Author Topic: Renting a condo or AirBNB for SDCC? (Post advice or questions here!)  (Read 36985 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Trying AirBNB this year instead of a hotel
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 01:16:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for heads up. I talked to a few owners and made sure to let them know it was for comic con which is why they jacked up their prices as they did not realize it was that week. The one I got I was able to negotiate him down to a more reasonable rates for the event week. So he is well aware!  Hopefully he doesn't cancel last minute that would be a nightmare.

Sounds like you did it right! Yeah the problem if they don't realize it's SDCC is that when they figure it out, they may cancel on you and try to rent it out for more $$$, or try to negotiate with you for more $$$. If they know up front, then they're much less likely to do either of those things.

Offline perilla

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 09:28:54 PM »
Congratulations! The advice that everyone has given is completely accurate; I was one of those unfortunate souls who booked an AirBnB last year and while the owner had already increased their prices for comic con (and I made them aware that that was my reason for staying) they cancelled on me and asked me again for more money.

Because of that I would be very careful of booking a place so early, even if the person has already increased their price! I would also suggest checking in with the owner every so often, as they may plan on being out of town closer to when the date arrives. That was another unfortunate mishap that happened to me with another listing I tried to book which left me searching for a place two weeks before the con.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 11:59:04 AM »
I stayed at an air BnB 2 years ago, worked great for a family of 6.  Last year was a smaller group so we went back to staying at a hotel.
Love the closeness of hotels....but if you have a big group it's hard to say no to some of the Air BnB deals.

Offline battlestar81

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 10:30:32 AM »
Congratulations! The advice that everyone has given is completely accurate; I was one of those unfortunate souls who booked an AirBnB last year and while the owner had already increased their prices for comic con (and I made them aware that that was my reason for staying) they cancelled on me and asked me again for more money.

Because of that I would be very careful of booking a place so early, even if the person has already increased their price! I would also suggest checking in with the owner every so often, as they may plan on being out of town closer to when the date arrives. That was another unfortunate mishap that happened to me with another listing I tried to book which left me searching for a place two weeks before the con.

I hope the host doesn't cancel and try and re-negotiate since he already knows we are there for the Con as it would leave the 6 of us homeless! Goal here is to give my fiancee LESS stress lol. Plus one of the ways I talked her into going to the con so close to the wedding haha.

Offline lolaswill

• Exhibit Hall
  • =) Feel free to PM me
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 01:00:30 AM »
I've stayed at an AirBnB twice. But you guys are right, many, many owners I contacted retracted their reservation to jack up the price when I mentioned I was going for ComicCon. I promptly reported them. That being said, I really didn't like my experiences with AirBnB. The owners charge a cleaning fee, but clearly no professional cleaners were there and we had to launder our the sheets before we left. Another time was an amazing downtown loft, and we broke a household decoration that was sitting on a window sill. I understand it was our fault, but the owner wanted $100 for a chachki and to pay her via paypal and not through airbnb. Shady

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: Thinking of renting a condo for SDCC? (Post your advice here!)
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 01:14:50 PM »
Where we stayed last year, it worked out pretty well as we were close to both a shuttle route stop and also the light rail.

Offline mrha7

• Freebie Table
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »
If anyone is thinking about rentals, they should start looking now. Which in reality is really late. Most condos are booked by now. I used airbnb two years ago and it was way more expensive then any hotel downtown.  In fact we only rented one so we wouldn't have to go through hotel apocalypse. It was nice but waaayyyy too expensive.

Offline mrha7

• Freebie Table
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »
Agree with all of the above. Once the owners know you are there for sdcc they jack up the prices big time. Totally not cool but they know we'll pay those prices for a guarantee place to stay.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 01:42:06 PM »
Forum Housekeeping:
Since these two threads are basically on the same topic, with discussion with a few fellow moderators, we've agreed that it would be less confusing to merge them together.  (Because the posts in each thread are far enough apart, this merge will not disrupt the natural flow of conversation.  ^__~)

Hopefully this will help people find what they're looking for and get the advice they need.

------

Merged the "Trying AirBNB this year instead of a hotel" and "Thinking of renting a condo for SDCC? (Post your advice here!)" threads together.

Renamed "Thinking of renting a condo for SDCC? (Post your advice here!)" to "Renting a condo or AirBNB for SDCC? (Post advice or questions here!)" to clarify the subject heading.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:45:00 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Question regarding downtown room for rent
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 06:23:54 PM »
A co-worker of my wife lives in downtown, a short walking distance from the Convention center.  They are looking to rent out either a room, or their entire condo for Comic-Con.  They've never done this before, and unfortunately refuse to let me use the condo for free, even for a few days  :P

A few questions:

* what's the going rate for a room-for-rent downtown?
* what's the going rate for a condo-for-rent downtown?
* how long is the ideal rental time-span: Wed - Sun? Tuesday-Monday?  A few Monday-Monday week?

While I have unfortunately not known anyone willing to let me use their condo downtown for free, I am fortunate enough to live in San Diego and have never participated or looked into getting a place for Comic-Con.  I'm just wondering on thoughts from out-of-towners on this.

Thanks

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
Re: Question regarding downtown room for rent
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 06:49:34 PM »
A co-worker of my wife lives in downtown, a short walking distance from the Convention center.  They are looking to rent out either a room, or their entire condo for Comic-Con.  They've never done this before, and unfortunately refuse to let me use the condo for free, even for a few days  :P

A few questions:

* how long is the ideal rental time-span: Wed - Sun? Tuesday-Monday?  A few Monday-Monday week?

While I have unfortunately not known anyone willing to let me use their condo downtown for free, I am fortunate enough to live in San Diego and have never participated or looked into getting a place for Comic-Con.  I'm just wondering on thoughts from out-of-towners on this.

Thanks

Forum Housekeeping:

Merged this new thread with our already established thread on "Renting a condo or AirBNB for SDCC? (Post advice or questions here!)."  Hopefully this will help get some more answers and replies to the questions asked.

^__^d
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »
Forum Housekeeping:

Merged this new thread with our already established thread on "Renting a condo or AirBNB for SDCC? (Post advice or questions here!)."  Hopefully this will help get some more answers and replies to the questions asked.

^__^d
Thanks; I saw this thread not long after I posted and was trying to find my post to delete/move.  I swear I'm not regularly this hard to clean up after  :P

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
Re: Renting a condo or AirBNB for SDCC? (Post advice or questions here!)
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 07:05:08 PM »
Thanks; I saw this thread not long after I posted and was trying to find my post to delete/move.  I swear I'm not regularly this hard to clean up after  :P

Regular forum members can't merge or move threads on their own.  (Only designated moderators for that forum, global moderators, or administrators can.)

Sure... Ha ha.  ;p

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 07:34:30 PM »

A few questions:

Thanks

On your first note, I hear you. Our former neighbors are an elderly couple who now live in an apartment a few blocks from SDCC, want nothing to do with SDCC and complain about it every year, have a son and grandkids in Australia that they could visit, have had us housesit before when we were neighbors, BUT STILL HAVEN'T REALIZED THE OBVIOUS SOLUTION TO THE WHOLE THING.

Sorry, I feel better now.

On the actual question, prices will be all over the map and their best source of research would be airbnb and vrbo I think. But expect it to take a while to sift through it all. It sounds like the location is great but the price will depend a lot on capacity and amenities, (parking, AC, etc.) Also keep in mind that people in the gaslamp will typically raise prices during SDCC, plus people that have more reasonable rates may already have booked. You should still be able to get a good read by looking at dates outside of SDCC and comparing the differences.

A more devilish approach might be to call up some of those management companies you come across, say you are trying to decide if it would be a good financial idea to start renting the place and see if they can give a rough estimate to help with the decision >:D

Time range is trickier, we have always done at least a week with airbnb but part of the reason is that the places we have stayed have offered a discount for a week's stay.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
Re: Renting a condo or AirBNB for SDCC? (Post advice or questions here!)
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 06:51:02 AM »
Have now booked 3 different Air BnBs for SDCC this year...all have been cancelled a few weeks after booking for various reasons....blah.