Author Topic: Marriot Marquis vs Hilton Bayfront  (Read 7438 times)

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
Marriot Marquis vs Hilton Bayfront
« on: March 25, 2022, 01:23:29 PM »
I've only managed to stay at Marriot Marquis Marina (MMM) once in my years at Comic-Con. It was a great experience staying that close to the convention and a nice environment overall. It is difficult for my partner to walk long distances at the end of a day, so when we are further away it cuts off how late we can stay at the convention and what we attend.

I am curious if anyone has stayed at both MMM and Hilton Bayfront in past years and can compare the experiences there? I usually put Hilton as my 2nd choice based on the nearby location, but have never gotten it or any other hotel that is very close to the convention centre except the MMM that one year. How do the rooms and general environment compare and overall experience?

Is there any other hotel you would recommend as a good 2nd choice to MMM?

Thank you.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
Re: Marriot Marquis vs Hilton Bayfront
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 01:44:46 PM »
For me:
#1 Hard Rock
#2 MMM

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:51:31 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 04:11:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've only managed to stay at Marriot Marquis Marina (MMM) once in my years at Comic-Con. It was a great experience staying that close to the convention and a nice environment overall. It is difficult for my partner to walk long distances at the end of a day, so when we are further away it cuts off how late we can stay at the convention and what we attend.

I am curious if anyone has stayed at both MMM and Hilton Bayfront in past years and can compare the experiences there? I usually put Hilton as my 2nd choice based on the nearby location, but have never gotten it or any other hotel that is very close to the convention centre except the MMM that one year. How do the rooms and general environment compare and overall experience?

Is there any other hotel you would recommend as a good 2nd choice to MMM?

Thank you.

Funny you should ask.  After staying at MMM in 2019, I've decided it's always my first choice.  I also stayed there for CCSE.  I've also stayed at the Hilton Bayfront.  I wasn't impressed.  Maybe it's changed since i stayed there (2017), but my room could have used some updating.  Also, it was on the back, so the view was horrible.  I had to go to my notes to see what would be my second choice, and I had the Manchester Grand Hyatt.  I've never stayed there, so I'm not sure why I had it as my 2nd choice.  Maybe looking at the reviews on this forum, which were very helpful.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 04:21:02 PM »
I have stayed at both and honestly, both hotels are great locations.  I think most pick based on the hotel they have points with. 

I don't think you have missed out on anything not getting the other.   
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 04:34:15 PM »
Funny you should ask.  After staying at MMM in 2019, I've decided it's always my first choice.  I also stayed there for CCSE.  I've also stayed at the Hilton Bayfront.  I wasn't impressed.  Maybe it's changed since i stayed there (2017), but my room could have used some updating.  Also, it was on the back, so the view was horrible.  I had to go to my notes to see what would be my second choice, and I had the Manchester Grand Hyatt.  I've never stayed there, so I'm not sure why I had it as my 2nd choice.  Maybe looking at the reviews on this forum, which were very helpful.

They haven't been updated since 2017, and they charge more if you want a good view.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 04:16:11 AM »
I've stayed at both, and I find HBF really the hotel that I love the most. It's only a little bit more of a walk (couple blocks ish if you think about it, but technically across the street) and I find their social scene to be much better (IMHO). During con I'll hang out in the bar area and people/celeb watch and you can see, and even meet, some folks just wandering around/hanging out.  Great facility I think.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 09:53:14 AM »
I've stayed at both, and I find HBF really the hotel that I love the most. It's only a little bit more of a walk (couple blocks ish if you think about it, but technically across the street) and I find their social scene to be much better (IMHO). During con I'll hang out in the bar area and people/celeb watch and you can see, and even meet, some folks just wandering around/hanging out.  Great facility I think.

By social scene you mean me,  right? I am pretty awesome.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 11:19:44 AM »
Well, yeah, you're tops of the list.  I always try and enter the lotto to get a photo op w/you, but I always miss out *womp womp*
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2022, 06:33:29 PM »
The rooms at HBF are a little smaller, and the rooms don't have fridges (at least, not last I checked). Sometimes you can request a fridge. MMM rooms have 'beverage cooler' fridges (meaning not as cold as a real fridge).

They renovated MMM over the break and told us at CCSE that they don't allow rollaways in the regular rooms any longer.

HBF has an AWESOME view of the Hall H lawn. I never pay for views at any other hotel, but this one is worth it. It's also super convenient if you are spending a lot of time in Hall H, at the PetCo Park offsites, or in the Indigo ballroom. MMM has the least amount of time walking 'outdoors' if you are trying to stay inside (exit at Hall A and go around the corner).

Ultimately, NCDS is right... you let your hotel loyalty points/status make your decision for you. ;)

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2022, 09:07:19 PM »
Thanks everyone!

And Jun I remember those MMM fridges! I didn't realize that was not a full cooling fridge for all units, just thought ours was partly defective that time  ;D

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2022, 09:41:24 PM »
Thanks everyone!

And Jun I remember those MMM fridges! I didn't realize that was not a full cooling fridge for all units, just thought ours was partly defective that time  ;D

I think you can get a real fridge if you request one (for example, if you have milk or meds or other things that need to remain cold) but they might charge you. The 'beverage coolers' only go down to about 40F, IIRC.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 10:10:33 AM »
I think you can get a real fridge if you request one (for example, if you have milk or meds or other things that need to remain cold) but they might charge you. The 'beverage coolers' only go down to about 40F, IIRC.

The Hilton put those coolers in and they will no longer provide fridges for medication.  If your medication needs to be colder you have to bring it to them to store. This to me is the stupidest thing I have even heard, but it's what they made my friend do with their medication.

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2022, 11:05:12 AM »
Never stayed in the Bayfront, but I did stay in the MMM back in 2017 and I only have good things to say about it. The rooms were great, and the staff was really friendly (side note: I don’t know what it is, maybe they pump something through the vents, but the lobby there smells amazing).

One small caveat though, if you think you’re going to be doing a lot of Hall H stuff or waiting in line overnight, definitely try for the Bayfront. Not just for view, but also because the walk from the MMM to the southernmost parts of the Convention Center is wayyyyy longer than you think it would be, especially during high traffic times when the sidewalk is full.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2022, 05:30:25 PM »
Never stayed in the Bayfront, but I did stay in the MMM back in 2017 and I only have good things to say about it. The rooms were great, and the staff was really friendly (side note: I don’t know what it is, maybe they pump something through the vents, but the lobby there smells amazing).

One small caveat though, if you think you’re going to be doing a lot of Hall H stuff or waiting in line overnight, definitely try for the Bayfront. Not just for view, but also because the walk from the MMM to the southernmost parts of the Convention Center is wayyyyy longer than you think it would be, especially during high traffic times when the sidewalk is full.

Last con they actually had the line in the middle of the convention center until they moved it to the tents.  So for most of the time, it was about equal.  The city won't let them line up by the bayfront anymore. 

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2022, 05:31:43 PM »

The trick is to exit from the back of the MMM and walk down the marina.  Plus the Hall H line is probably down there anyway.
I’ve done MMM there times, HBF once, and Hard Rock once, and MMM is by far my favorite.