for Saturday, or even just for the time frame of the masquerade.

I do think it's a great idea though. I couldn't imagine being someone who put a ton of work and hours into something, and then not being able to get a badge.

Friends of Comic Cons

The Gossamer

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 06:27:14 AM »
I say good work on that! Although I think it shouldn't be a 4 day w/p. Maybe just for Sat. or an additional day (excluding p/n). I can see the difficulties for masquerade people trying to get a costume together and everything hinges on getting a badge.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 06:28:25 AM »
here's the official site & wording

Our contestants go to much work to craft their amazing creations, but some who are confirmed as contestants are unable to buy attendee badges due to the sell-out. For ONLY those contestants who have been accepted into the Masquerade at least once since 2011, if you’ve a costume suitable for the show, and submit an entry form and photos, and we deem you meet the acceptance criteria as listed in the rules, we can arrange for contestants to be able to buy a 2015 attendee badge so they can participate, despite badges being sold out. Email the coordinator at [email protected] for more information. Please note: there are a limited number of such badges available, and a limited number of contestant slots.
- See more at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline thawk

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 124
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 08:45:06 AM »
I did know this, but they have asked entrants in the past not to advertise it because they didn't want the system to be abused.  You have to send them a picture of your costume so they can verify quality.  Also, if you win a category, you get free badges to the subsequent year.  I was an entrant and winner in 2013:

nana nana nana nana BATMAN...!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 09:02:28 AM »
belated congrats

some good costume there!

to chris c. & mllny;  he is Batman
 8)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
I did know this, but they have asked entrants in the past not to advertise it because they didn't want the system to be abused.  You have to send them a picture of your costume so they can verify quality.  Also, if you win a category, you get free badges to the subsequent year.  I was an entrant and winner in 2013:

It makes sense that CCI would ask Masquerade participants to keep it between themselves.

Indeed!  A belated congratulations.  That's an amazing Batman cosplay!

Did anyone else notice that the Masquerade contact e-mail address is @comic-con.net not @comic-con.org?  I have never seen CCI use @comic-con.net...

Our contestants go to much work to craft their amazing creations, but some who are confirmed as contestants are unable to buy attendee badges due to the sell-out. For ONLY those contestants who have been accepted into the Masquerade at least once since 2011, if you’ve a costume suitable for the show, and submit an entry form and photos, and we deem you meet the acceptance criteria as listed in the rules, we can arrange for contestants to be able to buy a 2015 attendee badge so they can participate, despite badges being sold out. Email the coordinator at [email protected] for more information. Please note: there are a limited number of such badges available, and a limited number of contestant slots.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:53:25 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 10:58:32 AM »
Yeah sometimes there really is too much info (TMI) and some things are better left unsaid and uncovered. Not as an "elitest" but more to keep the integrity of they system which seems to be what even CCI wants in this case.

I have to confess, after reading this, it did cross my mind for a moment that if there ever reaches a time I'm unable to secure badges or it becomes impossible maybe I'd be desperate enough to do this. Not really but it was just that moment thought so I know if I had it, a good share who now know this will too and you know there probably will be a few that try to back door this way. Oh well. More power to them I guess.
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 01:06:11 PM »
Did anyone else notice that the Masquerade contact e-mail address is @comic-con.net not @comic-con.org?  I have never seen CCI use @comic-con.net...

i wonder if that's a boo-boo?  anyone used that .net email addy & gotten a response?  if not maybe use the contact us forum in the mem. id area?

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 01:13:15 PM »
i wonder if that's a boo-boo?  anyone used that .net email addy & gotten a response?  if not maybe use the contact us forum in the mem. id area?

I was wondering the same thing, whether or not it's a typo.

Hmmm...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 01:39:57 PM »

That's a great costume, Thawk! I can see why you won!

That's very interesting to know that they have done this in the past, and it makes me feel better about them (continuing to) offer it this year.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 01:47:18 PM »

I was wondering the same thing, whether or not it's a typo.

Hmmm...

I did a bit of research, and for Comic-Con 2014, the Masquerade e-mail address was listed as "[email protected]" (which suggests that it is a separate account apart from the ".org" addresses created by the coordinator to manage e-mails).

Source at CCI 2014's Masquerade rules: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

EDIT:
I can confirm that you get a bounce back message when you try to e-mail "[email protected]." 

In other words, use "masquerade@comic-con.net" when you contact CCI's Masquerade Department.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:53:43 PM by Zero »

Offline thawk

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 124
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 08:01:46 PM »
Thanks for the kind words friends :)  Wishing everyone good luck on our efforts to get badges this year.
nana nana nana nana BATMAN...!

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 08:53:37 PM »
My only concern is would it cut down on the number of available Saturday badges for purchase at registration?
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 09:31:35 PM »
If it did, only by a very small percentage. Only a few hundred (at most) people have competed in the masquerade since 2011, and even if every single one of them tried to use this rule to get a badge, there are only maybe 30 spots in the masquerade. Even if each of those 30 slots was a six-person group, that's 180 badges, total. And that means none of those people got full-Con badges (unlikely), and that CCI gave out zero slots to new Masquerade hopefuls (which seems doubtful).

It's hard to lose any badges out of the gen reg pool, but this seems unlikely to have a real impact given then enormous numbers of people who want Saturday badges vs the tiny number of people in a position to take advantage of this.