Author Topic: SDCC Parties: Tips, Tricks, & Fun Stories  (Read 97833 times)

Offline lrdavis28

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 18
Re: SDCC Parties: Tips, Tricks, & Fun Stories
« Reply #210 on: April 11, 2019, 10:17:20 PM »
super excited about all of this great info

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
Re: SDCC Parties
« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2019, 09:32:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks! Just followed them on twitter.

You don't have to do it now, but I would recommend setting up notifications from the account to go to your phone.  If you don't want to get notifications now, you should start a few weeks before the con.  That way, you'll know ASAP about the parties.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #212 on: Today at 08:46:24 AM »

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2019, 01:13:39 PM »
You don't have to do it now, but I would recommend setting up notifications from the account to go to your phone.  If you don't want to get notifications now, you should start a few weeks before the con.  That way, you'll know ASAP about the parties.

I agree to sign up for text alerts. If you are someone does not use twitter that often I would still check their account reguarly because text alerts are sometimes wonky. I would check and although I had the alerts on, I wasn't getting the notification even though there were new tweets. Could just be the twitter app being glitchy but it has happened to me several times.

Offline ccparka

• Exhibit Hall
    • Vertical Slice Media
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2019, 02:44:59 PM »
I agree to sign up for text alerts. If you are someone does not use twitter that often I would still check their account reguarly because text alerts are sometimes wonky. I would check and although I had the alerts on, I wasn't getting the notification even though there were new tweets. Could just be the twitter app being glitchy but it has happened to me several times.

Text alerts, like through twitter?

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2019, 03:04:22 PM »
Text alerts, like through twitter?
Yes. I should have called them push notifications since they arent really a text. You go to the account you want alerts from and hit the notification button. It will then send you the tweets without having to actually go onto twitter.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2019, 03:34:43 PM »
You can get text alerts, too. I get actual text messages.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ang

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #216 on: April 27, 2019, 02:41:25 AM »
SyFy's Harry Potter Fan party at the New Children's Museum was amazing and the highlight of 2018 for me. Complimentary food included gorgeous (and really tasty) Golden Snitch cake pops, french fries wrapped in The Daily Prophet paper cones, pretzels and fresh fruit Popsicles.  Most attendees received a house-themed t-shirt (Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff or Slytherin), although, I noticed that they quickly ran out. They also had collectible pins, a photo booth with Harry Potter props; and the opportunity to bob for mystery prizes.  You can read more about it here:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I hope that SyFy continues to sponsor these parties because they are real treat for fans - and completely free (Must RSVP ahead of time).  Much better than the Ready Player One party that I attended (for a nominal fee). 

Offline concelialiss

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2019, 08:29:28 AM »
SyFy's Harry Potter Fan party at the New Children's Museum was amazing and the highlight of 2018 for me. Complimentary food included gorgeous (and really tasty) Golden Snitch cake pops, french fries wrapped in The Daily Prophet paper cones, pretzels and fresh fruit Popsicles.  Most attendees received a house-themed t-shirt (Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff or Slytherin), although, I noticed that they quickly ran out. They also had collectible pins, a photo booth with Harry Potter props; and the opportunity to bob for mystery prizes.  You can read more about it here:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I hope that SyFy continues to sponsor these parties because they are real treat for fans - and completely free (Must RSVP ahead of time).  Much better than the Ready Player One party that I attended (for a nominal fee).

And to get notice about the RSVP and options to attend, you just followed SyFy on twitter?

Offline newyearsunrise

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2019, 03:32:36 PM »
Went to a rooftop party a few years back (can't remember the exact spot). We met Peter Capaldi -- he was staying in the hotel and had come up on the roof just to see what all the ruckus was about. Also chatted with Norman Reedus, who was incredibly nice to my wife. She was standing a few feet away from our group, clearly nervous about coming over, and when he noticed he smiled, waved at her and motioned her to come closer -- then gave her a hug. Super nice guy.

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2019, 11:53:50 PM »
And to get notice about the RSVP and options to attend, you just followed SyFy on twitter?
[member=2130]concelialiss[/member] I found out about SyFy party via the SDCC Unofficial Blog calendar/Offsites - a fantastic resource leading up to and during the Con.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline L3g3nd33

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #220 on: June 06, 2019, 09:32:43 AM »
Anyone been to the Funimation party?  Is it open to public, pre-sold tickets, advanced RSVP?  I think it was Wednesday night last year which would be perfect this year since we don't have PN badges.

Offline quixotichoco

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #221 on: June 06, 2019, 11:25:31 AM »
Anyone been to the Funimation party?  Is it open to public, pre-sold tickets, advanced RSVP?  I think it was Wednesday night last year which would be perfect this year since we don't have PN badges.
I have been past two years! It's advanced limited quantity RSVP but you need to be a subscriber for VIP otherwise the Gen line is crazy long(free trial works). They have appetizers and 1-3 drink tickets (if you do all the activities and sign up email stuff). Anime is on all screens and there's like no dancing but there is music. There are giveaways and spin the wheel stuff but tbh not the best prizes and not worth yet another line for the wheel. Some cute small activities like temporary tats and stuff. If you are a weeb, I recommend trying for them otherwise it's not very lit.

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #222 on: June 06, 2019, 06:51:48 PM »

Went last year and it was alright. They had appetizers, drinks (I think everyone got 1 free drink ticket), freebies, and a photo booth. The music selection was pretty good (2000s throwbacks) but it was a bit too packed to actually dance. As a cosplayer, I was hoping to meet other people in cosplay (especially since I was cosplaying from MHA for the party) but everyone was mostly casual.

Offline L3g3nd33

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #223 on: June 07, 2019, 02:31:04 PM »
I have been past two years! It's advanced limited quantity RSVP but you need to be a subscriber for VIP otherwise the Gen line is crazy long(free trial works). They have appetizers and 1-3 drink tickets (if you do all the activities and sign up email stuff). Anime is on all screens and there's like no dancing but there is music. There are giveaways and spin the wheel stuff but tbh not the best prizes and not worth yet another line for the wheel. Some cute small activities like temporary tats and stuff. If you are a weeb, I recommend trying for them otherwise it's not very lit.

Do they email out a link to subscribers?  Do you remember around when they opened up the RSVP to subscribers?  I don't mind signing up for a month to get into the party and have something to do Wednesday night.

Offline kiddo235

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2020, 02:54:25 PM »
Last year my friends and I just walked up on a party that originally was not for just regular attendees, but then I guess it was too quiet with whatever Twitter promotion they did so the security outside said "Show us the tweet so you can come inside." and then none of us were aware of that, so then he just said "Thanks for showing us the tweet, come on in."  Great unexpected party.  :)
"Always said I wanted to work in Hollywood...I should have been more specific."