Author Topic: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 84371 times)

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
Re: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2022, 03:20:22 PM »
Name of Hotel: Springhill Suites by Marriott San Diego Downtown/Bayfront

Type of Room: Two Queen Beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 6

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2022

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes, the hotel had an outdoor/rooftop restaurant, but I never went there. The hotel did have a free breakfast buffet which was pretty extensive, although way too much white flour-based starch with not enough other stuff. For instance, they had bread/muffins/bagels and make your own waffles everyday. Then, in the hot section, there was one rotating starch but 5 of the 6 days I was there it was also a white flour starch (including waffles TWICE, in addition to the daily waffles they already have.) The other day, it was potatoes...it would have been nice to see potatoes more often. Then they had one meat item (rotating between bacon/ham and chicken/turkey/pork sausages), scrambled eggs and scrambled egg whites both made from pre-mix. One nice thing is that they actually had cold-brew coffee on the breakfast buffet (in addition to regular coffee and tea). I haven't seen that at any other free hotel breakfast.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Yes, the staff was excellent.

* Did you order room service? No

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? They had a gym and an outdoor pool, but I didn't use them.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? The room was very nice and up to date, although not technically a suite since there was not a separate room (it just had a floor-to-ceiling desk between the beds and the living room). I wouldn't say the room was huge, but it was definitely bigger and airier than the MGH. The queen beds are actually queen beds too, unlike MGH where they were more like twin beds.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? I didn't, but I saw they had both self-park and valet options and I want to say they were around $35-50-ish

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? By trolley, a ~7 minute walk to the Santa Fe Station trolley + 5 minute ride. It would be shorter if there weren't barriers. By foot, just under 30 minutes.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? No issues with noise.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? Yes

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? I am a silver member and to my knowledge there were no extra perks. Although, we did ask for a late checkout (normally at 11) and they extended it 1 hour, until Noon although I am not sure if they would have turned down my request if I were not a rewards member.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? They put up Star Wars decorations in the lobby. It shares a building with the Residence Inn. The bathroom is the sliding door type which doesn't really close, which is a little awkward if you're sharing a room.

What did you like about staying at this hotel? Pretty much everything. I thought it was much nicer than the MGH and the Hampton, which are the two we've stayed in before. The rooms were comfortable, the view was great (we had a view of the harbor, based on the layout most rooms probably did as well) and the cold-brew coffee for breakfast was a nice touch.

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel? No real complaints. I would have said that I want it to be closer, but it really was a nice walk along the waterfront to the convention (and on preview night, it was fun to stop by Hess Brewing and have a beer overlooking the harbor), and it was also nice to be a block away from Stone w00t X.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #211 on: August 03, 2022, 01:49:40 PM »
Name of Hotel:

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Type of Room: (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?)

1 King-sized bed

Number of Nights You Stayed:

Year(s) You Stayed There: (Type in the actual year: 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.)

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?

Yes

If "Yes," tell us about the restaurants and type of food they had (if you remember).

Marina Kitchen - Full Service restaurant.  Good Food
Tequila Bar and Grill - Bar with food service.  I love eating outdoors when I can.
Exchange - Sandwiches, snacks, bottled beverages, coffee
Starbucks - Coffee and breakfast sandwiches.  I got breakfast from them if I had an early panel.  I also liked to have coffee and my breakfast sandwich on my balcony

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?

Staff was great!!!

* Did you order room service?

No

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?

I didn't use the gym or the pool.  I did sit outside near the pool on one of the chaise lounges.  It was relaxing.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?

No roommate.  The room is large.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
No Car

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
The hotel is right next to the convention center. Five (5) minutes.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
Noise levels are fine.  I had no trouble sleeping.  I was 6 floors up facing the bay, so there wasn't much in the way of outside noise.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
Yes, for members of its rewards program.  I had my own portable hot spot, so I didn't use their wifi.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
Yes, but my visit isn't on the rewards site (yet). 

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
My original reservation was for a double, that I got thru the exchange.  I was able to change it to a single.  I also got moved to the North Tower, which I wanted because those rooms have balconies. Think I was able to accomplish that because I got in early (Tuesday morning).

What did you like about staying at this hotel?
Since you might have already wrote about it from the questions above, just make a quick list about the things you liked the most about your stay at this particular hotel.

:
- close location to the convention center
- had great customer service
- great view from my room
- a lot of Con activity in the lobby.  I love the energy.
- There are panels scheduled in the hotel
-  They run movies in one of the ball rooms
-  Volunteer HQ is in the hotel

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?
Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 

:
No Complaints
It is my favorite Hotel.  I hope to stay there next year

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 01:55:08 PM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #212 on: Today at 06:47:10 AM »

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #212 on: August 04, 2022, 04:53:50 PM »
Name of Hotel:
Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Type of Room:
2 queen beds (single occupancy chosen on hotel reservation form)

8 (arrived Sunday before con, departed Monday after con)

2019, 2018, 2017, 2016...(I forget after that...but at least a few more times)

Hotel Review:

Yes, they had a few, the only I took advantage of was the poolside bar, margaritas in the hot tub

All staff were professional and great when they were engaged with

Room services was available, but did not order any

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
The pool area was great.  Large pool, many lounge chairs around it.  2 hot tubs I believe, but I only used the one closer to the pool area entrance. You'd not believe how well a hot tub works after walking all over SDCC each day.  I also had a mini fridge that I asked for in the room, that helped w/leftovers when eating out.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
Just me in the room so no issues with space

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
I believe parking was $40/night. It did give in/out privileges tho.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
I believe it took something like...15 minutes?

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
Walls were thin, but to be expected for a hotel (I think)

Yes

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
Yes, Hilton Honors, Silver

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
Many celebs room here...I met Keanu Reeves, as well as quick "walk by hi" to Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld.

• Starbucks as part of the hotel, good for early coffee (when there wasn't a crazy line)
  • Close to the convention center...easy walk
  • FX/other offsites near
  • Loved the pool area...wasn't crowded...hot tub was great
  • Easy access to skybridge to cross over into Gaslamp
  • The hotel had instituted a "ask for housekeeping" policy, not each morning as I was used to while travelling.
  • As others mentioned, the union strike was quite jarring...I'm a pretty big guy so no one messes w/me, but on more than one occasion walking out of the hotel being approached and being yelled/screamed at w/a bullhorn definitely wasn't fun. Luckily that didn't last long.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2022, 06:06:01 AM »
Name of Hotel: Omni

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes, had bar/restaurant that we never used.  Also had a Coffee shop that my group used a couple of times on the way out the door.  Was really no line to grab coffee but it was also around 530AM.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Yes, the staff was excellent. Zero complaints

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? Did not use any of them.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?  Previous years we stayed at Bayfront and Hard Rock and I feel like this room was a little larger.  Had a small fridge for drinks that we didn't have to remove all the stuff like in the Hard Rock.  Beds were comfortable as well.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? N/A

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? I'm all about location and the Omni is awesome!  5 min walk as long as you don't hit a train coming by.  Love being right across the street.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? No issues with noise.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? I am not

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? No celebs sighted which was a slight letdown from our stay in Hard Rock in 2019.  Will certainly be trying to stay here again in the future.

What did you like about staying at this hotel? Actually felt it was the quickest to get to from previous stays.  Bayfront if you aren't coming from Hall H line actually seems farther away a bit.  Hard Rock may be a little closer but there is always a slowdown crossing street there and having to deal with security and key cards.  Was able to make it from exhibit floor and back to drop off stuff in around 15 mins. 

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel? Weird farmhouse sliding door on the bathroom that barely closes the opening without a gap which can be awkward when cramming 4/5 people in the room.  When checking in they billed me $500 more than I anticipated which was a $100 a night amenity fee which they said I would be credited back if I didn't use any amenities.   

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #214 on: April 08, 2023, 10:06:04 PM »
Name of Hotel:Hard Rock Hotel San Diego

Type of Room: King Bed Studio & 2 Queen Bed Studio
Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Yes, did not make use of any of them.

Most of front desk staff, housekeeping, maintenance and bellhops were courteous and polite.  Some of the security staff in the elevators and out front were a little aggressive. Having to show a card key every time I entered the lobby got old very quickly. Also,
 being loudly told to get on another elevator by security when I am paying to stay in the hotel is something that irked me.

No

I did not visit the gym(even though I paid for access apparently), some others in my party did and found it useful. Did not visit the pool.

Rooms were bigger than the ones I've had at the Omni and Hilton Gaslamp Quarter. Large bathroom and shower, very modern look to the entire room. Mattress was super comfortable.
Stocked fridge with  liquor, beer, soda, bottled water & candy.  NONE OF IT FREE! (I took things out to make room for stuff i bought at Ralphs and made sure to put them in their original places at check out). There was an "intimacy box" with condoms, lube and candles(all with prices clearly marked) . Definitely something I hadn't seen at other hotels. I left the box alone too.

N/A

It's right across the street, so not a long walk.  But you do  have to navigate through the crowds to get across the street.

My room faced the convention center, did not have any major  issues with noise from other rooms.  Lobby area and near elevator could get loud particularly during the EW party.

NO ::)   One of the annoying things was the VIP PASS . What a bogus charge.  WIFI and access to the gym should be free. The VIP PASS and the $500 amenities hold I did not feel were explained well during checkin. It was also at a time when I was tired and just wanted to get to my room and unload all my stuff. So maybe I wasn't listening as well as I should have been.

Not sure if they have a rewards program

I was looking forward to staying here because of the celebrity sightings I've heard other people talk about.  I saw NO ONE. Perhaps the limited elevator access/elevator police might be the reason.  Two of my friends who didn't go to SDCC, but tagged along to see San Diego saw Winston Duke at the exercise center but didn't figure out who he was until later that day. "We saw this guy using one of the bikes. I knew his face but just couldn't remember from where..."

*What did you like about staying at the hotel?
Proximity.  Size of the room and bathroom. Comfortable bed. Room had a modern, well maintained appearance. Will keep it in my list of downtown hotel options, but probably not first choice.

*Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?
There was a hold of $500 per room placed to cover amenities in the room, which I wasn't expecting.   It was refunded within 24 hrs of returning home.  Access to my room was delayed when I first got there because the lock wouldn't open due to a dead battery.  It took 3 trips downstairs for  a new card key before some one figured out the problem. Replacing a hotel lock battery apparently requires Maintenance to replace the battery and Security to reset the code afterward, so it was not a quick process. I did not enjoy the frequency of  having limited access to all the elevators at the front of the hotel.

Offline kimchi_paradise

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #215 on: April 12, 2023, 10:52:06 AM »
HOTEL REVIEW AND FEEDBACK LAYOUT

Name of Hotel: Hotel Solamar

Type of Room: 1 king-sized bed

Hotel Review:

There was some quick breakfast and free coffee in the foyer, which helped to save some money from buying breakfast from Starbucks or keeping snacks in the bag during the con. Cost-wise, it was probably the same.

Hotel staff were courteous. Valet was timely in case you needed it. It was weird though since we got a physical key (like metal key) for our hotel room, and after a certain time, you could not get in without a key card, so had to knock/get front staff attention to be let inside the hotel. Our room was one of the only ones with a physical metal key due to them fixing things up, so I suspect that this shouldn't be too big of a problem for most folks.

There was a pool with access, and it was a great pool -- husband used it every day with our toddler. Great area. It was closed off during the National Geographic party that was happening, but other than that it was a great time.

Room was very spacious for 2 adults and a toddler. They were able to provide a small cot for our toddler daughter which was very helpful.

Parking rate was $55 per night.

It was in a great location, it was about an 8-10 minute walk from the con. Close enough that the walk wasn't bad, but far enough that you were just outside the craziness, which was nice with a toddler. Because of this flexibility I hope to have a closer hotel in the future.

Walls weren't super thin that you could hear other guests, but you could hear outside commotion. I suspect that it would be less intrusive here than in the heart of downtown/by the con. It did not cause us any problems, as the rooms were well insulated from the noise.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? No

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? Not really....

- close location to the convention center (8-10 min walk)
- had great customer service (always available for questions, even had packages delivered there)
- close to a lot of restaurants
- great view from your room
- got to see a few smaller scale celebs and artists, such as Ahmed from Community and a Spiderman Comic Artist.

Nothing in particular stood out as BAD per se. Parking was expensive, the room was expensive, the small grab-and-go breakfast available wasn't free -- but this is normal stock for most of the downtown hotels. Also having an actual metal key was slightly worrying since we didn't want to be responsible in case that key was lost, unlike a key card. Still a great experience and worth the premium due to proximity to the convention center. The rooms were decently sized for a couple and a child, and the hotel folks were pretty flexible.

Offline Amurphy599

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #216 on: April 12, 2023, 05:13:51 PM »
Hilton Bayfront 2019 double bed. Excellent location, room was basic but clean.

Offline kamisbutterfly

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 81
« Reply #217 on: April 24, 2023, 10:07:47 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hard Rock Hotel

Type of Room:  1 king-sized bed standard room

Number of Nights You Stayed: 3

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes, Mary Janes was connected to the hotel and there was also a Starbucks nearby. Both were great.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? The staff was awful and unhelpful. They were rude and unless you were a celebrity, they treated you like trash. The only helpful staff was the bell hop guy who, without us realizing it, was preparing us for our stay.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? They had them and you would be able to use the for an additional $25 a night. However during the con everything is closed because of special events.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? The room was the size a standard room at a hotel. However, this hotel charges more per night than any other hotel and there is nothing in the dated room we had to warrant such a price.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? We drove and it was about 50 a night I believe.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? Walking distance but with the crowds in the Gaslamp probably like 10 minutes.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? This is a loud hotel at all times of the day. Bring earplugs.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  No

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? I am a member but upon check in was told there are no perks to being a rewards member.

This hotel used to be known as the hotel celebrities stay at. This is no longer the case as its mostly reporters and entertainment companies’ staff that stay here. I chatted with 2 reporters on the elevators and they mentioned the Pendry is where the A-listers stay. Also there are apparently parties there but not even they are invited. There are some minor non A-listers that do come here for those interested.

What did you like about staying at this hotel? Apart from being close to the con center nothing else.

This is very long so pardon but read on for why you should never stay here. It started even before I checked in. If you uber or get dropped off they send you to the Omni because they close the street off. You can only enter the closed street if you are staying there and will valet. I drove there and it was an adventure to get to valet. They didn't believe me that I was staying there. I had my email, reservation but I figured they were just being strict. Than upon check in the front desk agent wanted to charge $25 a day for wifi and amenities like the pool, gym, 207 lounge etc. All those amenities are closed because of the parties and some of those have been reserved for parties. I told her that too and front desk agent just laughed. I have their rewards program and the front desk agent said she never heard of the program when I mentioned it to her. She went and asked her manager, her manager came by and said the rewards program doesn't do anything. I am like ok well thanks for letting me know. We were told to use the 3 elevators to the left and were assisted by the bell hop staff. On the way to our room, we were greeted by what the bell man called the suits. He than dished all the tea on how ridiculous the hotel is by hiring a manager to attract Hollywood people, a manager to pick the music and manager for private parties. Thinking back on it now they should have hired a customer service manager because the hotel is severely lacking in that.
Once we got to our room, I was shocked with how old and dated it was. It looked like a hotel room from the 80’s. Old damaged furniture and fixtures. A remote from the last century with buttons that didn’t work. About 4 of the light fixtures didn’t work. The bathroom had mold in the shower and the sink had major water damage.
We went out to the con using the elevators they told us to. Day 2 comes and suddenly we can only use 1 elevator on the left out of the 3. The other 2 had a rope. My guess was they were for people going to their parties. They have a silly side entrance with a red carpet that we weren’t allowed to walk to. I also should mention the noise, its ridiculously loud at all times of the day so if you are sensitive to this look for another hotel.
We also weren't allowed to wait in the lobby for some odd reason. I was waiting for a friend for dinner and the hotel staff said I can't wait in the lobby and sent me to my room. She says go back upstairs or wait outside! This lady yelled at a hotel guest for being in their hotel lobby! I've never stayed at a hotel where the lobby is forbidden to wait in. I thought ok whatever but than the day of EW party they wouldn't let me use any of the elevators to get to my room on the 7th floor. They told me to go to the other end of the hotel and use those or take the stairs. They were so rude and treated us like trash. When I tried to take the car out they said they weren't taking valet calls because of the party. So I paid 50 a night to have my car trapped behind maybe celebrity cars.
Checkout time came and I asked for bell service and no one came. Called again and the guy said oh we forgot we are busy. At this point I just want to leave and get my car from valet but plot twist they aren't taking valet calls. So me and my group go downstairs finally get a guy to find our car. 3 trips up and down to get our stuff in the car. I should mention that I tried to check out like 5 times and never got my bill no email nothing. I finally get a txt 3 hours later saying I checked out. I will never stay at the Hardrock again. I would not stay here unless I had no other choice. This is a dying hotel, and they are desperately trying to cater and be cool at the expense of those who actually paid to stay there. They are nowhere near the caliber and quality of The Pendry and have the worst all around service that I am not surprised celebrities are choosing not to stay there anymore. One last bit, about 2 or 3 weeks after the con I saw charges on my credit card from the Hardrock and I was never able to get them to answer where these charges came from. I did a chargeback and got my money back. I did end up contacting and emailing them about my terrible experience, but they didn’t care and never answered me. Please stay away from them, you deserve a better hotel stay than this.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 10:16:20 PM by kamisbutterfly »

Offline Kira001

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #218 on: July 24, 2023, 04:51:47 PM »
Name of Hotel: DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel Circle

Type of Room: 2 Queen Beds + pull out sofa bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2023

Hotel Review:

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Only dealt with the hotel staff once and that was during check-in, the person the woman checking me and my group in was pretty friendly and gave everyone a free cookie that Hilton usually hands out when you check into any of their hotels

If yes, tell us if you had a good or bad experience with room service.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? I did notice that the hotel did have a pool but did not use it

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?  How many people occupied the room during your stay? The room seemed like a standard size room that would have 2 queen beds

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? $30 per day

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? Around 30 minutes

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  Yes

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? No

Both the bed and pillows that they had were both pretty comfortable

Really don't much have much negative to say about the hotel but it is starting to show it's age with nicks and scratches on the furniture around the room. Also, there really isn't that many places in regards to food around the hotel. There is a small corner by the check-in desk with the standard snacks but if you wanted something to eat before going onto the shuttle, you're going to be hard pressed. 

Other then what I wrote above, it's a pretty good hotel if you're just looking for a place to sleep in-between days. Also there is going to be a $50 security deposit per night, just figured I would write this down since I know I am always checking around how much the security deposit is going to be a couple days before I actually check in

« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 04:55:18 PM by Kira001 »

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #219 on: July 24, 2023, 05:36:03 PM »

Name of Hotel:  Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island

Type of Room: 2 Queen Beds

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?  Yes
   If "Yes," tell us about the restaurants and type of food they had (if you remember).
The hotel had a restaurant/bar called "Panorama"--you can find images of the menu on Yelp.  I was only able to get food there once, as the restaurant closed at 9pm and the bar closed at 11pm and I was almost always back later than that, but I did get a breakfast burrito to go the last morning.  It was ok--a little dry, but it came with salsa and pico de Gallo.  On the pricey side at $20/tip.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Yes

* Did you order room service? No--I would have, but like the restaurant, room service ended at 9pm.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?  No

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?  How many people occupied the room during your stay?  It was a pretty standard-sized room with adequate room for 3 people.  4 might have been pushing it, and there were only tables/chairs enough for 2 people.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? $35

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?  Around 12-17 minutes by car.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?  I didn't have a problem and I had the bed closest to the hallway.  During the day I was aware of airplane noise but was possibly too tired to hear it at night.  I was in the elevator with one woman who was super agitated at the noise she got from the ice machine, so maybe try to avoid a room near that.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)  Yes

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?  Yes.  Diamond, so free premium wifi, and $30 dining credit each day.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?  The housekeeping seemed very erratic.  One day they didn't seem like they finished cleaning the bathroom as we didn't have a full set of towels and they didn't take the tip.  We had to call down at least twice on separate occasions for more towels.

- location reasonably close to the convention center for not being in the downtown area traffic
- decent sized rooms
- able to get points/some perks from rewards program

- overpriced (like every other hotel during SDCC
- parking charge
- traffic going by the airport towards the convention center
- early closing time for all food service
- unreliable housekeeping (signs all over the room say cleaning is only by request, but this is outdated, as it has resumed daily service)
- place to tap card on entry to parking lot is recessed, so difficult to reach if you have short arms/disinclination to scrape up your car getting close enough
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 03:57:05 PM by jnyama »

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #220 on: July 25, 2023, 06:10:09 AM »

Name of Hotel: Marriott Marquis Marina

Type of Room: 2 Queen

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes
   Restaurant inside, did not use. Pool has food service but did not use. Quick service counter-did use. Fast grab and go options of sandwhiches and salads and beverages plus hot food like breakfast burritos and bagels, lunch had hot sandwiches and pizza. We liked everything from here, nothing fancy or amazing but decent for convenience and price.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Polite, no issues

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? There is a pool, did not use. Didn't look around much for other amenities.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?  How many people occupied the room during your stay? Two people in the room. It was large enough to move around and pile all our con purchases around. With four people it may have been more cramped considering all of the things bought at con. With no excessive purchases four would be fine. Slept comfortably, could only hear the music from the What Not offsite during the day, at night it was quiet enough to sleep.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? On foot, less than 10 minutes.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? Could not hear hallway or nextdoor.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  Yes if a rewards member which is free to sign up for

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Yes, basic level, free internet and earn points

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? There were a few celebrities staying at the hotel based on instagram pictures but we did not see any in person.

Proximity to con and gaslamp is great
Room size is perfectly fine

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 
No negative experiences, price lines up with other con rates

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #221 on: July 25, 2023, 06:44:03 PM »
Name of Hotel: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes, the hotel had a cafe, a bar, and restaurant. The cafe was not officially a Starbucks (or even a licensed Starbucks), but it served Starbucks-brand coffee and had many of the same menu items. Prices were much higher than a real Starbucks but they offered 15% off for Comic-Con attendees and opened earlier (5am). We didn't go to the bar or restaurant. The restaurant served breakfast but it wasn't free.

The hotel was in Hazard Center which IMO makes this one a cut above most other hotels in Mission Valley & especially above Hotel Circle. Hazard Center is a generic but cute shopping center with restaurants, a movie theater, shops (including B&N) and grocery (Ralph's). It's also a block away from another shopping center with more restaurants and grocery (food4less) and an awesome seafood taco truck. 

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Yes, the staff was very good.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? They had a gym and an outdoor pool, but I didn't use them.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? The room was a pretty good size for two people. It's among the larger rooms we've stayed at. There was room to move around, pack and unpack, and store all the stuff we got. But, the room did not quite have blackout curtains. Also, while the most recent remodel was nice enough, it wasn't a complete overhaul and I could still tell it was a 50-year old building, i.e. there were lots of marks and scuffs on the shelving and it still had questionable plumbing.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? I didn't, but it looked like $36/night.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? Another nice thing about this one is that it was right by the Green Line so you could take the trolley or shuttle. Trolley was 20-25 min each way. Shuttle was first out, last in so it was about 20-25 minutes on the way there and 30-40 minutes on the way back, depending on traffic.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? Yes, but it was pretty bad. There's faster wifi for a price.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? I'm a Hilton Honors Silver member but I was not aware of any perks. They thanked me for being a rewards member at check-in.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? The bathroom is the sliding door type which isn't completely opaque, doesn't really close, and is a little awkward if you're sharing a room. Tbh I'm seeing this more and more and this trend needs to DIE.

What did you like about staying at this hotel? Rooms were comfy and spacious. Fridge in room. Access to both light rail and shuttle. Steps away from amenities, which is unusual for Mission Valley. (Relatively) easy on the wallet.

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel? Kind of far away, but that isn't the hotel's fault. But the bathroom door sucked, and that is the hotel's fault.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2023, 12:11:02 PM »
Name of Hotel: Marriott Marquis Marina (MMM)

Type of Room: 1 King double occupancy (room had a chair that was also secretly a fold out bed/cot)

Number of Nights You Stayed: 7 days 6 nights. 7/18 - 7/25

Hotel Review: First time at MMM, 2nd time in SDCC. So far, this is my favorite hotel and room. It was like 3 times the size of my room at Horton and it was modern!!! The view was great! Our room was facing the Hilton Bayfront, Hulu Offsite, Adult Swim, concert shell, and the boats! I had a wonderful view of the rear steps where everyone was taking their cosplay photos. This is my first year using the BonVoy app and while I think I was able to add it to my profile, it still currently says I have zero points. I couldn't use the free Wifi - only prepaid is available for me. I don't travel much.  :( The bathroom was heavenly to say the least. I liked the bright lights that were motion sensored, and the shower was huge! So large it would fit both me and my partner together (though no, we did not shower together LOL). Again, everything was very modern including the digital thermostat. There's an empty fridge in the room that we filled with coffee, seltzer, and stuff from Ralph's (a short walk straight walk about 2-3 blocks). Our keycards did get de-magnetized because they sat next to our phones and wallets, but getting them replaced was easy. Also on the BonVoy app it showed me being charged with the Destination Amenity Fee however on the paper bill we received it showed we were not charged.

We arrived late Tuesday night and the restaurant outside of the South Tower was closing however the kiosk heading toward the lobby was still open. We ordered chicken fingers and fries and a chicken salad. Both were delicious. Even though the salad was pre-packaged and probably sitting there for most of the day, the lettuce was still delicious and crunchy. The fries were an absolute treat because they were freshly fried - chicken fingers were...well chicken fingers. LOL I didn't spend time at the pool though I wished I could - do they allow shorts and sports bras in the pool (I'm too embarrassed by my body to wear anything else.)

My partner and I did spend one night watching anime in the function rooms in the North Tower after dinner. That was awesome and sadly it was mostly empty. There were at most 7 people in the 4 function rooms. I asked the hosts who were running the anime episodes if it was  always this empty. They said during the day, they get about 40 people, but at night everyone is doing nightlife stuff. It was quiet and I liked it like that.

I was just too tired to even hear what was happening in the next room. But after the convention, I did notice sound seeping in from the next room. It wasn't loud, but almost whispery. Didn't order room service - didn't see any room service menus. The room was oddly void of many things - usually you see a booklet with ideas to visit and menus and stuff like that, but the room didn't have any of this. As modern as the room is, my side of the bed didn't have any USB plugs. It did however have a small night table with the phone on it. And there was no clock in the room. That part was weird - the hotels I've stayed at previously all had a small digital alarm clock.

We travelled by foot mostly because it was soo close to the convention. Towards the end of the stay, we did take the trolley up to Little Italy. It was very easy. We bought a day pass. The only scary part was the mentally ill man at the Seaport Village station who kept banging a rock against the poles. I was worried he was going to throw that rock at my head or something. I think it was like a 5 minute walk at the most to the convention center - the only unfortunately part is MMM is by gate A and if you're trying for exclusives, you have to walk the entire length to either gate G or to the tents outside depending on the hour.

On the very last day as we waited for the elevators on the South Tower, I saw someone that looked remarkably like Leonard Maltin. I'm pretty sure it wasn't him, this guy was like in his 80s with a cane. I mentioned it in the full elevator and the guy standing behind me did a double take and said, yeah, you're right, he does look like him.  :smilie_confused_dontknow:

My favorite about the room was that it was spacious and the warm water in the shower was virtually instant, even though we were on the 10th floor! They had full sized bottles of shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner and it smelled wonderful. The elevators were really fast for the most part. During the convention because of soo many people coming and going, many times the elevator doors would complain because they had been held open too long. Otherwise, this was a huge step up from Horton, though both hotels had great staff service. It was a perfect stay pretty much - so much so that I didn't need an alarm to get up early for the exclusives line. The hotel even had a little store in case you forgot things like swimsuits, snacks, supplies (shampoo, toothbrush, paste, etc). My partner forgot his flip flops and easily was able to get a pair in the store. I bought knickknacks for my co-workers. It even has a Fedex counter.

What didn't I like about the hotel? Nothing really. Maybe a switch for a fan in the bathroom - this bathroom didn't have a separate switch to turn on bathroom fans.
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2023, 07:31:07 PM »
Name of Hotel:

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Type of Room: (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?)

1 King Sized Bed with two (2) balconies

six (6) nights

Hotel Review:

(Here are some questions to get you started as you think about your hotel stay during Comic-Con.  Again, you can answer all or some of these questions to help you write your hotel feedback comments.)

Yes. 
Starbucks - I got coffee multiple times and breakfast sandwiches
Exchange
I ate at the Pool Bar once (I forget the name)

Hotel was very nice and professional

If yes, tell us if you had a good or bad experience with room service.

No room service

I didn't use the pool or gym

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?  How many people occupied the room during your stay?

No roommate.  I had a very nice size room.  I could have lived in that room.

No car

5 minutes on foot

I couldn't hear anything from the rooms on either side of me. 

Yes for members of the hotel's rewards program, but I didn't use it.  I have my own hotspot device.

Yes.  I'm not sure of the level

I did see Leonard Maltin near the elevators.

Since you might have already wrote about it from the questions above, just make a quick list about the things you liked the most about your stay at this particular hotel.

Example list:
- close location to the convention center
- had great customer service
- Additional panels in the hotel ballrooms
- great view from your room
- Activity in the hotel lobby
- It's my favorite hotel

Example list:
Totally Minor issue.  The Sunday bag check ends at 3:00.  It used to end at 5:00.  I've been using the bag check at the convention center.  As I've said, it's a totally minor issue, and if it's the price I pay to always stay at the MMM, I'm fine with that.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 07:32:58 PM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #224 on: July 28, 2023, 08:22:04 AM »
Name of Hotel:
Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Type of Room:
Coronado Bridge View 2 Queen Beds

2015-2023

Hotel Review:
This is my go-to hotel. Close to the convention center and easy access to the Gaslamp via the pedestrian bridge.  Always clean, the amenities were great, and ready access to pool and restaurants and other amenities (like fitness center) when needed.

Some items:
- Pool area was just ok this year...there seemed to be an inordinate amount of kids running around this year, more so than last.  And after hanging out there (mostly hot tubbing) I caught a pretty bad cold that I been trying to kick (and I think I finally did *today*) and that impacted my overall con experience.
- Restaurants: super easy access, but I think they bumped up the pricing a lot
- Staff: Fantastic; all staff were helpful and quick to assist
- WiFi: Free for hotel guests per their sign in
- Sightings: This hotel is usually the place for celebrity sightings, but with the strikes, none of that obvs this year.  Although bumped into folks like Rob Liefeld as they seem to stay here.
- Am a rewards member but no special perks this year that I saw.

- Room size
- Service
- Access to all around the area
- Super close to center

I was (un)lucky (?) to get room #666 via the Hilton app, and when I tried to change it, the app wouldn't let me (hmm). The first couple nights in the room it seemed the AC didn't work (thinking that was a coincidence w/the room #) but they took a bit to get it fixed...like Wednesday, and I arrived Sunday.  So while I appreciate that it was fixed and working, 3+ days in the room w/o it working properly was a pain in the ass.

Also, not that I'm a drink price snob, but I do not remember prior years in the restaurant on the first floor that an old fashioned cost $30.  I think I nursed that for like an hour, savoring it.

Overall a great property to stay at, with easy access to all around the area.

"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"