Author Topic: Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying  (Read 51579 times)

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
Re: Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 10:09:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have to do open reg for the first time since 2010 (when you could just buy tickets later...imagine that!) so I have a questions.

When I got into the buying page for Ret Reg, it had me enter in my member ID (or it was already there...I don't remember exactly) on a landing page before I got the actual buying portion. It already had my member ID as one of the options for badge buying. With Gen Reg, if I enter in with my member ID on the landing page, will I then have to buy myself a badge no matter what? I think it was locked in and I couldn't change it...Although again I may remembering it wrong. I am trying to buy for someone else - I don't need any more badge days.
If you don't want to buy for yourself, enter the Member ID and last name of the person you wish to buy for on the initial buying page.  After that, you can buy for two more ID's if necessary.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »
Additional walk-through resources from 2016 badge sales that might be helpful; hey Professor Toucan: please post a 2017 updated version before the open reg sale!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 10:49:02 AM »

Offline Cut That Meat

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 176
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2017, 07:55:02 PM »
If you don't want to buy for yourself, enter the Member ID and last name of the person you wish to buy for on the initial buying page.  After that, you can buy for two more ID's if necessary.

I believe you also need to make sure the person you enter on the initial buying page hasn't already had badges bought for them earlier in the sale. Otherwise it kicks you out.
SDCC 2008, 2010-11, 2013-19, 2022-23
WC 2014-16, 2023
D23 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022
ECCC 2019

Offline cwooldridge

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
English Newbie wanting advice
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 04:59:14 AM »
So me and the hubbie have both registered and have received our codes for the waiting room. He says that just one of us goes in and attempts to get badges. But I reckon that we both go in and try for badges. Which one of is correct?

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
Re: English Newbie wanting advice
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 05:20:33 AM »
So me and the hubbie have both registered and have received our codes for the waiting room. He says that just one of us goes in and attempts to get badges. But I reckon that we both go in and try for badges. Which one of is correct?

You both need to try to increase your odds of success. Whoever gets in first can buy for both of you. :)

Forum Housekeeping:
Merged this new "English Newbie wanting advice" thread with our already established thread "Newbie FAQs/Discussion for SDCC Badge Buying".
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:31:21 AM by Devorah »

Offline Kruczkowska

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2017, 07:51:56 AM »
Hi. I try to buy a ticket for the first time so there is a question - is there any sites or groups where people usually sell tickets if the can't attend Comic Con or just want to sell them for higher price?

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2017, 07:59:43 AM »
Hi. I try to buy a ticket for the first time so there is a question - is there any sites or groups where people usually sell tickets if the can't attend Comic Con or just want to sell them for higher price?

Here is CCI's rule on scalping:
To prevent scalping, badges for Comic-Con are non-transferable. Each badge features a unique barcode and RFID card registered to the badge holder.

Here are our forum rules regarding discussions of scalping:
No discussions about violating a convention's Code of Conduct.
No discussions that would result in a violation of a convention's Registration Terms and Conditions.
Do not willingly circumvent the rules or policies as stated by CCI, ReedPop, or another convention organizer.

Our full forum rules of conduct can be found here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2017, 01:33:28 PM »

In short, no. There is no reselling of Comic Con badges. They are attached to your Member ID and cannot be transferred.

Offline michelleeddington0523

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2017, 02:45:46 PM »
Hi folks, newbie trying to get to SDCC for the first time and had a few questions about groups and the badge buying. I know it's a very low chance to get a badge in open registration so want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Sorry in advance for being long-winded and hopefully I posted in the right place :-P

1) I hear that it is better to be part of a group for badge buying, and the bigger the group the better. However, I can't understand how it would help to have more than three people in a group. While I know that each group may have its own rules, I was hoping someone could give me an example to understand how it works? The way I see it, since each person can buy three tickets, it makes sense to be in a group of three. However, say you have a group of 12 people, while there are more people who would likely get the chance to buy tickets, each of those people can only buy tickets for two others. If the other people they buy for are chosen at random, then its the same chance as a group of three. However, if there is some list or priority system, then the people in the top half of the list are better off but the people in the bottom half of the list are worse off than a group of three. So I'm lost! Am I better off in a large group (vs forming a group of three) and, if so, could someone please explain why?

2) If I organize a group of 4 but one of us is ambivalent about going, let's say Ms. Ambivalent gets the first chance to buy badges. Could she buy badges for the other three of us and not herself as she would be more ok with not going (for this example let's say that badges then sell out before the other three of us have a chance to buy, so she would end up with no badge)? Would this be ok or would it cause a problem? As we are all non-US people, and will therefore be picking up our badges on site, would Ms. A be needed to pick up our badges onsite as the buyer or would it be fine for the three badgeholders to show up? Would be rather difficult to persuade Ms. A to fly to SD to pick up badges for a con she can't attend... On a related note, could Ms. A use my credit card to buy the badges? My address and name on/linked to my credit card are of course different to her name/address.

3) Just want to confirm that I'm correct in my understanding that a returning reg person can't buy a badge for a newbie like me?

4) Is it important to have the name on the badge exactly match my legal ID? I have a long name and use one of my middle names as my given name. When I registered for a member ID I used that middle name as my 'first' name. In real life this is normally not an issue (except at airports and in legal documents where I use my full legal name). If I got a badge, would I run into an issue picking it up / at security if my legal ID has extra names before and after the one on my badge? I have a credit card and business cards with my name exactly how I registered on my member ID if that makes any difference. Am I being paranoid or should I try to get the name changed on my member ID and/or make a new one with my full legal name?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Yeah, I hope to try the group thing 2018. This was my third year attempting to buy badges solo.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

I am just here to make friends and joining a purchasing group. Hoping to be an SDCC2018 attendee

TravT77

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »
Yeah, I hope to try the group thing 2018. This was my third year attempting to buy badges solo.

I definitely recommend joining one of the buying groups! This year was my first ever attempt at getting badges and even though I had 4 family members all trying, none of us got selected to buy badges.  Thanks to the [member=4801]BenEatsRice[/member] buying group my son and I still managed to score 4 days each. 

Groups work. Period.

Offline michelleeddington0523

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2017, 03:17:42 PM »

I definitely recommend joining one of the buying groups! This year was my first ever attempt at getting badges and even though I had 4 family members all trying, none of us got selected to buy badges.  Thanks to the [member=4801]BenEatsRice[/member] buying group my son and I still managed to score 4 days each. 

Groups work. Period.
Thanks.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

I am just here to make friends and joining a purchasing group. Hoping to be an SDCC2018 attendee

Offline meecheles

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2017, 02:56:22 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out this whole badge buying thing. If I'm lucky enough to join a group during Return attendee badge buying session and I don't receive a badge.  Could I join another group during the open session in hopes of getting a badge?

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2017, 03:22:45 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out this whole badge buying thing. If I'm lucky enough to join a group during Return attendee badge buying session and I don't receive a badge.  Could I join another group during the open session in hopes of getting a badge?

Actually, if you join a group, you will remain in that group. Every group is working during every sale. For example, let's say that in my buying group I have about 50 people. Of those, 45 are eligible for pre-reg/returning registration. During the returning registration sale, 20 of those people get 4 days+PN. 20 more get 4 days or less, and 5 get nothing. Then during open registration, the 20 people who got 4 days or less will be participating (even if they're happy with what they got, they will participate to help others) and the other 10 people who have nothing will be participating. Some groups also take on new members at open registration.

Hope that makes sense. Please feel free to ask questions if it does not.

Offline bennyb86

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
I hope this is not a silly question (newbie here) so if I join a buying group (just made a member id) and someone in the group is eligible to do returning registration can I possibly get a badge then even if I have never gone before?

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2017, 11:36:44 AM »
I hope this is not a silly question (newbie here) so if I join a buying group (just made a member id) and someone in the group is eligible to do returning registration can I possibly get a badge then even if I have never gone before?

No. Only people eligible for returning registration can have badges purchased for them in returning registration. If someone tried to buy for you, it would show an error.

But it's great that you made a member ID! You wouldn't believe how many people put this off until it's too late.