Author Topic: SDCC 2016 PRE-REGISTRATION Discussion Thread  (Read 73037 times)

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
Re: SDCC 2016 PRE-REGISTRATION Discussion Thread
« Reply #870 on: November 23, 2015, 10:39:33 AM »
This discussion peaked my interest, so I went back and scanned all the badges I have going back eight years.

What I found was that every badge, at least from 2008 and on, includes your name, full address, phone number, email address, and badge confirmation number.

Starting in 2012, the bar code also includes what looks like a public-key encryption string.  I'm not sure what that was used for.

So yes, if you let a vendor scan your badge, they will have a lot of personal information about you.

Offline trekster

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #871 on: November 23, 2015, 10:50:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This discussion peaked my interest, so I went back and scanned all the badges I have going back eight years.

What I found was that every badge, at least from 2008 and on, includes your name, full address, phone number, email address, and badge confirmation number.

Starting in 2012, the bar code also includes what looks like a public-key encryption string.  I'm not sure what that was used for.

So yes, if you let a vendor scan your badge, they will have a lot of personal information about you.
Thanks for that!  I always wondered but never bothered to find out.  I never let vendors scan my badge.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #872 on: Today at 03:29:33 AM »

Offline admiral-lira

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 46
« Reply #872 on: November 23, 2015, 01:47:50 PM »

As far as the RFID scanners at the event go, I suppose that could happen, but it depends on the amount of information they encode and how they secure it.  I think using scanned information to create counterfeit badges would be unlikely because they not only need the chip information; they have to fabricate a plastic badge (presumably) with proper graphics and size which will not be known until just before the show.

They could only encode a serial number in every badge that can be deactivated if they detect unusual behaviour or go as far as a challenge based handshake.

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #873 on: November 23, 2015, 02:01:18 PM »
Has anyone ever won anything from allowing vendors to scan your badge? I've gone for the last 10 or so years, and haven't met one person that won something. If anything, this is probably how we end up with spam emails.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
« Reply #874 on: November 23, 2015, 02:14:54 PM »

Has anyone ever won anything from allowing vendors to scan your badge? I've gone for the last 10 or so years, and haven't met one person that won something. If anything, this is probably how we end up with spam emails.
I have a few times; last time was a $250 gift card to a prop replica place (can't remember name right now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #875 on: November 23, 2015, 02:17:01 PM »
I have a few times; last time was a $250 gift card to a prop replica place (can't remember name right now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool! It's nice to hear a success story once in a while. Congrats!

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #876 on: November 23, 2015, 05:47:38 PM »

Someone on a con group on fb won a huge prize a few years ago. I've never won though but so many people enter though

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1766
« Reply #877 on: November 24, 2015, 07:58:59 AM »
Someone on a con group on fb won a huge prize a few years ago. I've never won though but so many people enter though
I haven't won in a few years; the spam my CCI email is general my spam email account anyway, and at this point monitoring spam calls or mail isn't a problem.
That being said, I only do the badge-scan thing when a) I'm buying something and I 'have' to or b) it's really cool swag.  I generally stay away from free posters, bags, etc. and I always have the mindset of "do I REALLY want whatever the swag is enough to potentially field a phone call or deal with spam?"  Sideshow always has really cool stuff that I don't mind getting on their mail list, and there are some really cool companies.  More often than not, though, I just pass

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #878 on: March 30, 2016, 08:43:58 PM »
Forum Housekeeping:
Closing this thread because we're past both pre-registration and open registration, but I'll leave this as a stickied thread for reference for the time being.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:50:29 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...