Author Topic: Conan 2019  (Read 40795 times)

Offline Cut That Meat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
Re: Conan 2019
« Reply #360 on: July 23, 2019, 05:24:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Crazy. AT&T power hour.  Open bar, free food, celebrity bartender and 5 Conan pops.  Why didn't more people show up?  It was roomy.

Who was the bartender?
SDCC 2008, 2010-11, 2013-19, 2022-23
WC 2014-16, 2023
D23 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022
ECCC 2019

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #361 on: July 23, 2019, 07:31:19 PM »
They advertised a celeb bartender or one possibly showing up the show I went to but didn’t actually get one. I got an Iron Man Conan, only first 50.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #362 on: Today at 07:54:32 AM »

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #362 on: July 23, 2019, 09:01:14 PM »
Did the Rory Scoval set. Got there 2.5 hours early, they checked people in about 1.5 hours early. During this time, we went from 30-32 to 51-53 in line. Because they checked people in early, you had people show up who didn't even have tickets but had friends in line and since the 21+ wrist band is just one color, you blend in easily if you got in at some earlier point. So that was more than a little infuriating. However, the show itself was fantastic. There was an opener then Conan himself came up for a 15 minute set followed by Rory Scoval doing an hour of improv including calling in a limo driver off the street, having members of the crowd try and catch cheetos in their mouth, discussing the virtues of high outlets on walls and calling three randos waiting in the standby line inside. The talent was great but it felt like there was a huge drop off in feeling the second year.

(I did not visit it on Thursday where it seems like the vibe was much better)

Offline TheRaven00

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #363 on: July 23, 2019, 11:27:39 PM »
By Saturday the line was crazy. The ticket line and standby lines had flip flopped in size since they started giving only 50 Conan Pop!s away starting Friday. Before then, the standby line for the 2pm Friday show was a crazy length and by Saturday the standby line was only being used for the 6pm (no ticket) event so they could get a Pop and try to scheme for the additional ones for having AT&T.

I agree with the previous post that people were sneaking in before doors opened but at least on Saturday they had a security person that kept the line orderly and asked us a couple times to report line cutting. Unfortunately a new scheme popped up that allowed people to go to the front right before doors opening (I won't go into details to avoid more people scamming the system). I heard people openly brag about how they were able to get in back-to-back shows using the strategy.

We only had tickets to the 4:30 show on Saturday but were able to do standby for a couple shows Thursday. For Saturday, we lined up at 11:30 and wound up being about #40 through the door (were around 25 before the front of line cutters used their strategy). You could tell the workers were sick of the constant Pop! questions by Saturday.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:15:13 AM by TheRaven00 »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #364 on: July 24, 2019, 07:07:38 AM »
There really was no reason not to give away pops to everyone.  I heard stories of the pallets and employees filling their cars with them.  Clearly, they have enough.  Just the usual greed getting in the way.  We see it with Target workers, GameStop workers, AT&T workers etc.   

This is why I have my vow to not buy off ebay.  If can't get it the legit way, I don't need it.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #365 on: July 24, 2019, 10:09:26 AM »
I agree with the previous post that people were sneaking in before doors opened but at least on Saturday they had a security person that kept the line orderly and asked us a couple times to report line cutting. Unfortunately a new scheme popped up that allowed people to go to the front right before doors opening (I won't go into details to avoid more people scamming the system). I heard people openly brag about how they were able to get in back-to-back shows using the strategy.

Oh there was definitely a way to either get in early or stay in between shows.  At the end of one of the shows, a Team Coco person said that we didn't have to leave since we were coming back for the next show.  We said we did to get our pop.  As I said earlier, they really didn't check our tickets after the first time.  They just remembered us and waved us in.  We did have tickets but how would they have known if we didn't?  There was one person that was at every show I was at.  Even when I walked by on Saturday when I didn't try to get in a show, I saw her standing there next to the security guard in between shows.  Which made me think that somehow she is associated with the show.  Yet all I really saw her do was go around and try to buy pops off of people for her "niece".  She asked me a few times even though I told her no repeatedly.

There really was no reason not to give away pops to everyone.  I heard stories of the pallets and employees filling their cars with them.  Clearly, they have enough.  Just the usual greed getting in the way.  We see it with Target workers, GameStop workers, AT&T workers etc.   

This is why I have my vow to not buy off ebay.  If can't get it the legit way, I don't need it.

I think they were trying to control the madness outside by limiting the number of pops being given away.  So once the word got out that only the first 50 would get pops that people would stop getting into standby since there's no way they would get one.  If that was the strategy they defeated it by giving pops to everyone again later on.  Since no one knows when Team Coco will do 50 or everyone, why not try to get into every show?

There are way more pops than I think that people think.  That aren't that rare.  I think since it was originally only given away to people at a taping, that people think that's all there is.  It doesn't make sense to make so few since the bulk of the cost is spinning up a line, once it's set up each one made after that doesn't cost that much.  Not that making a pop cost much to make to begin with.

There was another way to get not just a Conan pop but the Team Coco swag bag that had the pop in it.  It was one of the swag options for giving blood at the blood drive.

At the end of the show, I would see people holding their pops up to the show sign and taking a picture.  I thought that was to immortalize the event.  Silly me.  Those pictures are all over ads on CL for Conan pops.  It's proof that it's a legit pop for sellers.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 10:21:28 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #366 on: September 16, 2019, 06:10:24 PM »

They said 6-8 weeks, but finally got one of the Conan Pops that was won. Even though it was shipped, this might be the best condition Conan Pop I've ever received. Honestly, never thought I could possibly win one of these since there's only 500 a night....crazy times.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:16:11 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Islander009

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #367 on: September 16, 2019, 07:12:47 PM »

They said 6-8 weeks, but finally got one of the Conan Pops that was won. Even though it was shipped, this might be the best condition Conan Pop I've ever received. Honestly, never thought I could possibly win one of these since there's only 500 a night....crazy times.

This is awesome!! And one of the best Conan pops this year in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #368 on: September 17, 2019, 09:24:45 AM »
This is awesome!! And one of the best Conan pops this year in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I got a Conan as Jon Snow as well. Traded for it. I had Conan as Woody, but seeing as I go by Jon. I had to trade it. Luckily for me, I traded it with my lady friend.  She wasn’t about to say no haha. So I got two this year. Which I’m ecstatic about. Most years I can’t even get one.

Offline drummerben

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #369 on: September 17, 2019, 03:41:12 PM »
Managed to get Pennywise and Iron Man this year, got lucky