Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127733 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2020, 11:12:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I wondered if you could share any more info on this situation? This is the first I have heard of police action in this way. :( Thank you.

They had a news story about this on the local news last night.  They didn't shut the place down.  The police simply went to restaurants and bars to give them a flyer explaining the new rules.  How could the police have even shut them down since the law didn't come into effect until midnight last night?  The restaurant probably freaked out and shut themselves down.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2020, 01:19:49 PM »
I am at the Carlsbad outlets.
Most of the stores are closed. I spoke to one clerk who said they, I assumed she meant the entire mall would be closing tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 09:29:28 AM »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2020, 02:49:00 PM »
State of Emergency now declared for Phoenix and Tucson.  At 8 p.m. tonight, bars will close and restaurants must move to take out, delivery, or drive thru only.  Schools state-wide closed yesterday.

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2020, 04:39:45 PM »
Tales from small town midwest:

I live in a small-ish town in the county above Cincinnati, Ohio. I have mostly been impressed with Ohio's response to the virus. We were the first to shut down schools, bars, and restaurants.

Our main local grocery chain announced reduced hours of 7am-9pm. Yesterday, I went at 7am. It was the most surreal experience of my life. I know we con-goers can queue like no one else, but it is super weird to line up to enter a grocery store. Everyone was incredibly quiet, talking in hushed voices, keeping to themselves. At opening, there was no meat and no bread. Only 2% or skim milk. Some toilet paper but not much (I'm good on TP, though, I always buy the 30-packs and I bought several packs about a month ago when they were on sale). I just couldn't believe the experience. I got what I needed and left as quickly as possible.

I work in local government in a finance office. My office does not deal directly with the public. However, other offices in my building and department do (income tax, utilities, etc). I suggested on Thursday that we should keep the public from entering the building (keep in mind I have absolutely ZERO authority on these matters, I'm at the bottom of the totem pole). My concerns were waved off. On Monday, the people in charge had a meeting based on the fact that other cities and utility companies had chosen to close off from the public. They decided to keep our building open. They literally posted on facebook to assure people that we would remain open. I went home and cried. My coworkers in those office are high risk or have high risk family members. I am still absolutely disgusted that they decided that someone being able to walk in and plop a check down on a counter (when we have mail, online, phone, and drop box options) was more important than the health and safety of their employees. Today, they caved and put us in lockdown. We must still come into work, where there is absolutely NOTHING in place to allow for distancing, and our cleaning service does not sanitize anything, but at least we are sealed off from public access. People are still having meetings and sitting right next to each other! Luckily I don't have to attend meetings.

Within an hour we had 2 complaints (one person wanted to pay cash and get change; one person wanted to hand a check over. Both were told to use the drop box and Cash Guy was told he could come back later with exact change or else any overpayment would be a credit on his account). People can be so incredibly stupid and selfish.

I have done my best to eliminate risk at work. I propped our break room door open and put a sign on it saying to leave it open so we don't have to touch the doorknob. We usually leave it closed because of the public, but that's no longer a concern. I share an office with one other person; we are more than 6 feet away from each other, and I'm making sure to keep as much space between me and other people when I have to speak to them. Using lots of hand sanitizer. Last week Staples almost refused our office supply delivery because I didn't want to electronically sign their tablet. Sorry, Staples, 3 boxes of paper and some binding combs are not worth the risk.

I'm concerned because I am a non-essential employee in an essential industry. I'm scared that even if the government orders a shut down of non essential businesses, I will be forced to come in and work. Never mind that my job literally depends on other places being open - if they are closed, I have no work to do. I will literally be sitting for 40 hours a week doing 10 hours of work, needlessly risking my health for NO REASON. I am lucky in that I live alone and cannot spread it to loved ones. But I am scared of catching it from work and spreading it at the grocery store, or vice versa - I share a printer with a 65 year old woman who is terrified.

I hate that I live in a small town with a mentality of "it can't happen here, everyone is overreacting." Even though we have had 6 cases in our county. People think it's a hoax (super elaborate hoax, Italy and China are super committed to it).

I'm hoping non-essential businesses get shut down, because my sister works in a bookstore (and her husband works in healthcare). I hate for people to lose their jobs. Ohio is allowing displaced workers (AND workers without sick pay!) to claim unemployment benefits immediately, which is amazing. I know I'm lucky to have a very secure job right now, and I'm speaking from a place of privilege, but if it isn't essential, it needs to close. People will not make the safe choice to stay home, so it needs to be made for them.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2020, 05:51:02 PM »
San Diego banned evictions today.  It's a great idea.  This is not the time to be throwing people out of their homes.  San Diego announced yesterday that it had secured about 250 hotel rooms for people that are homeless that get infected.

On another note, I've seen more of my neighbors today than I have in years.  People keep jogging around the block.  There's one person who looped the block for a couple of hours.  I would see her run by the house with her dog every few minutes.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:53:10 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2020, 06:41:08 PM »
On another note, I've seen more of my neighbors today than I have in years.  People keep jogging around the block.  There's one person who looped the block for a couple of hours.  I would see her run by the house with her dog every few minutes.

Usually, I take longer routes for my runs, to avoid the drudgery of running the same paths in loops over and over again, but since the pandemic started, I've felt... I dunno, a tad unsafe being out there. Not about getting the virus (though that is a concern), but about people in general. I honestly don't know how everyone else around me is reacting in this time of crisis, so I want to stay as close to home as possible, which means running loops. The really weird part is, running the same loop 6-7x feels more of a chore than running the same distance / time on a treadmill. I'm not at all sure why that is.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2020, 06:59:36 PM »
I been running at the industrial/office park near my place, running up and down each of the parking areas.  Allows me to stay close, and get some distance in.  I think this whole park will get me to 5 miles.  This was today.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2020, 10:56:24 AM »
I'm officially sick, we don't think it's covid-19, but we're not sure as of yet. I'm hoping it's just allergies (it's mainly a cough and extremely sore throat.)

Ugh.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2020, 11:11:39 AM »
I'm officially sick, we don't think it's covid-19, but we're not sure as of yet. I'm hoping it's just allergies (it's mainly a cough and extremely sore throat.)

Ugh.

Oh no!  Is it a dry cough?  Have you had trouble breathing?  A mucosal cough means it's most likely a cold or the regular flu.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 11:20:25 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2020, 11:27:34 AM »
Oh no!  Is it a dry cough?  Have you had trouble breathing?  A mucosal cough means it's most likely a cold or the regular flu.

It's mostly mucosal, so I'm probably in luck in that case. I just went to sleep feeling poorly and woke up worse, so I texted work like "Here's what's going on and I can't be in today."

It is at some points dry, but it's mainly confusing. I'm hoping it's just a cold or allergies.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2020, 03:19:44 PM »
A completely first world problem, but I really should’ve gotten a haircut before the Shelter in Place.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2020, 03:26:08 PM »
It's mostly mucosal, so I'm probably in luck in that case. I just went to sleep feeling poorly and woke up worse, so I texted work like "Here's what's going on and I can't be in today."

It is at some points dry, but it's mainly confusing. I'm hoping it's just a cold or allergies.

Alright.  Keep monitoring it.  (It does sound like a cold or the regular flu, if it has been mostly mucosal.)  You're probably already doing this, but drink plenty of fluids. Get a lot of rest, and keep yourself isolated in the meantime.

If you develop a fever within the next few days and start having shortness of breath following that, call a doctor and ask them what to do.  (If it is Covid-19, they may direct you to go to somewhere for testing.)

A completely first world problem, but I really should’ve gotten a haircut before the Shelter in Place.

You know, I was thinking how I should have gotten a haircut a few weeks ago as well.  My hair is so long now (down to my waist >__<), but I kept postponing it because I felt lazy, ha ha.  First world problems indeed.  *laughs*
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:28:47 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2020, 03:34:01 PM »
Here's a good article about symptoms and what to expect if you think you have Covid-19:

(Sorry for the double post, but I figured this would be better if it were separate from a normal reply.)

‘I think I have coronavirus’: Symptoms to watch, when to call a doctor, getting tested—and what to expect overall

Published Thu, Mar 12 2020, 3:32 PM EDT

Updated Mon, Mar 16 2020, 6:01 PM EDT

Jessica Migala, Contributor

As the coronavirus outbreak continues to intensify, people are increasingly taking extra precautions in maintaining health and hygiene. Some schools and employers have responded to the global pandemic by shifting to online learning or asking employees to work from home.

With more than 127,000 COVID-19 cases worldwide (as of Thursday, March 12, 2020), according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University, one question that still lingers is, “What should I do — and expect — if I think I have COVID-19?”

The short answer is: It depends. Although the disease has led to more than 4,700 deaths, “the most important message is that if you’re young and otherwise relatively healthy, it will most likely be similar to a common cold — or, worst case, the flu,” Dr. Sandra Kesh, deputy medical director at Westmed Medical Group, tells CNBC Make It.

If you feel sick and reasonably believe you have COVID-19, here’s a list of frequently asked questions, including symptoms to watch for, when to see a doctor, and getting tested:

What are the main symptoms of COVID-19?

According to the World Health Organization, common signs include fever, coughing, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, the infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and death.
Symptoms range from mild to severe and may occur anywhere from two to 14 days after exposure, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.
If you feel sick now, it’s possible you might have the common cold or flu (both have similar symptoms to COVID-19), Dr. Gregory Poland, professor of medicine and infectious diseases at the Mayo Clinic, tells CNBC Make It. The only way to tell if you have COVID-19 is to test for it — although there’s more reason to think you do if you’re in the higher risk group, he says.

Those at high risk include people over 60who also have serious long-term health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease or lung disease, Nancy Messonnier, director of CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said during a press briefing. People who smoke or vape may also have worse outcomes, according to New York City officials.

When should I see a doctor?

The CDC recommends calling your doctor if you develop any of the main symptoms, and have been in close contact with an infected person or recently traveled to an area with widespread of COVID-19.

If you have symptoms of severe illness (i.e., high or very low body temperature, shortness of breath, confusion or feeling you might pass out) and are a high-risk individual, you should seek medical care in an emergency department.

The CDC advises calling ahead before going to a doctor’s office or emergency room. Tell them about your symptoms and recent travels so they can prepare for your arrival. You may be asked to wear a face mask to avoid infecting others.

How do I get tested for COVID-19?

If your doctor thinks a test is appropriate, based on the most recent CDC guidelines, he or she can request a test. However, since the breadth of testing capacity is still unclear, there’s no guarantee you’ll get one right away.
In February, under mounting pressure from state and local officials, the US Food and Drug Administrationexpanded the types of labs that could run COVID-19 tests, allowing private national labs like Quest Diagnostics and LabCorp to start testing. (As of March 10, 2020, at least 78 state and local health labs in the US have testing capacity, according to Association of Public Health Laboratories.)

Testing involves taking samples from the nose and mouth or, for seriously ill patients, the lungs. Timing for test results will vary depending on the lab. For some, like the Stanford Health Care Clinical Virology Laboratory, results can take anywhere from 12 to 24 hours.

What if I test positive?

For the most part, the CDC suggests:

Staying at home (except to get medical care). Restrict activities outside of home. Avoid public places (i.e., work or school) and public transportation (i.e., trains, buses, ride-sharing services and taxis).

Separating yourself from others in your home. If you live with other people, stay in a separate room and, if possible, use a separate bathroom.

Wearing a face mask.If you can’t wear a face mask (i.e., because it causes trouble breathing), then those who live with you should wear one when they’re in the same room as you.

Washing your hands often. Do this with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If you don’t have access to soap and water, clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.

When can I go back to work?

If you’re sick, the CDC advises staying home from work until at least 24 hours after your fever — 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.8 degrees Celsius) or greater — is gone.
Your employer may have a pandemic preparedness plan in place, so make sure you speak with your supervisor about your options. (For more information, here’s the CDC’s Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers.)

Is there a treatment or vaccine available for COVID-19?

There are no antiviral medications that treat COVID-19 at this time, according to the CDC. However, just like any viral infection, Dr. Kesh says taking certain measures can help:

Getting plenty of rest.

Staying well hydrated.

Taking medication (i.e., acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen) to reduce fever and ease aches and pains. (Make sure you follow directions and keep track of all the ingredients and the doses.)

“Based on what we know so far, [for most people] it will probably be like when you’re laid up in bed with the flu,” says Dr. Kesh. “You’ll start to feel sick, symptoms get worse until they peak, and then they gradually go away.”

Jessica Migala is a Chicago-based health writer for HealthDay. She has written for O, The Oprah Magazine, Real Simple, Health, Family Circle, Woman’s Day and others. She is a graduate of the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:36:31 PM by Zero »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2020, 03:39:50 PM »

The flip side: I had my hair cut and colored just before everything shut down, and now I'm regretting spending the money on it since no one will see it.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2020, 08:46:14 AM »
The flip side: I had my hair cut and colored just before everything shut down, and now I'm regretting spending the money on it since no one will see it.

Plus side is you helped someone be able to pay a bill or two.

I had my hair colored yesterday because the shop is closing down for at least 2 weeks. I made sure to tip well since my girl since who knows when she'll be back to work.