Author Topic: Best Offsite You Went To/Offsite Review!  (Read 15467 times)

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
Re: Best Offsite You Went To/Offsite Review!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
1.) Archer Live - was perfect. Free food, free drinks, then a live cast reading on top of a yacht at sunset? 10/10
2.) Rick + Morty at Adult Swim on the Green, Dan Harmon + Justin Roiland's night of improvisation and high-quality free swag.
3.) Mr. Robot VR at Petco Park, was about 7 feet away from the cast. Incredible. Would have been perfect if my VR worked. ???

Honorable Mention - Conan. Just wasn't the same as last year, I went to the very first show last year and the energy was off the charts. We roared and cheered for Conan for a good couple minutes last year, this year it was nothing like that. The audience seemed much more excited about Funkos than actually being there. Hopefully next year people will just try for the raffle and let people who are Conan fans go to the show. It was also hot af.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:33:39 PM by rickythump »

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »
100% agree on Archer
80% agree on R&M - we were about 25 people behind the cut off for the goody bags, but still an entertaining show.

Wed - Star Trek Premiere - Will probably be the best offsite / event I ever get to go to.  Music was great, food was great, fireworks, swag and Simon Pegg watching the movie about 10 feet from me.

Fri - Fundays, was my first time attending.  Decent entertainment, GREAT food, and GREAT swag.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 01:52:04 AM »

Offline pieistasty

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2016, 02:25:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wed - Star Trek Premiere - Will probably be the best offsite / event I ever get to go to.  Music was great, food was great, fireworks, swag and Simon Pegg watching the movie about 10 feet from me.

That's the thing I really really regret missing. I've been watching the youtube comic con videos and their are so many celebs that go on and on about how it was the most awesome thing ever. I think one or two even said it was a once in a lifetime type thing. I hear even though the line was long at the beginning for the raffle, at the end it was pretty much guaranteed. I guess they expected a longer line since they must have had too many tickets to give away at the end. The ticket raffle was also supposed to have ended at 2 but didn't it go on until about 3. I should have gotten off my bottom and headed down. I wouldn't have regretted trying and failing, I do regret not trying.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 06:20:32 PM »
we were about 25 people behind the cut off for the goody bags, but still an entertaining show.

That's a bummer, we lined up at 4:30ish, so we were within the first 10 people. I think Adult Swim goofed when they put "line starts at 7pm".

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2016, 10:29:26 AM »
I hear even though the line was long at the beginning for the raffle, at the end it was pretty much guaranteed. I guess they expected a longer line since they must have had too many tickets to give away at the end. The ticket raffle was also supposed to have ended at 2 but didn't it go on until about 3. I should have gotten off my bottom and headed down. I wouldn't have regretted trying and failing, I do regret not trying.
Well my wife won 2 tickets through a facebook contest which was nice, we had a third person in our group though....so we got to the raffle, waited in line for 2+ hours and none of us won (or even the people in line around us).  We looked at the line and couldn't stand in the sun for another 2 hours.  However, wish we would have went to lunch and came back after that when it comes to find out the line was very short.  They should have worked on those odds better to get the winners done faster.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2016, 11:39:14 AM »
My favorite off sites were the Conan shows! But, that’s a given. ;)

The other offsites I went to:

NatGeo Nerd Nite: While I thought the content/presentations were a actually little dry, the chill vibe, great free food, and open bar made this a perfect event after a long day. It didn’t hurt that there was no line, either. (They asked me if I had signed up ahead of time, but didn’t ask for my name. On my way out, they were letting people in and saying they didn’t need to be signed up up to go in anymore.)

Amazon High Castle: This one was kind of meh, I just walked through a room where they had costumes and set pieces from the show. To be fair, that could have been because it was just about the only offsite Saturday afternoon that didn’t have a line. I didn’t do the VR experience (which had a longer line) which may have been better.

Border X Brewing Chicano-Con & Gallery Event: It wasn’t really a “Con," but it was still fun. At Border X Brewing, they had a lot of superhero/comic artwork on the walls and a live band. Then I stumbled upon another art gallery also sponsored by Border X a few blocks away (and right across from my Airbnb) set up in a big warehouse. They had a DJ playing and selling vegan Latin food which I got a plate of. (I’m no vegan...but it was still delicious!)
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline NoNoNuni

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2016, 07:31:26 PM »
I was intimidated by many of the offsite lines, so I didn't really try for any of them.

But I was VERY impressed by my tasting flight at Mission Brewery  ;D

Offline geekyfamilyfriendly

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2016, 01:19:07 AM »
Arched was great! My wife got her boon signed.
They had free food and gave out 2 free drinks.
Suicide Squad event was cool, the line was super long.
I wish I could have tried out more events.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »
Frustrated waiting on registration so figured I would post something to get my SDCC memories going to get me through the wait.  We worked in a bunch of off sites last year so here are my thoughts:

The good
- Conan was awesome as expected.  It it quite a large time commitment since you have to line up in the morning then again prior to the show but we went on Wed so wasn't missing out on much anyway so perfect timing for us.  Great show and really cool to see taping in person.
- Archer was a big highlight.  I'm not even a big fan of the show but the experience was pretty great.  Free food, drinks, on a yacht, what else do I need to say.
- Nerd HQ.  This one has a caveat, we didn't get tickets to any of the panels we wanted so that stunk because even though they cost extra $ their panels are usually the best.  We setup reservations for the gaming so that was a ton of fun, got to skip the lines and play quite a few awesome games then walked around and tried out plenty of PC and console games.  With that being said I thought the overall experience was down from previous years but still a great free event.  If you weren't a gamer no reason for you to be over there though.

So/So
Petco interactive.  Ash cabin was cool and great food trucks.  Overall way smaller than previous years though and we found lacking
MTV Fandom awards.  Good for what it is, to be honest I just think I'm getting old and out of the demographic so wasn't really for me

The bad
- Star Trek premier.  I'm sure the premier was epic but we went though line twice in the blazing sun and didn't get tickets so I'm just bitter :)
- SyFy presents.  We went on Thursday and it was horrible.  Crazy long wait, crappy production all together, was super disappointed.
- Conival.  Previous year this was my #1 offiste so I don't know what happened.  We got there early one day and walked through the entire setup and had little desire to try out any of it.  We caught a couple of the panels but they are so short.  Again we had so much fun the year before with Dragonball Z, jousting, laser tag, etc, no such luck this year.

Was very disappointed no Walking Dead Escape through PETCO last year.  That has always been one of my highlights of the con.

It was crazy how many other large off sites they had, wondering if those setups like Con-X had are the new normal.  We did Hall H all day Fri & Sat so didn't have any other time to check them out.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 09:53:54 AM by tsnyder »

Offline NoOtherOptions!

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 144
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 11:42:54 AM »
I do't think Con-X will ever be back..it was DEAD.  Although I did love my free t shirt (that fell apart quickly) and the free water bottle. Was a nice get away and got to see Paul Dini talk but was shocked only like 20 people were there. 

Offline Legend_of_Melda

• Exhibit Hall
  • Unleash the bats
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2017, 10:30:11 AM »
I really enjoed the brews cruise i went on and i really hope they have another one this year. The one hour emo set felt like a concert and it was so much fun. Im crossing my fingers for brews cruise and conan in 2017.

Offline SandamnWs7

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »
Hope I can get Conan if he goes this year. Found out last year you had to not opt out of 3rd party emails to get the invite to get the Conan tickets... :(

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2017, 04:50:26 PM »
I do't think Con-X will ever be back..it was DEAD.  Although I did love my free t shirt (that fell apart quickly) and the free water bottle. Was a nice get away and got to see Paul Dini talk but was shocked only like 20 people were there.

EW sent me an extensive survey about Con-X a few months ago, asking about how to improve it, what I liked/disliked - so maybe it will? I made sure to tell them it was really far away though.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2017, 05:04:14 PM »
EW sent me an extensive survey about Con-X a few months ago, asking about how to improve it, what I liked/disliked - so maybe it will? I made sure to tell them it was really far away though.

I agree. That's why I didn't go. The only time I was anywhere close to it all weekend was on SUnday night at the FoCC dinner, which was *almost* as far away. I don't think most people even knew it was there.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2017, 12:03:55 AM »
I went to Con-X... But I sought it out, because I belong to an EW feedback group and they offered me an Amazon gift card for doing so. It was an okay space, and I liked the photo ops, but it was a really loooooong walk.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk