Author Topic: Star Trek Bar Experience  (Read 7178 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Star Trek Bar Experience
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2022, 12:48:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Feels like with an upcoming recession, inflation, labor issues and general uncertainty in the air due to Covid, events like these may be absent for the foreseeable future. On one hand, both were really cool. On the other, I recall the waits for both seemed pretty long.

The wait for Bladerunner wasn't so bad, a couple of hours.  The line was much shorter late at night.  Unlike most offsites that close at 5 or 6pm, they stayed open until around midnight.  I walked by late one night and the line was super short.  If I didn't have to catch a Trolley I would have done it again.

The Taco Bell line was super long.  I didn't get in until the second time I stood in line.  The first time it was taking so long that I hopped out since I had a shift later that day.  I didn't think I would make it in time.  I went back the next day and toughed it out.  If I remember right it was about 4 hours.  They too had a late night option.  After the food ran out, they let people in to look around and have a photo OP.  I heard from other people that was easy to do.

I'm holding out hope that there will be real purpose made comic-con offsites.  So far, including this one, they are existing pop-up tours adding a stop in San Diego for comic-con.  The company that runs a lot of the offsites at comic-con has said that the demand for their services is high this year.

My guess is that it will be at least slightly more elaborate since it's an SDCC experience. The LA event only cost $25 and the SDCC one is $60 (even factoring in the current inflation situation, that's a pretty significant price increase for there not to be some more depth to the experience), and also according to Parks and Cons' write-up on the LA event, different food trucks were brought in each day to provide food for that event, whereas the SDCC event seems like it will have more of a set (and likely Star Trek themed?) menu. I'm certainly hoping the SDCC one will be more immersive *fingers crossed*

The more and more I learn about what the LA experience was, the less and less I think SD will be much different.  Even with the food trucks in LA it was still promoted as Star Trek themed food.  The advertisement and description for the SD one looks exactly the same as the LA one with one exception.  I don't think LA had a VIP tier.  The price difference could simply be because its comic-com.  Prices get jacked up for that including storefronts and restaurants that get rented out.  The cost of doing business is high around comic-con so I think they had to raise the price accordingly.

I think it would be one thing if it was 10 Forward on the Enterprise.  It's not.  It's 10 Forward from Picard.  Which is a 21st century bar.

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2022, 01:43:20 PM »
Anyone know what the swag was from the prior 10 Forward pop-ups?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 04:20:11 AM »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2022, 02:08:52 PM »
Okay, so I went to the LA one and loved it enough to go back and take my dad this time. I'll answer a couple things that keep coming up based on the LA experience ONLY:

LA cost $25, which included 2 alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks and food from whatever food truck was there that night. My friend and I didn't read closely and didn't realize food was included until we got there. We'd already eaten, so we just had drinks. You could buy more drinks after you used up your 2 pre-purchased ones through the app (we wanted to try them all so we bought 1 extra to share).

The bar was completely themed out. It's the Picard bar but there were tons of clever little throwbacks to other series and characters. I thought it was really well done and immersive; YMMV of course.

The ticket also meant your seat/table was reserved for the 90-minute slot, which meant no hovering around looking for a place to sit, and you could leave the table without worrying someone would sweep in and swipe your seat.

There was no swag at LA, just several photo ops and actors wandering around you could interact with. They weren't specific characters from the show, just aliens who happened to be hanging out in this bar, which I personally enjoyed. There was a small merch booth in one corner where you could buy shirts, posters, glassware, and a cocktail book. You could also buy the Chateau Picard wines and spirits, but they couldn't deliver them onsite; you were essentially buying a voucher for the website. I bought a shirt and it's really soft and thin and fitted, exactly how I like my t-shirts.

If you like immersive as opposed to being hit over the head with branding and storylines, this is for you. If not, not. I do hope the SDCC experience is just a little upgraded since the price is more than double (swag would be great), but for me, a meal and two alcoholic drinks for $60 (which includes tax and there was nowhere to tip) isn't that out of line. I also live in LA, so again, YMMV.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2022, 03:59:03 PM »
hmmm....

I'm not big on the offsites and/or immersives, but I'm considering this one.   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline teppope

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2022, 07:30:53 PM »
The $60 is a bit pricey, but i do want to go

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 178
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2022, 07:59:31 PM »
Is it kid-friendly? Would a 14-year-old who only has a passing relationship with Star Trek find it cool?

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2022, 08:01:35 PM »
It's a 21+ event, unfortunately

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 178
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2022, 08:02:42 PM »
That’s ok. You just saved me $120!

It's a 21+ event, unfortunately

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2022, 10:55:43 AM »
People saying 60 is pricey is interesting to me being an east coaster, cocktails here are like 15-20 bucks.  So that right there gets you to 40.  But *shrug* it is what it is.   

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1881
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2022, 10:58:34 AM »
I think it's less a bar experience and more just "sit here for 90 min and soak up the vibes"...if this was a more immersive, like, actually walking into a bar to hang out and such, then maybe...but maybe I hate being on a schedule for something like this either...

(or I might be hangry :D )
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2022, 11:12:29 AM »
I think it's less a bar experience and more just "sit here for 90 min and soak up the vibes"...if this was a more immersive, like, actually walking into a bar to hang out and such, then maybe...but maybe I hate being on a schedule for something like this either...

(or I might be hangry :D )

Yeah, I was a little bummed to have to schedule it - and before the panel schedule even comes out - but the tradeoff is that instead of waiting in a multi-hour line to 'walk into a bar' (because SDCC). Plus I'm taking my 70 year old dad who's been into Trek forever and whose knees can't really handle endless lines anymore. So for me it's worth it but I get that it wouldn't be for everyone.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2022, 11:15:30 AM »
We signed up for 9:30 Saturday because we figured it would be a good way to unwind after Hall H Saturday, for the most part nobody in my group overnights for Sunday, and those that did, did it for Supernatural, which is over.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4553
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2022, 01:49:28 PM »
We signed up for 9:30 Saturday because we figured it would be a good way to unwind after Hall H Saturday, for the most part nobody in my group overnights for Sunday, and those that did, did it for Supernatural, which is over.

I already told you that is my Bday party so I can't come.   :P
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline takit0

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 92
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2022, 06:09:18 PM »
I already told you that is my Bday party so I can't come.   :P

And I asked you if you knew the correct location of the party :P
2023: SDCC & Fantastic Fest
2024: ...