Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Volunteering Thread  (Read 62291 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: SDCC 2017 Volunteering Thread
« Reply #495 on: August 04, 2017, 11:48:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wonder if that had a bit to do with having already shown up for a shift previously, in which I'd guess Sunday's C-card validation, which affects next year's Priority Registration eligibility, really not necessary?  Were you able to get a second t-shirt?

Could be.  I don't have any idea how volunteering works behind the scene.  I didn't try to get another shirt since I already had gotten one from my pre con shift.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #496 on: August 04, 2017, 09:20:21 PM »
In the shifts I worked, there were too many volunteers.  In one shift, they doubled us up where we were posted where normally only one person would stand.  In another, most people ended up sitting on the floor off to the side waiting for their shift to end.  When I got there, I asked a guy from a previous shift what he had been doing.  He said he had been sitting there his entire shift.

That happens to me when I volunteer sometimes.  There's a chance it can be a busy, active shift, but other times, it can be dull due to lack of work or proper work delegation. 

One veteran staffer from one of the departments I was assigned to explained this to me once: The departments may request a certain number of attendee/daily volunteers from the Volunteers Department, but the volunteer shift system may or may not have updated designations for how many volunteers are needed for that one shift in a specific department.  Sometimes, it means that you'll have too many volunteers for a shift somewhere and too few elsewhere.  It was interesting information.  Makes you curious to know more.  Hm...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #497 on: Today at 03:43:54 AM »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #497 on: August 04, 2017, 09:39:45 PM »
I had that happen to me one time during comic con this year being partnered with another by chance, guess cause they to rotate help and i guess have more then need sometime depends on when one started and u got do 3 hrs unless they replace u early for any reason at time. once i was like even a shadow to one the floor bosses by chance and learn job which was pretty easy in ways but still made sure to shadow and help since i was like on shift on the clock so to speak so shadowed / followed and then chilled in areas to try stay out of way and help at same time. so i guess any given day they have more help then needed for any reason and need to see how many they really need for any given job for 3 hr time and all. some i guess had reg badge by chance and also volunteer chance so was able to be at con all week and so u get extra help at times. guess they always like to have the help , but sometimes have too much and partner u with others and learn along the way. but hope to do again next year and many more ahead.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #498 on: August 10, 2017, 03:16:47 PM »
Out of curiosity, since CCI updated some things today -- mainly the return reg. stuff to say if you are good for it, which I am -- in the volunteer area, everyone (well, fellow volunteers), your end has it saying that the program is full for 2017, right? No more green check for now? I know that part will be updated later on for 2018, and I also know that this is a silly thing to worry about, just I am so used to seeing that green check for that section. It is throwing me off. lol I did my one shift so I know I am good, just double checking. Nothing more.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:18:48 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #499 on: August 11, 2017, 06:44:33 AM »
Out of curiosity, since CCI updated some things today -- mainly the return reg. stuff to say if you are good for it, which I am -- in the volunteer area, everyone (well, fellow volunteers), your end has it saying that the program is full for 2017, right? No more green check for now? I know that part will be updated later on for 2018, and I also know that this is a silly thing to worry about, just I am so used to seeing that green check for that section. It is throwing me off. lol I did my one shift so I know I am good, just double checking. Nothing more.

I'm seeing the same thing.  This was my first year volunteering, so I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming there is nothing to worry about.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #500 on: August 11, 2017, 06:46:09 PM »
If anything and u made sure that u get all emails they send u, to check the account at random if u want. i know sometimes we try to get a jump on things for ea year early so not miss bus so to speak. u can check the log in area once a week or once a month besides be aware fo any email. i volunteerd first time myself and do again if can, since it one way to save even if they say to try get a reg badge but i know i didnt get one for reg so i check at open reg and chances are less so volunteer i go lol. i was lucky to not have to fry in sun since was able do same job ea day thankfully. hope i can stay inside again next year but i know it not guaranteed, but can hope and pray it possible.