Author Topic: WonderCon moving to Downtown LA Next Year! Thoughts?  (Read 11580 times)

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
WonderCon moving to Downtown LA Next Year! Thoughts?
« on: April 05, 2015, 10:32:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mike

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
Re: WonderCon moving to Downtown LA Next Year! Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 03:52:58 AM »
I really enjoyed seeing WonderCon for the first time this year and I think Anaheim is a wonderful location. I'm sad I won't be able to have the same experience next year. It's like dang you mean everything I learned this year was for nothing?! Heh heh

I'll give Lois smelled (Swype translation: "Los Angeles") a shot, maybe. Traffic was horrible enough from San Diego to Anaheim. I know LA traffic is like 100x worse. MOST likely would take the train rather than drive up.

Yeah...I could see it working out okay. But much prefer Anaheim.

*EDITED to replace moist with MOST. I really need to start proofreading my posts.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 02:09:47 PM by Oreodoh »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:44:28 AM »

The Gossamer

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 06:50:21 AM »
Maybe this is a test run for SDCC to be moved up there if there is no Convention Center expansion in San Diego.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 07:15:36 AM »
It did occur to me last night that maybe they're 'testing out' another convention center to see how it could work for SDCC. Regardless, when they are negotiating further years in San Diego, they will have the background to know exactly what they could get elsewhere. It gives them more leverage and confidence in negotiations.

LA isn't nearly as attractive for us either. We like Anaheim because we do a joint Disneyland/con trip and it's awesome. My husband isn't as interested in just the con in LA. Depending on timing, I might go solo next year, or maybe not. I'd hate to break my streak though... I've gone every year since 2009!

I'm also already committed to ECCC next year (non-refundable hotel) so if it's the same weekend then WonderCon is out.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 07:58:12 AM »
Since i had an idea there might be an announcement due to David actually being at the TB panel, i managed to get Davids answer to the question recorded. the question was
"will WC be in Anaheim next year'
the look on john's face was priceless--LOL-- he called on David to answer that question.

I will be posting the voice recording when i figure out how to do so... anyone got a wiki for that <challenged>

Just to be clear, the reason given was that the "...the space wasn't available in, as much meeting space we would have liked and the arena had some movement issues...." David Glanzer at the TB panel

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 10:12:17 AM »
What do I think? Coming from northern California, the move does not bother me that much. Actually, for next year, it will be nice knowing that I will not go through the 5 between Dodgers Stadium and Anaheim. My gosh, the traffic has been terrible in that area the last few years. Road work doesn't help, but ugh.  That said, I like Anaheim more than that area of LA--more to do in Anaheim and more hotels to pick from. And since Disney tries to keep the area safe around Disneyland, you can feel safe. That area where the LA convention center is at is ok, but when do you leave that spot, yeah...not good. Traffic can be a major problem there too. So people coming from San Diego for example, while I don't have to go through that part of the 5, they will which is not good. No one should go through that part of the 5 and the traffic issue it has. At the panel, the Metro was favored to get to the center. But will others really use it?

So while, in my opinion, 1 year at LA is fine for WonderCon, any more than that would be an issue for me. How David and John sounded, it seems like Anaheim will get WonderCon back after the work is done at that center, which is going to be very nice what I read. I also have a feeling, as 2 other members here pointed out, that they could be testing the waters, or maybe have WonderCon be at LA and maybe CCI at Anaheim after the work is done? Thinking crazy here and I still think SDCC will not move. Actually, I think a new bigger convention center in San Diego might be the best bet. Some local newspapers in San Diego have pointed this out last month, but there is always a purpose behind something, right? Until CCI gives us something further, can Twitter stop the number games in stating which center is bigger--San Diego or Anaheim. I find it silly and a waste of energy. But what we do know, old news that was stated again at the panel, they want a bigger place for Comic-Con. Take that as it is.

@Alyssa
Youtube maybe (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) or you want it on the forum?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:24:21 AM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline janray

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 114
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 10:26:14 AM »
Well...When Wondercon left San Francisco for Anaheim they said it was because there was" construction" at Moscone Center which made it necessary to find another location for that year.  Now Anaheim has "construction" issues for 2016 and Wondercon is moving to LA.
Interesting.

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 10:37:56 AM »
I live 15 minutes away from the LA Convention Center and will still say I actually really like the Anaheim location better. I went to Comikaze at the LA Convention Center last year and it just has the same feel that NYCC does. To me it just feels like the celebration is boxed inside the building. So I'm glad they are only starting with a one year deal.

The 5 and the search for parking situation does suck going to Anaheim, but whatever I live in LA I'm used to the traffic and trying to find parking nonsense.

Also, it appears I'm in the minority, but I would prefer Comic Con to stay in San Diego. From the restaurants/bars, to the hotels the area is just perfect. Hopefully they get the convention expansion done in the next couple of years.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 10:42:47 AM »
How is parking at the LA conv center?

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 10:46:35 AM »
It made me sad that they didn't re-consider SF again but after having gone to Wondercon at Anaheim twice, I can see why they prefer to stay (presumably) in Anaheim. It really is a superior convention center compared to Moscone especially the number of meeting rooms that Moscone is lacking (like the 300AB/DE-sized rooms). I assume the LA convention center is also bigger than Moscone.

The idea of Comic Con moving to Anaheim is intriguing though. I have to admit, I like the idea in the sense that I feel San Diego takes Comic Con for granted and I hate how SD hotels have jack up the prices every year. However, once Anaheim completes its renovations, would it be realistic to fit Comic Con in it. I know they have plenty of exhibit hall space but are the meeting rooms large enough and are there enough meeting rooms to squeeze all the panels in?

Offline Forge

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 10:48:51 AM »
Honestly hearing this takes Wonder Con from being probably my favorite convention (due to the laid-back feel) to not even really wanting to go.  I hate getting to the LA convention center, parking CAN be OK if you get in the convention center lot, but beyond that it's a toss up.  It's not great in Anaheim either if you want something close, but if you're willing to walk a little bit it improves a lot.  There IS a subway stop across the street from the LA convention center, if you want to get on the train that goes through some of the worst parts of LA.  The neighborhoods surrounding the convention center are not very good, and beyond LA live there isn't a whole lot built up around there.  Traffic around there is awful, and it says a lot about the area that Staples and the convention center have been there a long time, but there still isn't a huge amount of stuff built up like there is in the Gaslamp.  Comikaze is a decent convention, but I stopped going because I can't stand the LA convention center.

You often hear people argue that SDCC should move to LA because it's a bigger venue, but part of what makes SDCC so popular & unique is what happens in the area around the convention center, both during and after con hours.  That sort of thing would almost be restricted to LA live if they move to LA.  Anaheim doesn't have much immediately surrounding either but you do have a lot of stuff close by, and I'm not worried about walking through the surrounding areas at night like I would be in LA.  Plus Disney being right there sort of gives it a unique twist that none of the other conventions really have.  Either way as a whole I'm kind of disappointed in this announcement, but I guess the upside is I'll save a few hundred bucks next year :P

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
As a frequent visitor of LA, I've gone to so many Lakers/Clippers games, concerts at both the Nokia theater and Staples Center, Anime expo and Comikaze. There are quite a few parking structures surrounding the convention center. There are even independent parking lots within a few blocks. I've never had a problem with finding parking. The prices for these lots are just as expensive as what you would find in Gaslamp during SDCC. Traffic will most definitely be the biggest deterrent in next year's Wondercon attendance.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »
This was something I didn’t see coming and actually makes me want to go next year...  :o

I have the feeling that there’s more to the move than space at Anaheim being unavailable during construction. After all, they used construction as an excuse to move away from SF despite being offered dates that year. Transparency isn’t CCI’s strong point. Either they want to test out the LA convention center to see if they could hold Comic-Con there, or they permanently move WC to LA as they get ready to move CC to A in 2017.

From scanning Facebook comments, I’m glad to see that people aren’t falling for the “temporary” line this time.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 11:12:30 AM »
I'll start off by saying I've never been to WC or LA/Anaheim.

I wish the show would go back to San Fran personally. I just have no desire to visit either LA or Anaheim AND attend a Con at the same time.  I'm not much of a Disney person, so Anaheim doesn't really do anything for me. LA is expensive and I'd like to visit/see the sites while there, and that all adds up. I'd much rather just visit LA on it's own. A con (when coming from the east coast) can be stressful and expensive on it's own.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 12:29:53 PM »
Won't be going. The pull to WonderCon for me was laid back feel and ease of access. I got great parking everyday arriving by 8am.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter