Author Topic: Changes to Terms and Conditions  (Read 14102 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: Changes to Terms and Conditions
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 03:07:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i just checked around and i don't think there's any badges for sale on craigs list in SD or on ebay.  in LA is different tho, 3 offers there. cci has be alerted

Along those lines, if people see tickets being scalped on line (or off line), please report the sale to the host site (eBay, Craigslist, classifieds, etc) to let them know that someone is trying to sell a non-transferrable item.   I do not know if CCI also wants to be notified as well, but this is a good first step.

The CCI staff is not very big and if we help, it helps keep the ticket costs at what the event organizers intended.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 03:08:43 PM »
Ya. They always have you show your badge at doors, but this indicates a different level of checking to me.

As for scalping - don't most people scalp onsite anyways?  If I was buying a scalped badge I would buy it live after someone picked it up.  I wouldn't trust someone on Craigslist.

True but there are a good # of posts on Craigslist that would say something like, pay a deposit (say half of the negotiated price) and we can arrange to meet at the con where you pay the 2nd half.  Nothing can prevent the seller from taking the half and running off with it.  They'll ask for some amount to "hold" the badge for you and also so that you can't screw them and leave them hanging w/ a badge even if their intent is to screw you...
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 11:29:20 AM »

Offline Mario_c

• Ballroom 20
  • Comedian, Comic Book Writer, Fashionisto
    • My Links
  • Liked: 53
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 03:14:12 PM »
The CCI staff is not very big and if we help, it helps keep the ticket costs at what the event organizers intended.

Maybe they'll make us honorary employees! Seriously though, this is a good move that I hope they enforce. i dont mind waiting an extra little while as someone checks my ID. I just hope the guy doesnt take it to the TSA level and asks me to take off my glasses since my photo has me spectacle-less. Guess what? it's still me! (hannibal buress joke)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 03:17:04 PM »
Maybe they'll make us honorary employees! Seriously though, this is a good move that I hope they enforce. i dont mind waiting an extra little while as someone checks my ID. I just hope the guy doesnt take it to the TSA level and asks me to take off my glasses since my photo has me spectacle-less. Guess what? it's still me! (hannibal buress joke)

Or, if one happens to get a really short hair cut, and the photo on the ID doesn't look like that person anymore.  *laughs*  Thinking about that, some cosplayers will look really different from their photo IDs as well, but hopefully, the security guards should understand that this is a convention and people do dress up.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »
Maybe they'll make us honorary employees!

There's a few people that I think they should make honorary employees.  There is a lot of people that have been consistently answering questions for years who it would be nice to see CCI recognize for their hard (free) work.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 03:37:36 PM »
I think the fact that you have a legit ID that has a name that matches the badge should be pretty sufficient. I don't think any scalpers would give you a fake ID w/ their badge sale.

Plus how many times have we gone shopping somewhere, given the cashier our ID and credit card and they don't even look up at us to confirm that we match our driver's license?

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 03:40:38 PM »
I think the fact that you have a legit ID that has a name that matches the badge should be pretty sufficient. I don't think any scalpers would give you a fake ID w/ their badge sale.

Plus how many times have we gone shopping somewhere, given the cashier our ID and credit card and they don't even look up at us to confirm that we match our driver's license?

That's true!  Sometimes, when that happens, I feel that it's almost pointless to show the photo ID to them... *sighs*

I suppose, as long as the name matches and you can tell that the person is the one in the photo, it shouldn't be a problem.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 03:45:12 PM »
Or, if one happens to get a really short hair cut, and the photo on the ID doesn't look like that person anymore.  *laughs*  Thinking about that, some cosplayers will look really different from their photo IDs as well, but hopefully, the security guards should understand that this is a convention and people do dress up.

That's a really good point, Zero. A lot of people may not look like their photo ID pictures.

OTOH, the RFID scanners have potential. They could put all of your Member ID information on there. So someone could scan your badge and then ask 'when were you born?' or 'what's your address?' or 'what's your zip code?' or some such. And if you can't answer quickly enough, then they can pull you over for 'extra ID screening'...

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »
Honestly, I don't see them actually doing that. It's a little too extreme even for Comic-Con.

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2012, 04:02:20 PM »
There will always be scalpers and people looking to turn a buck. There are plenty of work arounds even to this new policy. I can think of several right now. I think what Comic Con fails to understand is if someone is determined to scalp they will find a way. This might stop the average joe from selling his last day but truthfully that is a small percentage of the violators. This will not stop the true scalper, it will only cause the rest of us to suffer in an additional long line.

Comic Con is the Super Bowl of cons not everyone who wants to go gets to go, ddssss so like the Super Bowl tickets get scalped, sold on eBay, stub hub, etc. That's a reality. As long as you state you re not supposed to and threaten consequences, you've done your due diligence. 
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »
There will always be scalpers and people looking to turn a buck. There are plenty of work arounds even to this new policy. I can think of several right now. I think what Comic Con fails to understand is if someone is determined to scalp they will find a way. This might stop the average joe from selling his last day but truthfully that is a small percentage of the violators. This will not stop the true scalper, it will only cause the rest of us to suffer in an additional long line.

Comic Con is the Super Bowl of cons not everyone who wants to go gets to go, ddssss so like the Super Bowl tickets get scalped, sold on eBay, stub hub, etc. That's a reality. As long as you state you re not supposed to and threaten consequences, you've done your due diligence. 

I do agree.  There will always be a level of scalping that neither CCI or their volunteers can detect.  It is the reality of "supply and demand," but it doesn't hurt to try to foil scalpers' plans at trying to make a quick buck from illegal badge sales though.  I believe the point is that CCI is trying.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »
Just cuz they can shouldn't mean it should be easy for them.  :D

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »
Just cuz they can shouldn't mean it should be easy for them.  :D

...And, make them go through several burning hoops and jump many hurdles for scalping badges.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2012, 05:15:30 PM »
There will always be scalpers and people looking to turn a buck. There are plenty of work arounds even to this new policy. I can think of several right now.

Fair enough. But I'm not thinking of that way right now. Out of curiosity (I am NOT interested in scalping badges, merely understanding the potential holes in the system) how do you think scalpers could get around these new measures?

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2012, 05:21:27 PM »
The new measures won't really change the way scalpers do business.  It'll just be the buyer who gets affected should they be caught w/ the badge in someone else's name.  CCI might ban the Member ID the badge was purchased w/ but they would just create another one.

I don't know if there's a big counterfeiting issue w/ the badges but any new tech added to it would make it more difficult to reproduce.