Author Topic: Any musicians / bands / etc. coming to Comic-Con?  (Read 2794 times)

Offline TheBlackMamba

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
Any musicians / bands / etc. coming to Comic-Con?
« on: April 09, 2016, 11:54:34 AM »
I've always thought there would be an opportunity for certain bands/musical acts to perform at SDCC and be a huge hit with the crowd.  But I have yet to see it.

Has this been done?  It's hasn't (at least in any significant way) at the ones I've been to over the last three years.  I'm thinking theatrical metal bands would kill.

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 83
Re: Any musicians / bands / etc. coming to Comic-Con?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've always thought there would be an opportunity for certain bands/musical acts to perform at SDCC and be a huge hit with the crowd.  But I have yet to see it.

Has this been done?  It's hasn't (at least in any significant way) at the ones I've been to over the last three years.  I'm thinking theatrical metal bands would kill.
There are a few performing this year at SDSU I think. Barenaked Ladies and Weird Al at least. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:36:31 AM »

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »

There are several off-site events where musical acts perform. MTV's Party in the Park had All Time Low and Flo Rida perform. It was pretty cool because they also gave away some swag to the guests and they also did the fandom awards which meant celebrity sightings as well. I know this year Weird Al Yankovic is having a concert in San Diego during SDCC for one of his tour stops. Totally isn't related to any of the convention programming or other off-sites but it would be fun nonetheless.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 01:10:48 PM »
Metallica in 2013 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline darkonfire

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 08:30:52 AM »
There are a few performing this year at SDSU I think. Barenaked Ladies and Weird Al at least. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks so much for this! I love BNL and Weird Al, definitely going to get tickets!

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 08:36:05 AM »
Kiss were there last year for their link up cartoon with Scooby Doo

Offline Shauni48

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 09:06:42 AM »
Linkin Park, Weezer and B.O.B also performed.

Offline frgx

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 769
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 06:12:28 PM »
You can get $20 tickets for a bunch of concerts this summer, including San Diego (Weird Al and Barenaked Ladies).

Convention Center zip code is 92101.

Offline hoserzgirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 10:50:13 PM »
SLAYER!
July 21 @ House of Blues

Slaaaayer! Comiiiiiiics! …Whaaaaat!? Yes, legendary thrashers Slayer will be taking over this year’s San Diego Comic-Con! They may not wear capes or fly, but they definitely have super shredding powers that will be on full display with a special performance.
Slayer will take the stage at the House of Blues for an intimate show on Thursday, July 21. Excited for the unique opportunity, guitarist Kerry King exclaimed, “Comic-Con?!? I can’t believe they are gonna let us shred the [House of Blues] San Diego!! It will definitely be a night of fury and intensity that the city won’t soon forget. We will be coming off a seven week European run, so Slayer’s guns will be blazing!”
Fans will have the chance to meet the band at two exclusive signings inside San Diego Comic-Con thanks to their publishing partnership with Dark Horse Comics. The signings will take place on Friday, July 22 at booth No. 2615 as well as the Nuclear Blast Records booth No. 501.
Tickets for the House of Blues performance go on sale Friday, May 20 at 10AM PT. More purchasing information can be found at Slayer’s website.
Also appearing at Comic-Con will be models of Slayer’s new line of BMX bicycles through their partnership with Subrosa. The ‘Cradle to Grave’ series boasts four models branded with Slayer iconography so you can reign while you ride. “My brother, my friends and I used to ride bikes in the early ’70s,” reflected frontman Tom Araya. “We built a figure-eight track with ramps in my backyard where we would race and crash into each other. It was a precursor to BMX. We would go around the neighborhood to collect bikes that people had thrown away to salvage them, so it’s cool to see Subrosa building a line of Slayer bikes.”
The thrash icons have been hitting the road hard in support of 2015’s Repentless. They’ll be back in North American again in September, bringing Anthrax and Death Angel out in support. For a full list of dates, head to our 2016 Guide to Rock + Metal Tours.

Read More: Slayer to Take Over 2016 San Diego Comic-Con | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 02:22:53 PM »

* Dethklok in 2012 played as part of a free [adult swim] even at the Midway (with free booze no less).  That was pretty amazing, and that night is in my Top 3 of favorite Comic-Con memories/events in the 16+ years of attending Comic-Con
* Tenacious D played a full 60+ minute set in Hall H in 2005 to close out Saturday.  Jack Black was in town/Hall H promoting the upcoming KING KONG (which was the panel before The D), and Tenacious D had THE PICK OF DESTINY.  The set was great, the band was entertaining, and they played several songs off their upcoming album (lip-syncing "Mast Exploder" in such a way that my stomach actually hurt from laughing so hard)
* Barenaked Ladies did a very short one-song performance at the Big Bang Theory panel one year when they were in town (coincidentally) the same day as the panel.  They just played the theme song to kick things off, but they were a HUGE hit.
* GWAR has played sets nearby, and have had members of the band at booths (in costume) doing various things
* Metallica a few years back, as already mentioned
* Metric played post-SCOTT PILGRIM vs THE WORLD premier screening in 2010 (Metric played "Black Sheep," song played by the fictional band Clash at Demonhead), with a pre-show set by DJ Kid Koala and Dan the Automator.  All musical sets were awesome (as is the movie, which I saw twice at Comic-Con that week!); Metric didn't play the other nights of screenings, that I know of, but I think Kid Koala opened all three screenings with a pre-show set.
* Slayer this year on Thursday night at House of Blues (my excitement for this is well documented in the Slayer thread)
* I think Aquabats played in 2014; I remember seeing their tour bus in the parking lot behind the Convention Center that Friday (when I was in line for Hall H Saturday)

Those are just ones I can remember/attended.  I'm sure there are a plethora more I can't remember.  I agree that these types of events seem to be both wildly popular & fund, special-felling events for the fans.  I wonder if this type of thing will become more popular; it kinda seems like it's already more popular now than just a few years ago

Offline freeagent

• Exhibit Hall
    • tumblrrrr
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 10:57:52 PM »
There will be a Comedy Bang Bang live show on Wednesday if you're into watching a live version of the funniest podcast ever.
Last year there was also a live standup show for Meltdown that was free. Don't know if that's happening again.

2 years ago Grimes and MGMT performed but it was super hard to get in. There are a few things like that that if you are lucky enough to weasel your way into,you'll see someone perform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk