Author Topic: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 83992 times)

Offline Johnc86

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 43
Re: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2018, 09:40:15 PM »
HOTEL REVIEW AND FEEDBACK LAYOUT

Name of Hotel:
The Bristol

Type of Room: (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?)
1 King-sized bed

Number of Nights You Stayed:
7-nights, Monday, July 16 to Monday, July 23

Year(s) You Stayed There: (Type in the actual year: 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.)

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
   If "Yes," tell us about the restaurants and type of food they had (if you remember).
There are quite a few restaurants located right around the hotel (e.g. Chipotle, Lucys Taco Shop, Corner Bakery, BBQ Boss, a sushi restaurant). If you walk a few more blocks going toward the convention there's an even greater selection. If you arrive before the convention starts, I recommend going to Werewolf for happy hour. It was half off appetizers and they gave generous portions... at least we thought so. However, when we tried going again for happy hour after the con started they said they weren't doing happy hour.

It's not a restaurant but we bought a family dinner at Ralph's one-night which I thought was a pretty good deal. I think it was a whole chicken and two/three large sides for ~$10... we didn't finish all the food (sorry if this is too much info just hoping to help someone with a cheaper dinner option)

There was a restaurant inside the hotel but we did not eat there.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
Yes, all hotel staff was polite and professional. We got to the hotel after midnight and the staff at the front desk checked us in very quickly and gave us a quick breakdown of what was available

* Did you order room service?
   If yes, tell us about if you had a good experience with room service.
No, we did not order room service

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
There is a gym with machines and free-weights, no pool. We walked through the gym but did not work-out. The equipment seemed new.

There is a water machine in the lobby to refill your water bottle and coffee machine that's available until 11 am.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
It was just me and one other person in the room. We thought the room had a lot of space and we were able to move around comfortably. There was a table and two sofa chairs for sitting and plenty of floor space for our luggage and stuff we got from the convention.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
We did not have a car. There is valet parking at the hotel and the parking lot is right next door. I don't remember the rates.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
We either walked or took the shuttle. On foot, it was roughly 15 minutes. I can't remember how long the shuttle ride was but the ride from the convention to the hotel was pretty fast when we didn't get stuck waiting for the crowds. It was only two stops away and the shuttle stopped right in front of The Bristol. The ride from the hotel to convention center took a lot longer, maybe 15-20 minutes because of all the stops.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
I don't know if the walls are thin but we didn't hear anything in the hallway. Our room was facing the front of the hotel on the main road and next to the trolley tracks. We were on a higher floor so we didn't really notice the noise but the hotel does provide ear plugs which were available in the room.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
Yes but it was really spotty

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
Not member of rewards program

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
The room has a digital safe and a small refrigerator which was great for drinks and sandwiches. There's a tablet (Google Nexus) that replaces the clock. The tablet is pre-loaded with the hotel's software of things-to-do around the city, shows, etc. and you can use it to contact the front-desk or maintenance.

Spreckles is located a block away which is great for anyone that wants to wait in line for Conan.

What did you like about staying at this hotel?
- Large modern rooms with plenty of space
- Shuttle stop right at the front of the hotel
- Plenty of food options around
- Close enough to the convention to walk but far enough from the hustle and bustle (if that's what you like). Ralph's is on the route so it was convenient to pick stuff up.

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?
A microwave would have been nice. Besides that I can't really think of anything negative which is why The Bristol will be our first choice during Hotelpocalypse.

Offline clarrkkent

• Gaming Lounge
  • @Wa_Fly_Guy on IG
  • Liked: 177
« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2018, 06:19:01 PM »
Name of Hotel: The Sofia

Type of Room: Single Queen Bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2018

Hotel Review:

Yes, there was a restaurant and bar inside the hotel. There was also some kind of salad/green place next door. We didn't eat at either, so can't comment on them. Gaslamp Plaza was just a block or two away with lots of eating options.

Staff were pleasant and in a Comic Con type mood. The lobby was decorated with action figures, etc.

No.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
  The hotel had a fitness center which had dumbbells up to 50 or 55lbs. A multi station. Some benches, medicine balls, weighted bars (like used with yoga, not barbells), a few treadmills and a few ellipticals. Towels and water were available.  The fitness center was NOT air conditioned, so it was rather hot.  No pool, sauna, hot tub, etc.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?

The room was adequate for my wife and I. On the smaller side. The bed was not comfortable. The AC didn't cool the room as much as I would have liked. The bathroom, with shower and toilet, was really tiny. There was no door on the shower by design and it was oriented in a way that the water easily got out and everywhere if you weren't careful the entire time.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?

We didn't drive.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?

We walked to the convention each day. It was about a mile and took roughly 15-18 minutes. The nice thing was that we passed through all the restaurants to/from the con, so could stop and eat.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?

Didn't hear any neighboring rooms at all.

Sadly, I can't remember.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?

Not a member.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?

I think the above covers it all.

Walkable distance, somewhat budget friendly compared to other downtown options, fitness center was adequate, staff were friendly.

Uncomfortable bed and inadequate cooling (in room and fitness center).
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #167 on: Today at 04:35:16 AM »

Offline karli2067

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2019, 10:23:57 AM »

Name of Hotel:  Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Type of Room:
we had two rooms both with two double beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5 Wednesday through Monday

Year(s) You Stayed There: (Type in the actual year: 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.) 2018

Hotel Review:

yes there is a restaurant in the hotel with what I believe was a comic con menu, it was good but I'm a big fan of simple food like chicken tenders so I'm easy to please

* How was the hotel staff?
 everyone we came across was very nice and helpful, we really didn't need anything though.  we are low maintenance

no

there is a pool but we never got a chance to use it.  we did watch someone having a photo shoot at the pool dressed as spiderman from our window though so that was entertaining

there was two of us in one room and three in the other and we had so much room.  our flight ended up getting cancelled Monday so we stayed the night at the Hilton bayfront and the room we got there was half the size with no exaggeration

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? we did not drive

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? five minutes walking

not that I noticed, seemed pretty quiet

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) yes I had free wifi with my Hilton honors account

yes I am a Hilton honors member, got free wifi.  other than that the only reward I get is the points on my account for our stay that helped add up to get me a free room to the next convention I went to

the DC universe offsite was at our hotel in the courtyard.  Never got to go through it but one of our windows overlooked the courtyard so times we were in the room we did some people watching.

I love this hotel.  I would do horrible things to get a chance to stay in this hotel again.  It was our first time being downtown and it was amazing.  It did get pretty crowded trying to get in and out due to the line for the offsite but that was hardly anything to complain about since we were in the middle of things--which was exactly where we wanted to be.  The rooms were huge and clean and the people friendly.  This hotel is now the top of our list for next time!

there is not a single thing I did not like!

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2019, 06:44:21 PM »
Name of Hotel: Omni

Type of Room: 2 full-sized beds, plus a rollaway

Number of Nights You Stayed: 3

Hotel Review:

Yes, there is a small counter-service in the hotel lobby that we ate breakfast at almost every day; they have ready-made grab-and-go hot sandwiches and coffee. Unfortunately they closed a little early (10pm I think), leaving me hungry before bed one night! There is also a pricey restaurant in the lobby.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? No issues with the staff!

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  We used the pool to relax before the Con began, and again at days-end to soak our tired feet! The Omni pool is on a high floor and offers a great view of the convention center. The drinks available at the pool "bar" are delicious but expensive.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  While the rollaway is a little awkward to walk around, it suited our party very well so everyone had a bed.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? I believe parking was $40 or $50 PER NIGHT.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? Very quick by foot.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? While at the Omni, we saw several cast members from Netflix's Stranger Things!
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Offline ombregrey

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2019, 09:22:48 PM »
Name of Hotel: Bristol

Type of Room: 2 full-sized beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 1

Hotel Review:

Offered free breakfast buffet (didn't see that on their website though)

Very polite.

No room service available iirc. They had tablets in the rooms with ubereats app.

Didn't use any.

Room is a little tight but has tons of storage space.

15 minute on foot

Yes

Was newly renovated and beds were comfy. There is also a water refill station on the main floor. The airport bus stop is about 2 blocks away.

Offline chachime45

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
Name of Hotel: Marriott Marquis Marina

Type of Room: 2 full-size beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5

Hotel Review:

Seemed like the restaurants were always packed but there was a grab-and-go counter to pick up some easy calories fast

Wonderfully polite across the board

No, but I never do

I used the gym and the pool. The gym is well-equipped for a hotel with a couple of racks of free weights and a couple of dozen machines. It was never crowded when I was there. The pool was GREAT! So nice to chill out with a dip after hustling through the con all day.

Average for a hotel, nothing special.

You could make it from the hotel lobby to the convention entrance in about a minute

Typical hotel noise, not too bad.

Free in some areas

I joined just to get wifi in the room.

I actually saw no celebrities (that I know of).

Location is everything. Staying here feels like you are at the con 24-7. And if I am ever in San Diego for something other than Comic Con, then this is probably the hotel I would pick.

Can get awfully crowded. Getting an Uber can be tough at some times (took me almost an hour to get picked up once as two drivers cancelled because they were having trouble getting there ... I had to walk a few blocks away to finally get a ride). Pricey, too. Five days with my family last year cost about $1900; the year before I spent about $1200 for a Doubletree in Mission Valley.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #171 on: April 18, 2019, 06:33:58 AM »
Name of Hotel: Coronado Island Marriott Resort

Type of Room: 2 beds

Depends on the time and day.  Took the ferry most times.  The good thing is on weekdays, the ferry is free way early in the morning (before listed departure times), but it dumps us off a 20 minute walk away from the convention center.  They give you a free return ticket that you can use to return any time from any location, so we used that at the landing in the back of the con for the return home.  On weekends, the ferry doesn't work early in the morning, so we had to Uber or wait for it to start up at the published times.

If you take the ferry at the published times during the day, you can get dropped off right in the back of the con but you have to pay.  In the evening, there is a line going back, but those ferries hold a lot more people than it looks, so I got on even when I didn't expect that I would.

The walk to the ferry landing from the hotel is about 10 minutes.  There's a supermarket along the way if you don't walk next to the water.

It's peaceful.

The only issue is no shuttle and the lack of ferry service early on Saturday morning.

Offline cbaggs

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 92
« Reply #172 on: April 18, 2019, 12:29:14 PM »
Name of Hotel: The Westgate Hotel

Type of Room: Two double beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4 nights

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes there were tons within a few blocks of the hotel.  I can't remember the names of the places we popped into but there were a few nights where we just walked right into a restaurant on the walk back to the hotel from the con, and the restaurants were only a block or two away from the hotel.  Also, I know there's a Corner Bakery just across the street next door to the Spreckels theater, a Tender Greens, a Starbucks, a Chipotle.  Lots of food (and bar) options nearby.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Very polite and courteous.

* Did you order room service? Yes we ordered breakfast one morning and it was good.  We kept it pretty basic with bagels, cereal, juice, coffee....and champagne.  So the usuals.  :)

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? I know the hotel has both, as well as sauna/jacuzzi/steam room type services, but we did not use them.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? We were blown away by how spacious the room was.  We were a bit worried since we knew it was farther from the convention center than we'd like to be, but as soon as we walked into our room we decided the walk was 1000000% worth it.  There was SO much space!  Such a great room if you're sharing with multiple people.  We never felt cramped - there were two beds, a large arm chair, a large desk with a desk chair, a cabinet with the tv on top, a step out balcony and a nook with a full length mirror.  Even with all that stuff in there there was still a massive amount of open space in the middle of the room.  And then the bathroom - or should I say the completely separate massive room attached to our room.  Because there is a separate door between the room and the bathroom area to completely close it off, and within the bathroom area is a large walk in closet (seriously someone could have slept in there comfortably), a massive vanity area with sink and TONS of counter space, an ottoman thing to sit on, and then a completely separate door leading to the shower and toilet that can be further closed off.  There were four of us staying in the room, and everyone had plenty of counter space to be in there at once doing makeup, etc.  Unbelievable.   

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? Valet was $40/night (and I think valet was the only option).

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? We did not use the shuttle although I believe there's a stop pretty much right at the hotel.  Walking only took about 15 minutes and it was actually a very nice walk.  We learned which routes were our favorites pretty quickly based on how much shade there was.  :)

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? Did not even remotely hear anyone else.  One cool thing about this hotel is that the direct doors to the rooms are not accessible from the hallways.  It's essentially like you go through one door from the hallway that leads into a little suite type area where there are then two doors, each leading to a different guest room.  This very much minimizes noise from elevators or people in hallways because you're totally secluded from all of that.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  Yes I believe they did.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? I'm not, and I don't know if they have a rewards program.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? It's just an incredible hotel, and very classically beautiful.  The decor and design is elegant, European and luxe.  The lobby is large with various seating areas, and it just felt like a sanctuary from all the hustle and bustle of the Gaslamp.  Our friend's company also throws a party every year at the Westgate on the deck with the pool, so it was VERY nice being able to run up to our room and freshen up before or during the party without ever having to leave the hotel. 

-Spacious
-Comfortable
-Close to food/bar options
-Not too far but also removed a bit so it's quiet and we could really relax there
-Ultra privacy of the bathroom/vanity area

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel? Honestly nothing.  We were beyond pleasantly surprised and have decided to add it to our top 6 going forward.  It may be a bit of a walk, but it's beyond worth it.  We'd be ecstatic to stay there again.

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2019, 04:18:42 PM »
We stayed at the Westgate our first year (2012) and I agree with everything this review said.  But they forgot to mention the warm cookies at the check-in desk. Yummm. 

Offline handelacruz

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 55
« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2019, 04:21:45 PM »
Name of Hotel: Residence Inn Gaslamp Quarter

Type of Room: 1 Queen Bed, No Sofa Sleeper

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5 nights

Hotel Review:

Yes, there was a free breakfast each morning inside the hotel so that was really convenient before starting our day. There is also a small bar/restaurant inside the hotel next to the check-in desk. We ate there for dinner some nights or grabbed a quick snack/drink if we did not know what to eat. The restaurant had outside seating so we could see cosplayers, con-goers, party busses, etc pass by while we ate.

They were nice, polite, and courteous. I didn't have any problems with the staff. However, we did ask for early check-in. I believe we got there around Wednesday afternoon and we weren't able to get our room until around 3 or 4pm maybe. We had to wait a couple hours because apparently a lot of other people asked for early check-in as well, and they were backed up. We were able to leave our luggage there while we walked around the Gaslamp. It sucks that we had to wait that long to unwind and unpack, but the staff was very nice about it.

No.

The hotel had a pool and I think a gym, I'm not 100% sure. I did not use either of them.

The bed was really comfortable, and we were able to move around the room easily. The room came with a kitchen with a sink and mini fridge. I think the room was larger than the same type of room because it also had a table and chairs where we could eat or place our stuff. The downside was that the bathroom sink was placed outside the bathroom, so that was a little weird. The bathroom door was a sliding door so we also didn't like that too much for privacy.

We did not drive or have a car.

The hotel is maybe a street down from the Gaslamp. So it took maybe 5-10 minutes to get to the Gaslamp or convention center. It was very close to everything, including some offsites.

I don't think the walls of the room are thin. Did not really hear our neighbors.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?
Yes, it did have free WiFi for guests.

No, I am not a member of the hotel's rewards program.

We did not see any celebrity sightings inside or near our hotel. I really really enjoyed this hotel. There were some very small downsides such as the long wait for our room, weird bathroom sink, and bathroom sliding door. The hotel was close enough to the action and a very short walk so we felt relieved we didn't have to use Uber like previous years. The hotel was also far enough from the action that we didn't have trouble getting there or getting to our room/elevator.

-Walking distance to the Gaslamp, convention center, a few offsites, and restaurants
-Free Breakfast in the morning for guests
-Restaurant/bar downstairs for quick snacks or dinner
-Spacious and comfortable room
-Came with a kitchen sink and fridge to store left-overs, drinks, etc

As mentioned above, the wait time for our room, weird placement of bathroom sink, and sliding bathroom door. However, the pros outweighed the cons and we enjoyed this hotel greatly!

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2019, 04:33:44 AM »
Name of Hotel:  Hotel Republic San Diego

Type of Room: 1 King

Number of Nights You Stayed: 6 nights

Year(s) You Stayed There: (Type in the actual year: 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.) 2018

Hotel Review:

Yes, I believe that there was a rooftop restaurant and bar in the hotel but I didn't visit it.  There was an attached coffee shop that I did visit and am happy to report that the espresso drinks were quite good.  They also served sandwiches and the like.   

Hotel staff was nice, polite and courteous. 

No.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?  I did not. 

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?  The room was very clean, large and spacious, and had a window seat, large enough for someone to sleep there.  I enjoyed sitting there, despite the view of nearby pawn shop.  The bed was very comfortable. 

I did not drive.

I took the bus from the airport, got off on Broadway, which was two blocks away.  I either walked to the Con or relied on the shuttle from another hotel to get to the Con.  Even though it is only two blocks away from Broadway, I didn't like walking by myself on that last block to the hotel, which had no streetlamp.  It was deserted for the most part, but I did see a homeless person there, one night. 

I don't recall hearing any noise from other guests. 

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) Not certain.  There was a computer and printer available on the second floor but I think that it had limited internet access. 

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?  Yes, it is a Marriott property.  Don't recall any perks, per se.  They did have lemon water in the lobby, which was very refreshing. 

Celebrity sightings:  I rode the elevator up with the cast of Vikings. 

- relatively close to conveniences, like coffee shops, Horton plaza, the shuttle
- had great customer service
- Very comfortable and well-appointed room and bathroom
- spacious room
- very large, comfortable bed
- bonus window seat that can be used as a bed
- celebrity sightings
- lemon/orange water in lobby

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 

Example list:
- a little pricier than some of the other OnPeak hotels
- the area/sketchy neighborhood will prevent me from staying here again as a single traveler
- dark, deserted streets at night
- limited internet availability

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #176 on: July 23, 2019, 11:32:32 PM »
Name of Hotel: MGH

Type of Room: 2 double beds

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2019

What did you like about staying at this hotel?  It was close to the convention center and I like the little village next to it.  Lots of food there and it was relaxing.  I liked being able to pick up stuff from the redemption room there and being able to donate blood there.  The room was large and we had a good view of the convention center.  They do not charge a resort fee for those who reserved through OnPeak, and they also give a $10 discount per day for OnPeak reservations.  The hotel fridge was empty, which was good because we want room for our drinks.  Lastly, we could walk to the convention from the back to avoid crowded sidewalks and stoplights. 

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?  Not a problem for us, but there's no microwave.

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2019, 10:42:36 AM »
Name of Hotel: Westin San Diego (not to be confused with westin gaslamp)
Type of Room: 2 full-sized beds (Deluxe harbor view, floor 14)

Hotel Review:
Completely a business hotel.  If it weren't for the con goers going to an fro from the hotel you wouldn't even know comic con was going on. No decorations or signs.  It wasn't really crowded at all.  The bar area was empty pretty much the whole weekend.  At night there would be a group or 2 of people down at the bar, some playing games.  The hotel itself was what you'd expect from a 4 star business hotel.  It was clean, efficient, no thrills, kinda deal.  Hotel staff was very nice.  Room was clean.  Rooms are on the smaller side as it's an older hotel.  Our room had a mini fridge.  We did not request one so we either got lucky or they just have them std in every room.  The pool was... old, dingy, and again very ... non resort like.  The gym was smallish but had good equipment.  There was a quick bites, coffee counter that sells starbucks coffee in the lobby and a full service restaurant that looks very nice and food looked good as i walked by but was basically empty the whole time we were there.  Maybe 2 or 3 tables with customers during meal times.  The hotel had a "taco hour" where they were selling street talks on the sidewalk outside the lobby for a couple hours on Thursday for comic con.  2$ a taco.  Tacos were very small.  There was a line about 10 people deep when we walked by so we passed on that. The tram to the convention center was conveniently located right out the front door. The Westin was the last stop on the Blue line this year so getting to con took about 15 to 20 depending on harbor blvd traffic.  Going back it took closer to 30 to 40 minutes as it stops 4 times on Broadway.

Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? 
The Hotel rents out space on the first floor to a 3rd party, independent coffee shop/coffee roasters shop called You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Coava Coffee.  This was BY FAR THE BEST PART of staying at the Westin.  The coffee was absolutely amazing.  They didnt open til 7am on sat and sun which absolutely sucked, but this place ... wow.  Wish I had a coffee shop like this by me year round.  I ended up going there 2 to 3 times a day for coffee.  I drink coffee every day, 1 cup in the morning, but i couldn't get enough of this stuff. Try it!! I might even make a walk up to Westin next year and get a cup if i get put at a different hotel.

How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
Exactly what you'd expect from a 4 star business hotel.

Did you order room service?
no

Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
Stated above in the review

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
hotel rooms are on the smaller side.  We had 2 queens, and a twin air mattress for 3 people staying.  We needed to move furniture around a little to fit the twin air mattress. 

If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
They wanted 50$/ni for parking according to their website so we parked at airport for 15$/ni and took a lyft to the hotel

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
Trolly times listed above.  Walking was doable obviously. But it was long enough of a walk you'd rather not.  We walked it many times obviously.  Especially if we were in the gaslamp area as the walk back to convention center to the trolly stop wasn't much shorter than the walk from mid gaslamp to the hotel.  It's further away than i wanted to be obviously, but not Mission valley, Coronado/Shelter island kinda far.  It's far enough that you feel like your NOT at comic con when your at your hotel though. 

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
Roomates didn't complain and I'm hearing impaired so I wouldn't hear anything anyways.

Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
Yes, roomate said it was pretty fast too.  No problem streaming Netflix

Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?

I signed up for bonvoy after i made reservation.  No perks that i know of yet as i just signed up.

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?What did you like about staying at this hotel?
*clean
*the coffee roaster place You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
*comic con tram right outside

*to far from con
*didn't feel like comic con there
*pool was pretty bad
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 10:51:07 AM by SynXack »
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline Berts

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 144
« Reply #178 on: July 24, 2019, 12:05:46 PM »
Name of Hotel: Solamar (Kimpton Solamar)

Type of Room: 1 king-sized bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2019 (First time)

Hotel Review: This place was so fantastic! Free coffee in the mornings, free drinks during thier happy hour (5-6) and so many cool people. Molly the lobby dog was roaming around (didn't see Rio their other lobby dog) and the actual hotel was incredible.

Plenty. There's JSix in the lobby and Water Grille across the street. Both are on the more expensive side but there's a ton more stuff around. It's right in Gaslamp and walkable to anything within Gaslamp.

* How was the hotel staff?
   Hotel Staff were amazing. Asked for a late checkout on Sunday morning (which is an absurd request that late and they were more than accommodating)

No.

Didn't use any of them. Pool seemed cool though. Our window overlooked the pool and there was never that many people down there except for Nerd Nite (which we attended. It was packed.)

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?
   It was just my wife and I so were were fine with the room which was spacious.

This was the only negative of the hotel. Parking is $50/night which is outrageous. We parked at the airport for $15/night and took a lyft to the hotel.

Minimal time for everything. The hotel is incredibly close to everything but just far enough away to feel close enough to the outskirts. Last year, we stayed at the Marriott Marquis and getting to the convention center was great but getting anywhere else was horrible. The Solamar is almost like a halfway point so getting to the convention center was an 8ish minute walk abut getting to restaurants or Super7 didn't feel like an epic journey. We walked everywhere.

The walls were a little thin and we could hear people in the hallway but it was so minimal, we barely noticed.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?
   Yes if you're a rewards member (which is free to join)

I am now and we got free WiFi. The front desk also accommodated my late checkout request which I'm not sure they would have done if I wasn't a rewards member.

This hotel was great. Really enjoyed our stay. We saw a bunch of behind-the-scenes industry folks (you can just tell) but no big celebrity. A guy who worked for Conan O'Brien surprised me with a box of all four Conan POPS! as a gift.

What did you like about staying at this hotel:
-Close enough to feel "in the action" but far enough to escape the mania of the Marriott Marquis.
-Free coffee and alcohol at certain times.
-Amazing location
-Got into Nerd Nite with no line because we were staying here.

The only thing I can think of is the parking rate.

Offline a_peachtree

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #179 on: July 24, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »
Name of Hotel: Wyndham Bayside

Type of Room: 1 King Sized Bed, Bayfront View

Number of Nights You Stayed:  3

Hotel Review:

Yes, there was a Claim Jumper technically inside the hotel and also a Ruth Chris in front of the hotel. There was a deli in front of one of the hotel towers that, while expensive, was pretty good for breakfast.

There was both a gym and a pool, though I didn't use them. While the room did have a mini-fridge, there was no microwave. But maybe that isn't common in hotel rooms anymore?

So, straight walking to the Con would probably be about 20 - 30 minutes. One of the days we tried to take a Bird scooter. However, a lot of the routes (especially along the water) were in "red zones", so you technically weren't allowed to ride the scooter there. Or, they were the red zones were the scooter would decrease in speed to 3 MPH. I don't know if the other scooter brands have this problem?

A Lyft was $6 - $8, so if we had to get somewhere in a pinch, we would do that.

We took the train into San Diego, so it was nice that this hotel was really close to the Sante Fe Depot.

Our Bayfront view was spectacular, as we were on the 9th floor and for two people, the room was a good size (better than the Sophia). The only real issue I had was the distance - while a mile (or so) doesn't seem like a lot, after the first day, it definitely is. The hotel is on the Pink Line, but I think it's one of the first stops, so it takes about 15 - 20 minutes to get to the Con after you board the bus.

The deli nearby was great for picking up breakfast sandwiches before heading to the Con, but it was a bit pricey. I think I spent $22 for two breakfast croissants and two coffees? But it seemed better than Starbucks at least.

While we were sitting outside of the deli, we did get approached by a Wyndham (?) employee who wanted us to go to this off-site (at another one of their locations) brunches...and if we did, they would give us a free holiday voucher. I think it was for like either a 2 or 4 night stay to places like Hawaii and whatnot. She said they would both take us to the brunch and bring us back, that it was a free brunch and that all we had to do was watch a video...We declined because it seemed like one of those "to good to not have a catch" situations, and after a quick Google search, I'm pretty certain it was one of those time share presentations where they subtly (or not so subtly) try to get you to purchase one of their time shared hotel rooms? Or something. Either way, I didn't go to the brunch.