Author Topic: Rental bikes and scooters  (Read 11592 times)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Rental bikes and scooters
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 11:48:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I may be ignorant, but do the people that run the con live in San Diego?  I actually don't know.  A lot of my local cons are run by people from out of state.  Even the local fan run cons have some organizers from out of state (though not all of them, of course).  If so, then I guess they'd know if they pay attention to the news.
Yes, CCI is located in San Diego, with their offices right downtown. These things are everywhere. I just drove through downtown this morning bikes and scooters on every single corner

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 11:48:47 AM »
Anybody remember back in maybe 2006 or 2007, when during SDCC, at night, hundreds of cyclists took over downtown in a swarm?  The police either couldn't or chose not to stop them. It was quite a sight.  It lasted about an hour, or so. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:56:59 AM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 05:48:21 PM »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »
Yes, CCI is located in San Diego, with their offices right downtown. These things are everywhere. I just drove through downtown this morning bikes and scooters on every single corner

Ah, good to know!  I wasn't quite sure.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 01:44:25 PM »
The concept of the rental bikes is a little strange to me.  I was talking with a friend about them and it really doesn't come up in life a lot where someone randomly goes, "I really wish there was a bike I could rent if there happened to be one right here, right now.  But there's not so I will take a car or walk." 

Our cities are so sprawled out at this point that planning is required. 

Maybe if someone was drunk in PB and didn't want to drive home, but I think that biking under the influence is still an offense.

Plus, to quote the movie Singles, "People love their cars."

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 04:46:18 PM »
Most of the bikes have a nice basket. If I was someone without a car who normally had to use the super slow bus and hoof it everywhere, I think I'd love the bike to be able to run an errand quicker and preserve some of my time otherwise wasted. Quick grocery runs and such.

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2018, 06:24:38 PM »
And today I saw someone using one of the bikes for the first time.  It had a little headlight and everything.  :)

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2018, 06:53:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login It's complete mayhem in downtown, Waikiki, and Kakaako.  Complete madness.

This is exactly my fear.  The fact that someone up above said that SD has had them for a couple of years makes me think that they either had the kiosk kind, which aren't an issue really, or that I have literally just been oblivious to the disaster these things cause.  It's been four days here and it's just a mess.

People are pissed here too. They've banned them from Coronado. They get impounded if left there. There's no laws or anything regulating them. You see them littering the streets, blocking sidewalks and doors in random places, Downtown, Balboa Park and etc.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2018, 07:00:15 PM »
I thought I was going nuts (which is entirely possible) when they started showing up.  I was seeing green and yellow bikes everywhere.  I finally had to ask a friend, "Do you see them too?"

"I see dead people green and yellow bikes.  They're everywhere!"

Yeah, I've gone nuts.  Someone please call my mom to let her know....

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2018, 07:06:16 PM »
If not said already, they need to hire somebody who can use a truck to use a gps or tracker to collect any after a time or they will just be parked anywhere cause the user just cares to get from a to b and not try park the ride out of the way somehow. so if the program is not fixed due to all the flaws or negative outlook of things then the whole idea may go bust within a year or 2 if nothing is fixed.

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 02:01:54 AM »
If not said already, they need to hire somebody who can use a truck to use a gps or tracker to collect any after a time or they will just be parked anywhere cause the user just cares to get from a to b and not try park the ride out of the way somehow. so if the program is not fixed due to all the flaws or negative outlook of things then the whole idea may go bust within a year or 2 if nothing is fixed.

They normally do as they have to redistribute the bikes as they tend to concentrate in certain areas just a few bikes get left around here and there.  Seen some crazy pictures of bikes being left around but from my experience its not too bad. I feel a lot of the backlash is just NIMBYism. Coronado who banned the bikes is also the same community that wanted to ban bike lanes as a whole.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 02:13:23 AM by Carlo »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 06:59:14 AM »
I work on a college campus and most of the bike racks there have a few. I decided to use one on my lunch break to just putter around and ride a bike for the first time in at least a decade. It was a lot of fun!! I also realized I'm pretty out of shape when I hit and inclines ahahahaha I'm in the camp of "they are cool and I like having them around" The whole "eyesore" and "nuisance" complaints just make me roll my eyes and are always coming from the more affluent neighborhoods, naturally. People have been using them a LOT. You do see them abandoned on hills often and I found out why yesterday LOL
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 07:10:11 AM »
Maybe if someone was drunk in PB and didn't want to drive home, but I think that biking under the influence is still an offense.

not really an Offense due to the relative inability to kill someone else with a bike.
now there has been a case of DWI while on a lawnmower...

I work on a college campus and most of the bike racks there have a few. I decided to use one on my lunch break to just putter around and ride a bike for the first time in at least a decade. It was a lot of fun!! I also realized I'm pretty out of shape when I hit and inclines ahahahaha I'm in the camp of "they are cool and I like having them around" The whole "eyesore" and "nuisance" complaints just make me roll my eyes and are always coming from the more affluent neighborhoods, naturally. People have been using them a LOT. You do see them abandoned on hills often and I found out why yesterday LOL

LOL

if the companies were better run- and could stay ahead of the daily migration into congested areas of the cities - the businesses model makes a lot of sense from an urban planing move.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:14:28 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 07:58:51 AM »
not really an Offense due to the relative inability to kill someone else with a bike.
now there has been a case of DWI while on a lawnmower...

LOL

if the companies were better run- and could stay ahead of the daily migration into congested areas of the cities - the businesses model makes a lot of sense from an urban planing move.

I think they are getting better. In the mornings when I come in to work I see the guys in trucks with them putting them back at the bike racks around campus and the other morning when I was downtown after dropping Jes off, they were one or 2 to each corner parked nicely and out of the main sidewalk. I think the initial uproar got them more on the ball about hiring people to round them up overnight and redistribute them back to transportation centers and high foot traffic areas.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 02:42:05 PM »
Yea, im guessing they see the news and get calls. so they hiring help to collect and restore any to get on better terms with the city and all.

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2018, 05:54:04 PM »
They normally do as they have to redistribute the bikes as they tend to concentrate in certain areas just a few bikes get left around here and there.  Seen some crazy pictures of bikes being left around but from my experience its not too bad. I feel a lot of the backlash is just NIMBYism. Coronado who banned the bikes is also the same community that wanted to ban bike lanes as a whole.

Doesn't seem like they do this enough though, picking up their bikes. The scooter companies are more responsive it seems.