Author Topic: NYCC solo Thurs and Sunday - press - HELP  (Read 2165 times)

Offline whitniverse

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
NYCC solo Thurs and Sunday - press - HELP
« on: September 26, 2016, 05:18:11 AM »
Hi all. So the current state of affairs is that I have a press pass (covering all 4 days) and my friend I'm travelling to NY with has Friday and Saturday passes.
I got assignments from my Editor to cover panels Thursday and Sunday, days my friend can't go. My friend is understandably upset, angry even that this is going to spoil his trip.
But I'm terrified. I've never been to the US let alone NYCC. On my first full day in NY I'm having to split off from my friend and to cover a panel (and possibly do an interview, I'll only find out at the 11th hour). I've never held a press pass before and this is HUGE for me. But I feel I can't talk to my friend because whether he thinks I knew about this in advance or not (I didn't) I think he blames me.

I guess I'm just looking for someone to talk to to take the edge off. For words of advice on how to make it look like I know what I'm doing on Thursday. And how to smooth things over with my friend.  :-[

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
Re: NYCC solo Thurs and Sunday - press - HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 07:06:21 AM »
Being first time press also, i totally understand your concerns about doing press for the first time! 
It's been very interesting so far- what with all the announcements- I've got my first press room on thursday lined up.../yikes/
What site are you reporting for? Maybe we can meet up for a few min's on thursday?

Thursday passes are still available if you friend wants to attend the Con with you on the first day.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:50:35 AM »

Offline whitniverse

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »
I'm reporting for dailysuperhero.com. You?

On Thursday I'm being asked to cover the Marvel Games panel 3-4pm (with a possible interview - eek!) so if we could meet up Thursday that would be great. Not that I'm looking for someone to hold my hand... but I don't even know where I'm going. Possibly to the press room round table interviews? I've been told if it happens it's likely to be a last minute thing.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 05:29:47 PM »
This sites blog  ;)

it's looking like ive got a couple of panels & press rooms on thursday. I think they start at 1:30
maybe meet up @ starbucks early afternoon ish?  I can kinda help get you sorted. I've only been to NYCC a couple of times but think i've got a clue ;)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline majorwalrus

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 07:23:21 AM »
Hey, I've never done press at NYCC before, but one thing I can tell you... the guests are there to promote their work. They WANT to be asked questions and interviewed and reported on, so I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of covering a panel or interviewing someone. In all the years I've gone there I've never seen anyone NOT want to talk about what they are selling. Even if you feel unsure about what to ask or what to do, they will probably have a stump speech ready to talk about what they are doing. I would recommend just recording audio or video of the interview so you don't have to worry about to transcribing the responses in the moment and can focus on asking your questions and listening to what they say in case it sparks any extra questions in the moment.

As for coming to the US and NY in particular, I've been living here for years and it's very easy to get around. During NYCC you can see crowds of people in costume walking down the street from blocks away. If you aren't sure where to go, just follow the crowd of cosplayers. Also, I've been asked more times than I can count for directions, every New Yorker is happy to help people who are new to the city, don't be scared to ask for help.

I don't have a Thursday pass, but my office is literally a block away from the Javitz center (I'm looking at it right now :D), if you need any help finding your way or someone to talk to when you are feeling nervous I'm available. As for your friend, as much as it may disappoint him, you should explain that it's your job to do this and you have a responsibility. Encourage him to get a Thursday pass (still on sale) if he really wants to be with you. I can understand how he might feel ditched in the city, but it's NYC. There is so much he can do and if you have a set schedule of panels to cover, you can always leave the con during your breaks and hang out with him. There is a movie theater about 2-3 blocks away, buy him a free movie ticket he can use while you are working, or offer to buy him dinner when you are done to celebrate!

Offline whitniverse

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 07:21:10 AM »
Alyssa: Of course it's for Friends of CC, doh! Thank you, I'd appreciate buddying up with someone so I'm not walking in on my first day completely alone. Meeting at Starbucks sounds good. My first panel is Thursday 3-4pm, so I imagine getting their a couple hours early won't hurt. What the Starbuck's address? Also, can message each other here or on twitter?

Majorwalrus: THANK YOU. Thank you for the offer to meet up on Thursday, very kind of you. My friend hasn't bitten my head off and has started looking for things for himself to do whilst I'm busy Thursday afternoon/Sunday morning. We even got tickets to see the Nets vs the Pistons at the Barclays Centre that Thursday evening so the edge has been taken off. Ironically, I'm not being asked to cover anything the Fri/Sat (days my friend has passes for) so I can just enjoy those days as a fan. Even have a plan for my Saturday and Sunday evenings. Things are looking up and I'm not dreading it so much.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 09:55:35 AM »
There's a starbucks in the Javits center, ;)
are you on FB & use messenger or KiK. if not will you have a cell in the states?

Offline whitniverse

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 10:24:43 AM »
I'm on FB and use messenger regularly. I'm also on Twitter [member=6346]whitniverse[/member].

Offline whitniverse

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 12:47:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There's a starbucks in the Javits center, ;)
are you on FB & use messenger or KiK. if not will you have a cell in the states?

Is the Starbucks in the "Crysyal Palace"? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Blisterin Thumbs

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 08:10:12 AM »
First off your friend should be happy for you and not angry for having press badge for all four days.  He/She should plan Thursday and Sunday accordingly.  You'll get to spend time together at the Con on the other days anyhow.  There's my two cents.
BotCon 2010 (Orlando) / MegaCon 2011-2016 / NYCC 2011, 2013-2018 / SDCC 2014, 2016, 2017 / Star Wars Celebration V (Orlando), VI (Orlando), 2017 (Orlando)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 01:23:35 PM »
Is the Starbucks in the "Crysyal Palace"? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

yes, it's in the bottom floor 

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 12:47:22 AM »
Hi all. So the current state of affairs is that I have a press pass (covering all 4 days) and my friend I'm travelling to NY with has Friday and Saturday passes.
I got assignments from my Editor to cover panels Thursday and Sunday, days my friend can't go. My friend is understandably upset, angry even that this is going to spoil his trip.
But I'm terrified. I've never been to the US let alone NYCC. On my first full day in NY I'm having to split off from my friend and to cover a panel (and possibly do an interview, I'll only find out at the 11th hour). I've never held a press pass before and this is HUGE for me. But I feel I can't talk to my friend because whether he thinks I knew about this in advance or not (I didn't) I think he blames me.

I guess I'm just looking for someone to talk to to take the edge off. For words of advice on how to make it look like I know what I'm doing on Thursday. And how to smooth things over with my friend.  :-[

i once had 2 ulitmate vip passes one year, and i asked around my personal friends,who wanted to go. So many answered back that they could not go alone, and their significant other did not want to go alone. They all considered it too big a thing and were all afraid of jealousy. it finally went to my sister who used it for only one day.

a regular pass is not a big deal, and a press pass is for work. i see c.e.o.'s (back in the vip room days) scrambling to net help from people that they knew, but were not currently working for them. Even if they could plan ahead, if they needed more tickets, they were unable to get them. not even regular passes.

so, this friend of yours thinks you are far more powerful than a CEO of a major company eh?

sigh.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 04:12:18 AM »
I'm on FB and use messenger regularly. I'm also on Twitter [member=6346]whitniverse[/member].
I just followed you on twitter.... follow me back so we can message re meeting up today ;)  my forum name is in my personal twitter name