Author Topic: Discussion re: CCI FB comments (from CCI Posts and Announcements Forum)  (Read 21203 times)

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
Who you callin' a pervert? Oh.

I agree w/ what you're saying but I think constructive criticism should always be welcomed but that any changes should be minor and done over time. Major changes such as a different venue or extending the # of days should only be considered as a last resort and only after considerable research.

WonderCon is an excellent alternative especially for the Californians who miss out on SDCC. In some ways, it's more fun than SDCC since the size is much more manageable and the event less crowded. You might not get 4+ days of wall-to-wall excitement but you still get a ton of value for a fraction of the price.

BTW, 2 Super Bowls would give the Niners 2 times the opportunity to win another one! Sign me up!
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
At the end of the day stop trying to change SDCC to better suit YOUR needs or the needs of the whiners upset that they did not get badges. The system works well and only needs minor changes to fix bugs that pop up.  If you really feel there should be more convention time i suggest you make your own Con.  I have a friend at work who has been doing this for the past year, getting rental rates, contacting people to be guest, and looking for sponsors.  Its major work it sucks but you will get a better feel for what goes into CCIs daily job. 

You say this about serving a bigger fan base yet not once have i seen you suggest that those unable to go to SDCC try for WonderCon.  Its hosted by CCI also and is often said to be just like SDCC was before it went "mainstream".  Also i am sorry but all those people b***hing about Badges, needing to move to a new convention center, or making major changes to SDCC's format are not "fans".  Fans are loyal, grateful, and understanding.  Fans are fans because the LIKE something not because they want to change something just to they can partake.

A final thought on the subject of changing major events.  Ever wonder why there is only ONE Superbowl? How about a famous singer they do one show and move along.  Heck even a small circus only comes to town for a week.  These are events that sell because of the package they offer. People buy into an event and expect a certain level of return from it. Diluting and event just to bring in more people does nothing be diminish was the event not enhance it. They dont clear out the Superbowl at half time so they can bring in a new round of people, singers dont kick you out half way though a set.  When you are ready to talk about enhancing SDCC come back and talk i will be all ears. Keep trying to diminish, dilute, or pervert it and i will go Gandalf on you....YOU SHALE NOT PASS

whoa . . . take a step back.

breathe in, breathe out
breathe in, breathe out

I think most people are only looking to help. If it is working for you now, cool. It works fine for me.

Nerd rage is a powerful thing.

Friends of Comic Cons

The Gossamer

When did this turn into a flame war? :-\

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
Just passionate fans discussing. As long as there are no direct personal attacks it can continue.

Ideally we would love to see ideas that can be presented at the talkback panel.

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 71
For it to be a flame war it would have to turn personal.  I have no grudge against anyone here.  I have issues only with those type of people I stated above. Those whom feel the world should change to suit them.   As kvthia said consturctive comments are welcome but beating dead horses is not. 

As for my comments being nerd rage you are mistaken.  If I was nerd raging I would spout totally moronic statements ignoring any and all reasonable debate. Small changes to fix problems are needed there is no denying that.  I simply believe sdcc need a facelift not a full body replacement.

That is what we should be using or minds for....let's find the small things we can make meaningful changes to or suggestions about.
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge

As for my comments being nerd rage you are mistaken.  If I was nerd raging I would spout totally moronic statements ignoring any and all reasonable debate. Small changes to fix problems are needed there is no denying that.  I simply believe sdcc need a facelift not a full body replacement.

I think it was bringing LoTR into it that pushed it over the edge for me. I'm sure it was a joke, as was what I wrote.

What small tweaks do you suggest? There are only three ways to deal with the current bottleneck:

1. Expand Capacity
2. Reduce Demand
3. Do Nothing and force people to deal

I think everybody hopes that 2 would happen naturally as Geek Culture starts to wane. It just doesn't look like it will happen soon. Certainly not in the foreseeable future. So that leaves artificial ways of achieving either of the first two.

I am fundamentally an advocate for number 3. If you read my comments, I think that's clear. But it is interesting to thing about ways of doing 1 and 2. As someone who runs a large business and works in a major corporation daily, I see a lot of possibilities.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
I think option 1 is being worked on w/ the proposed expansion plans. Option 2 may happen on its own if Hollywood pulls back a bit or looks into their own vehicle for promoting their product. Option 3 comes w/ a small caveat in things like adding a Member ID system and tweaking the pre-reg.

As others have stated many times, there's always going to be a # of folks left out and they will always be the loudest complainers regardless of what system is in place.

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
I say we just wait another 10 years until the being "nerdy" or "geeky" fad passes. Pop culture will find something else to latch on. We just need to ride out the wave.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The Gossamer

I say we just wait another 10 years until the being "nerdy" or "geeky" fad passes. Pop culture will find something else to latch on. We just need to ride out the wave.
     I do hope this "fad" does wane but if Hollywood continues to use this venue to roll out every movie and t.v. show it will not end. Long ago in the past before 2003 most people I know thought of the Comic Con as a pure geek fest and  looked at me as sort of a oddball attending all 4 days. They couldn't understand why someone would go at all. Now look at it years later and everyone is trying to jump on the bandwagon.

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
Sorry for the long delay in answer was dealing with some personal things.

OK Trev this might be why we see things so differently.  You see a main issue that can only be solved with three options.  I see no main issue as those are so fair beyond our control and even CCIs control, its nuts.  SD will do whatever it thinks is best so that knocks off any sort of control over the expansion. Added days was already shot down by CCI as to hard on themselves, the vendors and fans trying to attend.  So what about option 2? There are really only a few ways to do this, price it way out of reach for many fans, Change what is offered so that SDCC is no longer see as the hot event any more, Host another event close to the timing of SDCC (this would still have to be some time after SDCC say 2-3 months).  The final option is 3 which is think is best. As already stated you cant please everyone, cant seat everyone, cant house everyone or even cant feed everyone. This option is really the only thing those of us not part of CCI can do.

I see issues with the ID system, Not really the IDs themselves but the limitation of the email and the company CCI uses.  I have spotted more then one data base issue with the service that lead to people not getting emails. IE emails sent to old emails even after CCI directed us to change them off yahoo and AOL.  Fix that issue one less snag in the system.

I see issues with CCI's partner companies lack of transparency. TP and Ace parking both basically went rogue this year and left CCI in the dark.  I wonder how many times a NDA stop CCI form pointing the finger at a partner calling them out on the hold ups and problems people place on them. Customer surveys like the one TP is doing right now and complaints to the companies will help them improve their relations not only with CCI but us.

Lines are another issue.  People will want to line up or room camp for their favorite panels or swag giveaways.  Elite and CCI need to partner more to be sure everyone is on the same page for lines and how to proper pack as many people into a line as safely posible. I am sure many people can tell you about line nightmares and BS events that happened do to a lack of training.  Teach them how to make, mark and plan for an expanding line.

Pre-reg for last years attendies.  Majorly hot topic but it does need to be handled fairly and soon. CCI as a business is bleeding off many long time attendees.  This is never good for any business but for CCI it could mean their death in the future. CCI has to walk a fine line of keeping old-timers happy so that when the geek chic bubble pops they will still have attendees and keeping enough openings for fresh blood that helps replace the normally losses each year + brings in new shoppers for the exhibit hall.  CCI has taken the first step in this process by doing their survey.  The question is what is the community willing to accept? 40% saved for returning, maybe 60%?

These are just a few of the things i think CCI has control over and could use extra minds helping them fix. 
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
Yes there is a large operating assumption that cci wants to service more fans but there is a chance that is false.

The rise in pricing over the last 3 years seems like an attempt to stem the demand.

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
I dont think the rise in pricing is an attempt at stemming the tide of people wanting to join. I think cost have honestly gotten way out of hand.  I have no hard numbers to prove this but at one point we ran the cost of just the elites alone and it was something like 250K. that was using low end numbers, ya know those bus routes cost what a million easy for it?
-Chris Hagish

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
i have to second Chris's assertion, if we want services like free shuttles, an android app, insurance so if CCI is sued it doesn't close, etc., we have to pay for it.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline escape

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 27
Yes there is a large operating assumption that cci wants to service more fans but there is a chance that is false.

I honestly don't think that they'd want to have more fans.  I don't think the rise in pricing will be what does that anyway... I think it's the hoops they're making people jump through to attend in the first place.

As for fixing things, I think what needs to be recognized first is that CCI (IMO) created quite a bit of this hype themselves.  First, they took preview night down to a lower amount of people in 2009, causing a bunch of worry over getting 4 day + preview night passes.  Then, when that sold out of the preview night passes at SDCC 2010, they decided to only sell a certain amount of ALL passes during 2011. And THEN was the member ID system and the online ticket sales that were such a pain. All of this has made the hype and how hard it is to get a ticket even harder.  I think some of it is a gross over exaggeration of what reality was.  And now no onsite badges at all this year? 

In 2009, tickets sold out faster, but I was able to buy one (with preview night) all the way in November.   In 2010, I walked up to a kiosk in the Sails Pavilion at 3pm on Sunday afternoon and bought a 4 day + Preview night with absolutely no problems and with no line.  The only time I've had a problem was 2011, when we had to go offsite and lose a bunch of time in order to get a badge.   Hoops.  Every step they make is another hoop for fans to jump through. 

This is all opinion, of course, but I can say that I have become increasingly disappointed over the years.  People blame the increased media and the fans from other genres, etc.  But I do think that CCI has a VERY big role in what's going on and until they acknowledge that and work to actually do something, then it's not going to get better.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
The rise in pricing over the last 3 years seems like an attempt to stem the demand.

There has been a gradual increase in pricing each year for some time (since 2006?).  What this increase is for, I am unsure of.  Probably just the increasing cost of running the show/inflation/etc, but I could be wrong.

The reason for the big jump in pricing for the 4-day with preview passes is CCI was hearing that a number of people were buying full passes only to attend for one panel with no intention of using the pass for the reminder of the show.   When CCI announced ticket prices for 2012, they specifically said that they were increasing the price of the 4-day with preview to discourage that type of behavior to allow more people to attend all 4 days who really want to see the whole show and not just one panel.