Author Topic: What kind of event is SDCC for you?  (Read 5976 times)

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
What kind of event is SDCC for you?
« on: March 06, 2012, 09:31:48 AM »
Building off of a comment Rainer made in the tips thread, I'm curious about what kind of show SDCC is for you? Over the years, SDCC has become a mecca for geek culture -- whether it's your first show or your fifteenth (or thirtieth!), what is the big attraction for you at the show? Is it Anime? Cosplay? Comics? What is it. I've put as much as I could think of in the poll, but surely leaving something out.

There is a lot of fandom out at SDCC -- what kind of fan are you?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:37:00 AM by Trev »

Offline Rainer

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 0
Re: What kind of event is SDCC for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »
Great topic, Trev. As a strong supporter of all things artistic, I enjoy seeing and experiencing the tremendous talent that many possess. Comic-Con brings together such a vast assortment of creative minds that it always amazes me. :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:43:01 AM by Rainer »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:13:05 PM »

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Great topic, Trev. As a strong supporter of all things artistic, I enjoy seeing and experiencing the tremendous talent that many possess. Comic-Con brings together such a vast assortment of creative minds that it always amazes me. :)

I agree. One of the big attractions of SDCC for me is the variety of things there -- though SDCC is primarily a comics show for me since I grew up with comics. I really like the options to see some of the other panels, look at video games, new televison and movie promotions, and watching the outstanding cosplay.

Offline Musica1

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »
I'm interested in a lot of different things at Comic-con, but since you asked for the MAIN thing, I had to put movie and tv panels.  I like seeing the stars but my favorite panels have been the "how it's done" movie panels.  Richard Taylor did a great panel showing how Weta created  things for the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  For instance, he said they only gave the Uruk Hai armor on the front because they would never retreat.  And they gave them spikes on their helmets so that if their arms were cut off, they could keep fighting.

Offline psithi

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 01:33:16 PM »
It's still about the comics. And yes my first con was 1982. The Hollywood stuff is fun but I can live without it. Let them get their own conventions! Where else can I go look and Action #1, Amazing Fantasy 15. Tales of Suspense 39?
I'm going to get myself a golden age comic this year. Or some original art.
You kids get off my lawn, with your twist music and Snoopy dog..... :)

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's still about the comics. And yes my first con was 1982. The Hollywood stuff is fun but I can live without it. Let them get their own conventions! Where else can I go look and Action #1, Amazing Fantasy 15. Tales of Suspense 39?
I'm going to get myself a golden age comic this year. Or some original art.
You kids get off my lawn, with your twist music and Snoopy dog..... :)

Watch out if you get into Original Art -- that's a bug that's hard to shake. I've picked up more than a dozen pieces in the last few years. Love love love it, but once you start it can be tough to stop. :)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »
That's a tough poll... there are so many things to like about Comic Con! I put cosplay because I love dressing up in my costumes and wearing them around people who appreciate them! But I also love meeting up with friends from across the country, attending the panels, moving through the main floor, seeing the celebrities (both A list and B list, all the way down to D list) and checking out the latest in films, comics, books, TV, etc.

Offline TrustNo1

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 08:12:31 PM »
My main vote is comics because I hope to be a pro comic artist one day (lol...sigh) and so I'm really inspired by all the artwork and how-to panels and new comics and old comics, auuugh!!
But movie panels are a close second.  8)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
For me, Comic-Con is a mixture of my many interests in American and Japanese comics and the entertainment industries surrounding them.  It's not just one aspect that I enjoy.

I read American comics and Japanese manga--though these days, I've been so busy with college and work that I haven't had much time to catch up, ha ha.  I enjoy the sci-fi/fantasy and superhero-themed television shows and movies--to name a few from the top of my head: Star Trek, Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Warehouse 13, Lord of the Rings, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Fringe, and so forth.  I like roaming the Exhibit Hall and finding cool deals on art books and specialty merchandise.  (Getting some cool swag on way is great too!)

I love panels of my favorite comic artists as well as TV/movie directors, producers, actors, and the like.  I really like "how-to" panels and seeing how a simple ink stroke can become something amazing on just one sheet of paper.  However, at the same time, I like listening to artists/writers or producers/directors talk about the theme of an comic book issue or TV episode and how it contributes to the main storyline in a series.  There's just so much behind-the-scenes drawing, writing, editing, and revising involved before the final product is released, so it's always nice to get their viewpoints--as well as any actors' perspectives if it's a TV series--in the creation process.  (Additionally, I happen to staff for another convention, so I'm very interested in programming and production.  The really funny thing is that it doesn't relate to my major studies either, ha ha!) I also play a lot of video games, particularly RPGs, so I'm interested in some of those as well. 

I'm not a cosplayer, but I appreciate the hard work, time, and dedication that some individuals put into their costumes. Most of the time I'm really lazy about taking cosplay pictures (ha ha), but if there is a stand-out costume, I'll definitely take a few shots.  Even so, Comic-Con is a place to meet new people and make friends with similar hobbies, so that's another reason why it's such a great event.

All in all, I have widespread interests, and Comic-Con encompasses all of those in some way. ^-^
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:32:19 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 06:01:33 AM »
I chose other... because I have no real focus! I try to divide my time.

=========================================
I collect designer vinyl toys... so I hang around the toy growers cultyard to buy lots of things and go to artist signings and sometimes I get doodles.

I love certain tv series and movies... so I try to go to a panel or two and signings (Altho, the WB sucked last year with its raffle so I didn't get to go to any of their signings & Lionsgate totally screwed us over in the line for Conan which totally made me not even bother seeing the movie even tho I was excited about it :( and it still bothers me  >:( )

I love gaming... so we head to the demo areas and try new thing out.

I love anime/manga... so I'll pass by those booths and I may buy one or two books.

I love comics... so I'll pass by the discount booths especially and pick up a few if I can.

I love sci-fi... so I go for things with that. Mainly panels, signings, etc. I used to love sitting in the Sci-Fi booth before they went AWOL... now I visit the cafe for lunch.

I love exclusives (and toys in general)... so we're always in line for those and I take pictures of productions to come.

I love freebies... so I hang around the main large corporation area and stand in line to get those.

I love contests... so yes, I'm one of those people that will be following twitter and running around outside.
==========================================

And yes... I focus on doing all of that the entire time we're at the convention.

Offline Abunai

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »
I said 'other'. I'm a big comics fan, even studied comic arts in japan for a while during college. I'm also an artist by trade so I'm really excited to visit the artist alley and for the arts panels (my husband is not, but he's sweet and will go to those with me) But I'm also really into sci-fi in general, and a costumer. Comic con is pretty much nerdvana, and I'm SO excited!

Offline Billyconard

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »
The more I go to SDCC (since 2004), the less it is about the Television/Movie stuff.  Especially the panels.  The lines are just too long and the panels have been watered down so much with filtered content that they aren't worth it.  You can usually view them online afterwards too.

My favorite things about SDCC are (in no particular order):

Chance autograph signings and opportunities to meet comic creators on the floor.
Exclusives and SWAG
Kevin Smith's annual Hall H Panel
Watching the Masquerade ball (in one of the side viewing rooms with no lines)
Other small panels - Cartoon voices, Jim Lee sketching, etc.  Anything not in Ballroom 20 or Hall H.
Checking out Artists Alley

Don't get me wrong, I spend time in BR 20 and Hall H every year, but not as much as i use too. 

Offline morganville

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 08:40:08 PM »
I said Sci-fi/Fantasy...I absolutely LOVE it!  But also love the movie/t.v. panel, as well as sitting in with my authors' panels.  My skin tingles and my adrenaline rushes when I check-in to get my badges.  Just the atmosphere 4 blocks away is enticing. 
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.  "Eleonara", Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 01:15:38 AM »
I would have to go with all of the above except Twilight.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Offline Mario_c

• Ballroom 20
  • Comedian, Comic Book Writer, Fashionisto
    • My Links
  • Liked: 53
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 05:13:10 AM »
Comics is my first love when it comes to the con, movies is a close second but lately I have been feeling the video game displays more than I have for both comics and movies.