Author Topic: SDCC 2016 GENERAL REGISTRATION Discussion Thread  (Read 50384 times)

Offline nedoeht3705

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 109
Re: SDCC 2016 GENERAL REGISTRATION Discussion Thread
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2016, 08:45:56 PM »
I think with the RFID being incorporated into the badges this year they can just cancel the lost one and issue a new badge on the day. But that's me just theorizing

Offline foor

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2016, 08:49:36 PM »
Thanks Zero and nedoeht3705. To be safe I'll contact them and see how it goes and then post their response here.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #167 on: Today at 06:29:22 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2016, 08:54:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think with the RFID being incorporated into the badges this year they can just cancel the lost one and issue a new badge on the day. But that's me just theorizing

Theoretically, that's possible, but I think people are concerned about how they'll implement the "lost" or "missing" badge policy.  If the buyer says he shipped it to you but you didn't receive it, how will CCI resolve that?  Does that count as a "lost" badge?  Will they issue you a new badge on-site?

As a few of us have already mentioned previously, the information available is contradictory: In one case, yes, they'll replace the badge if you didn't get it from the buyer properly.  In another case, no, they won't replace the badge, and you're supposed to trust the buyer if you're working in a buying group.

Thanks Zero and nedoeht3705. To be safe I'll contact them and see how it goes and then post their response here.

Cool.  Thanks for taking care of that, foor.  Please do let us know.  I'll post any replies from CCI here as well.  ^__^
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline foor

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2016, 09:12:44 PM »
Theoretically, that's possible, but I think people are concerned about how they'll implement the "lost" or "missing" badge policy.  If the buyer says he shipped it to you but you didn't receive it, how will CCI resolve that?  Does that count as a "lost" badge?  Will they issue you a new badge on-site?

As a few of us have already mentioned previously, the information available is contradictory: In one case, yes, they'll replace the badge if you didn't get it from the buyer properly.  In another case, no, they won't replace the badge, and you're supposed to trust the buyer if you're working in a buying group.

Cool.  Thanks for taking care of that, foor.  Please do let us know.  I'll post any replies from CCI here as well.  ^__^

I'm also thinking worst case scenario. Even if the buyer is 100% trustworthy, and if something happens that the buyer is somehow unable to be contacted during the timeframe tickets are being delivered, like family emergency, evicted, moving house, etc. Also in the instance if the buyer happens to be international and somehow doesn't show up at the pick up area. Nothing malicious but just bad luck and circumstances, would everybody in the group suffer as a consequence. Just trying to cover for any potential dramas.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:23:18 PM by foor »

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2016, 10:23:34 PM »
I have a question about the lost and stolen badge policy. If the buyer of a group mails out the badges to everyone and someone doesn't receive it, either it's lost in the mail or whatever, would that person just pick up a replacement badge at the event itself using the original buyer's barcode and email? Or would the "buyer" have to go on that person's behalf since the badge was bought under the buyer's name and address?

a clarification

1.  As it stands now,  Badges will mail out after the Refund date.

2.  After the pre-registration sale, each person in the group got a separate barcode email You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  with their own Name, Barcode, Confirmation Number, and Attendee Badge Info.  In the past, you needed that barcode to get a replacement.  Save that barcode email!

I'm also thinking worst case scenario. Even if the buyer is 100% trustworthy, and if something happens that the buyer is somehow unable to be contacted during the timeframe tickets are being delivered, like family emergency, evicted, moving house, etc.

"moved" is covered as undeliverable

From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Comic-Con 2016 Badge Confirmation E-mail (General Content)

"The name on your badge must match your photo ID when you arrive onsite."

"BADGE DELIVERY/PICK-UP:

Specific details regarding badge delivery will be sent to you at a later date.  All badges in your order will be shipped directly to the buyer's address.  We anticipate that badges will be sent out 3-4 weeks prior to Preview Night, July 20, 2016.  Badges not delivered for any reason (lost/stolen/forgot/dog scared the postman away/aliens/returned to sender) must be picked up onsite."

1.  Yeah, should be able to replace a badge that had your name on it as a security concern and get a new one issued, right?

Per CCI's Toucan 11/11/2015 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Q: Won’t sending out badges increase scalping?

A: Comic-Con has always taken a very active role in monitoring scalping activity both online and onsite. We have discovered that the majority of badges being sold on the after market are counterfeit. The Comic-Con Member ID system and the high level of demand make it very difficult for scalpers to purchase more than a couple of badges, so unscrupulous sellers have resorted to creating their own. RFID technology will help us eliminate the counterfeit badges that are being sold to unsuspecting customers, and will also allow us to “turn off” RFID badges that were stolen, lost, or undelivered.

Comic-Con badges will continue to be printed with your full name, and you may be asked to show photo identification that matches the name on your badge when you arrive.

2.   I think the only definite thing CCI has said is that they will not Replace by Mail.

Badges unable to be delivered for any reason — lost, stolen, moved, returned to sender — may be replaced onsite only. Badges will not be reshipped/shipped twice under any circumstances.

scary scenario.

Will CCI charge a nominal fee for an undeliverable (lost, stolen, moved, returned to sender) badge and a higher-than-nominal fee for a delivered badge, which got lost, which may be comparable/equal to the remaining days on the badge?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:28:00 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2016, 10:53:31 PM »
a clarification

1.  As it stands now,  Badges will mail out after the Refund date.

2.  After the pre-registration sale, each person in the group got a separate barcode email You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  with their own Name, Barcode, Confirmation Number, and Attendee Badge Info.  In the past, you needed that barcode to get a replacement.  Save that barcode email!

"moved" is covered as undeliverable

1.  Yeah, should be able to replace a badge that had your name on it as a security concern and get a new one issued, right?

Per CCI's Toucan 11/11/2015 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2.   I think the only definite thing CCI has said is that they will not Replace by Mail.

scary scenario.

Will CCI charge a nominal fee for an undeliverable (lost, stolen, moved, returned to sender) badge and a higher-than-nominal fee for a delivered badge, which got lost, which may be comparable/equal to the remaining days on the badge?

A good point, indeed.  Have your own bar code e-mail as back-up.  It could be very useful in various "lost" (stolen or undeliverable) badge situations.

Ah, Sam!  Shhhhhh.  Don't give CCI any ideas!  >__<;
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline foor

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2016, 11:16:28 PM »
a clarification

Thanks SamTurtledove. So everyone in the group got separate emails with separate barcodes? That makes it easier then. I was under the assumption that only the buyer got the barcode and that the single barcode covered the whole group of 3 or 4. I wasn't in pre-reg though.  I'll also wait for official word from cci on this if they get back to me.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2016, 11:35:30 PM »
Thanks SamTurtledove. So everyone in the group got separate emails with separate barcodes? That makes it easier then. I was under the assumption that only the buyer got the barcode and that the single barcode covered the whole group of 3 or 4. I wasn't in pre-reg though.  I'll also wait for official word from cci on this if they get back to me.

Yes, that's correct.  Each person should have gotten their own badge bar code e-mail.  The bar code e-mails go to each individual.  In other words, even if the buyer got your badge for you in his or her registration session, the buyer doesn't get your bar code e-mail.  That's sent directly from CCI's registration vendor (EPIC Registration) to the e-mail address listed on your Member ID account.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2016, 06:52:39 AM »
Another issue (and hopefully we will hear an announcement on this soon) is people who upgrade badges.

For example, Person A has Person B buy a Thurs/Sun badge for then in pre-reg. Then in open reg, Person C upgrades Person A to a 4 day badge. Does Person A's badge get mailed to Person B or Person C?

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2016, 07:13:19 AM »
Another issue (and hopefully we will hear an announcement on this soon) is people who upgrade badges.

For example, Person A has Person B buy a Thurs/Sun badge for then in pre-reg. Then in open reg, Person C upgrades Person A to a 4 day badge. Does Person A's badge get mailed to Person B or Person C?

Could you e-mail CCI with this question and let us know what they say? 

Tackling them on three different badge-related fronts (ha ha).  ^__~

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2016, 08:52:06 AM »
Could you e-mail CCI with this question and let us know what they say? 

Tackling them on three different badge-related fronts (ha ha).  ^__~

Actually, I think there's a reasonable chance they will announce this somewhere (perhaps in a FAQ) before this Saturday's sale. But if they do not, I would be happy to ask them.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: February 15, 2016, 09:06:32 AM »
Actually, I think there's a reasonable chance they will announce this somewhere (perhaps in a FAQ) before this Saturday's sale. But if they do not, I would be happy to ask them.

Sounds like a plan!  Thanks, Transmute.

Offline TheToucanHasLanded

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2016, 09:42:44 AM »

Agree with this viewpoint based on other conventions that use RFID.  If your buyer doesn't send you your badge, you'll still have your own barcode confirmation  you can bring to the help desk to get your old "lost" badge turned off and issued a new one. Simple.

Offline TheToucanHasLanded

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #178 on: February 15, 2016, 09:45:45 AM »

Since all badges are being shipped to the buyer, Person B will have half his badges delivered to A and half his badges delivered to C. That's how I read the policy. All badge shipment is linked to the buyer only regardless when they were purchased.

EDIT - The wrinkle in that theory is if they get Preview Night. There is no separate PN badge (or at least there hasn't been in the past) so what happens if one person buys you Thu/Sun and then another person buys you Wed/Sat/Sun? Will we see single day Wednesday badges this year? Otherwise they'll have to consolidate the single days into one badge and then who is it shipped to?

I would think maybe the LAST buyer on record? The last buyer trumps the previous?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 09:49:16 AM by TheToucanHasLanded »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »
Since all badges are being shipped to the buyer, Person B will have half his badges delivered to A and half his badges delivered to C. That's how I read the policy. All badge shipment is linked to the buyer only regardless when they were purchased.

That may be true if CCI plans on using multiple badges for different days.  If it's a 4-day badge, it doesn't seem very likely that CCI will split up the badges to two different senders.  It would actually make more sense to code the RFID chip to include all four days and then ship the badge to one of the buyers (first or second).

Because of this RFID technology that they're moving toward, I would think they would try to take advantage of that, instead of making individual badges for each day for everyone who got multiple days.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:10:29 AM by Zero »