Author Topic: Changes to Terms and Conditions  (Read 14104 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: Changes to Terms and Conditions
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »
I'm waiting for Khanh's 3rd rhyme.

Ooooo.  I got it:  Don't do the rhyme if you can't do the time!

:P
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:40:55 PM by Chris Chen »

Offline Mario_c

• Ballroom 20
  • Comedian, Comic Book Writer, Fashionisto
    • My Links
  • Liked: 53
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 01:41:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you're too tanned, you're gettin' scanned! #nerdprofiling

It's a good thing this is comic con, then. I'm sure the group of "people who hardly see the sun enough to tan" is a little bit more than a minority.

j/k

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:58:52 PM »

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 01:42:35 PM »
I'm waiting for Khanh's 3rd rhyme.

Ooooo.  I got it:  Don't do the rhyme if you can't do the time!

:P

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! too much pressure! /headexplodes
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »
Will the scan the cosplayers' badges? ;)  I'm sort of joking, but sort of not. I've seen people who tried to scam their way in by being in an elaborate cosplay... like, 'why would I be in this fancy costume if I didn't have a badge?' type attitude...

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 01:47:54 PM »
Will the scan the cosplayers' badges? ;)  I'm sort of joking, but sort of not. I've seen people who tried to scam their way in by being in an elaborate cosplay... like, 'why would I be in this fancy costume if I didn't have a badge?' type attitude...

Nope, cosplayers have to have a badges at all times as well.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »
Nope, cosplayers have to have a badges at all times as well.

Oh I know. But I'm saying I've seen people who try to act otherwise. (usually to hide the fact that they don't have a badge)

The Gossamer

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »
What I got from this reading between the lines is to keep a shadow of doubt over people who would use stolen, scalped or fake badges at the door. I do not think they (security) would scan every badge but have the option to stop anyone for a "security" check of your badge. This keeps people aware that big brother is watching you. It is like being in a store with multiple cameras, who knows which are fake or who's watching. Keeps more people honest.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 02:16:24 PM »
Oh I know. But I'm saying I've seen people who try to act otherwise. (usually to hide the fact that they don't have a badge)

Gotcha, those people who try to pull a fast one are going to get in trouble this year.

What I got from this reading between the lines is to keep a shadow of doubt over people who would use stolen, scalped or fake badges at the door. I do not think they (security) would scan every badge but have the option to stop anyone for a "security" check of your badge. This keeps people aware that big brother is watching you. It is like being in a store with multiple cameras, who knows which are fake or who's watching. Keeps more people honest.

Agreed.  Essentially they are saying, "Give up scalpers and go home."  As long as the badge check delays are minimal, I am all for this.

I gotta believe that Comic con being so hard on scalpers really does allow a lot of people to attend at the show's intended price.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 02:18:06 PM »

I would agree.  There will be the potential of having badges checked and scanned at various locations at the convention, but I don't believe they will do it all the time at all hours of the day. It would definitely bottleneck the flow of people in lines in any area.  Personally, it's already difficult to be waiting in some lines for as long as three or four hours as it is--CCI may get riots if the badge checks and ID checks happen too frequently.  (Ha ha.)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 02:26:05 PM »
Just covering their behinds and making more explicit their rule that they can and will check badges whenever they want. It's not very different from what's always been out there but now they've just added some more verbage to it.

My only concern is that we get some overachieving, chip on their shoulder security guard who will take this to mean that they have been given authority to harrass every attendee.

And the other thing this will hopefully remind everyone is to be friendly and courteous to everyone at the con! Not that anyone here would ever try to sneak in w/ an illegal badge but being polite will decrease the likelihood that you get stopped for the cavity search. Unless you're into that sort of thing...
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 02:32:12 PM »
Just covering their behinds and making more explicit their rule that they can and will check badges whenever they want. It's not very different from what's always been out there but now they've just added some more verbage to it.

My only concern is that we get some overachieving, chip on their shoulder security guard who will take this to mean that they have been given authority to harrass every attendee.

And the other thing this will hopefully remind everyone is to be friendly and courteous to everyone at the con! Not that anyone here would ever try to sneak in w/ an illegal badge but being polite will decrease the likelihood that you get stopped for the cavity search. Unless you're into that sort of thing...

Very true.  I can see a few security guards being overzealous about badge checks, especially at the main entrance to the convention center.  In my opinion, if it gets to the point where a security guard is consistently harassing attendees about badges (and many people know of this), it might be best to bring it to the attention of a CCI staff member to call the right person to instruct the guard to either [1] inform that person that the aggression is not tolerated, or [2] be removed from that spot and get replaced with another security personnel.  (This would be in the event of an extreme case though...)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Billyconard

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »
I could see them doing a good number of badge checks this year to follow through on the announcement.   It would also set a precedent that they are serious. I don't think they'll make it obtrusive at all.

This is a great step to take to reduce scalpers.  It would make me much less likely to buy a second hand pass if it wasn't in my name.  Especially when people want $1000

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »
i just checked around and i don't think there's any badges for sale on craigs list in SD or on ebay.  in LA is different tho, 3 offers there. cci has be alerted
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
I could see them doing a good number of badge checks this year to follow through on the announcement.   It would also set a precedent that they are serious. I don't think they'll make it obtrusive at all.

This is a great step to take to reduce scalpers.  It would make me much less likely to buy a second hand pass if it wasn't in my name.  Especially when people want $1000

Well, theoretically, I think it's safe to say that they already do badge checks at the main doors to the convention center.   Now, I feel that--as a few others have stated in this thread--they are actively verbalizing their anti-scalping measures.  I do believe that checking photo IDs and badges together will create stalls in line flow (versus just checking badges).

Offline Billyconard

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 03:05:29 PM »
Ya. They always have you show your badge at doors, but this indicates a different level of checking to me.

As for scalping - don't most people scalp onsite anyways?  If I was buying a scalped badge I would buy it live after someone picked it up.  I wouldn't trust someone on Craigslist.