Author Topic: Hoping Nerd HQ will be back in 2016!  (Read 64596 times)

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
Re: Hoping Nerd HQ will be back in 2016!
« Reply #720 on: July 28, 2016, 11:14:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah I didn't mind the NerdHQ security so much. If anything, it's probably a good thing that they have a metal wand to check for weapons of sorts. I was more frustrated when I tried to enter Conival at Petco on Thursday and they had their strict rules of no open water bottles and no water bottles over 20oz and no foldable chairs (typically used for lines).

As for NerdHQ gathering our demographics info, I would say that's not any different from any marketing company or any online services (like email, etc.) we use nowadays. Again with NerdHQ and the quality of panels they provide, I don't mind if that's how they earn extra money to help run NerdHQ yearly during SDCC.

That's Petco Park stadium policy. I don't think Conival had control over that. The stadiums are usually pretty strict.

Offline escape

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #721 on: July 28, 2016, 11:25:47 AM »
That's Petco Park stadium policy. I don't think Conival had control over that. The stadiums are usually pretty strict.

There wasn't any problem with it 2 years ago when NerdHQ was in Petco, is it a recent policy?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #722 on: Today at 06:46:01 PM »

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #722 on: July 28, 2016, 11:29:49 AM »
There wasn't any problem with it 2 years ago when NerdHQ was in Petco, is it a recent policy?

I guess it wasn't enforced I don't think they even checked bags before.  Every stadium/ballpark I've been to hasn't allowed outside drinks. The big money maker for stadiums is drinks.

Offline pieistasty

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #723 on: July 28, 2016, 11:39:20 AM »

Exactly. The security people even said it was the stadium enforcing the security. It was purely stadium rules.

Offline pieistasty

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #724 on: July 28, 2016, 11:41:06 AM »

Even last year at Conival at Petco they didn't have that security. You just walked right in. But if you watch the news, there's been some world events between then and now. Security is up everywhere. Including at Petco park.

Offline pieistasty

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #725 on: July 28, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »
Speaking of demographics and marketing. I just got an email from Slideshow Collectibles thanking me for making Comic-Con amazing. I have no idea who these people are. I don't even know if they had a booth at Comic-Con. I definitely didn't stop by there and give them my email. But I did use that email at other events. I've been "shared".

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #726 on: July 28, 2016, 11:58:36 AM »
Speaking of demographics and marketing. I just got an email from Slideshow Collectibles thanking me for making Comic-Con amazing. I have no idea who these people are. I don't even know if they had a booth at Comic-Con. I definitely didn't stop by there and give them my email. But I did use that email at other events. I've been "shared".

They're the booth with all the statues. If you had your badge scanned by them this year or in previous years for a contest you're on they're email list. I didn't even got scanned this year by them and got the email because I've been scanned in the past.

Online dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #727 on: July 28, 2016, 01:13:10 PM »
Since we were discussing the "scanning in/scanning out" process, I went to re-read the registration process.

They only asked you for your birthdate, name, email, and zipcode.  Providing them with your Facebook and twitter info was optional.

The Terms and Conditions stated:

Terms and Conditions
By registering with your social media accounts, you are herby granting The Nerd Machine permission to upload a post on your behalf.

On-site interactions will be clearly labeled so each guest knows which of the following actions will be performed on their behalf.

Check in on Facebook (ability to tag friends and upload photos)
Email or text important details and information about Nerd HQ and it’s partners
Post to twitter
Post a message to Facebook
Like a webpage on Facebook
Receive a photo from the photo booth
The Nerd HQ app will also be able to send important details and information regarding Nerd HQ and it’s partners via alerts and push notifications. This can be controlled inside the phone settings.

The App will provide the latest information about upcoming programs at Nerd HQ including “Conversation Panels,” “Smiles for Smiles” photo opportunities, and many other important events.

By scanning your bracelet on-site at a partner’s activation, you are granting The Nerd Machine permission to share your basic information with partners for future correspondence. These exclusive messages will include special offers intended for the users of this app. See each partner’s privacy policy for more information.

The Nerd Machine will not sell your information to 3rd parties.

It doesn't really say anything about the general scanning in at the door.  I suppose they could be using that on their own to determine how many different people entered, how many times, and duration of stay.  I don't know if they have a deal with Facebook to get further information about you, but even giving them your Facebook info is optional.  Given the small size of Nerdmachine as a company, I am skeptical that their analyses go very deep.

I certainly haven't gotten any email from any of their sponsors, but I didn't do any of the activations.

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #728 on: July 28, 2016, 01:55:16 PM »

They have a huge booth. They ask to scan people's badges for a chance to win a collectible.

I always assumed that registering for Nerd HQ gave them permission to share our info with their sponsors. :)

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #729 on: July 28, 2016, 05:30:55 PM »
They have a huge booth. They ask to scan people's badges for a chance to win a collectible.

I always assumed that registering for Nerd HQ gave them permission to share our info with their sponsors. :)

There's probably a way to opt out? Isn't it illegal if they don't offer that? You could give them fake info like some did last year.

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #730 on: July 28, 2016, 07:50:36 PM »
There's probably a way to opt out? Isn't it illegal if they don't offer that? You could give them fake info like some did last year.

You opt out by not attending. Or just put fake info.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #731 on: July 31, 2016, 12:09:30 PM »
We had our NerdHQ wristbands scanned several times: for demos, the photo booth thing and for some free sticky thing that is supposed to go on your phone. So far I haven't noticed any resulting spam. I'm a fan of having a separate set of email and social media accounts solely for convention registration and promotions.

We only managed to get tickets for 2 conversations this year. We missed Felicia Day's completely due to shuttle delays and changes. We did get to the Mystery Panel, which ended up being the "Badass Women" panel. This was a great panel and I am glad my son got to see it, 6 awesome women from different backgrounds all getting a chance to discuss things like discrimination and online harassment. Followed by a nice little soliloquy from a slightly inebriated Zachary Levi. I really recommend watching the video from the panel if you have the chance.

Really appreciated the additional AC units they brought in, was an overall improvement but some spots were still really warm. One side of the conversations room seemed cooler than the other, and you can't have 50 some PCs running Battlefield 1 without making that area a sauna. My son is all about the video games and he really enjoyed NerdHQ this year.

Still pretty much impossible to find a place to sit. Also seemed more commercial this year, this isn't a criticism, it just seemed a bit odd. For example having the nice little cafe essentially turned into a advertisement for Krave cereal.

Offline pieistasty

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #732 on: July 31, 2016, 12:45:59 PM »

In the United States no, it's not illegal. If there was an option I would have hit it. I always do given the chance. In the US, there are actually very few laws to protect privacy. In Europe, you would have to explicitly opt in to have your information shared. So in the US the way you opt out is to provide fake info, which is once what an FBI agent said he does himself. The one I fake most is my birthdate. Like for many of the Star Trek premiere contests they wanted your birthdate. There's no reason they need that and it's a key piece of info to for identity theft. My fake birthdate has been shared so much that on my credit report now, it's lists both my real and fake birthdates.

Offline pieistasty

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #733 on: July 31, 2016, 12:47:35 PM »

These sideshow people are big into the spam, I've been getting at least one email a day from them all week. I think I'll have to make them as junk.

Same, that's the whole point of registering for NerdHQ, it's too feed their sponsors.