Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Now DC Studio heads James Gunn & Peter Safran have released their upcoming slate:
MOVIES
* Superman: Legacy, July 11, 2025 - the only project with a release date announced.  Gunn said they won't set a release date until the script is ready, and if the script is ready he's fine pushing-back a release. 
“It focuses on Superman balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing,”
Safran said.
“He is the embodiment of truth, justice and the American way. He is kindness in a world that thinks of kindness as old-fashioned.”
  Gunn is writing the project, and Safran said he hopes Gunn
“can be persuaded, perhaps, to direct it as well.”
* The Authority - Superman: Legacy will lead directly into “The Authority,” an ensemble movie about superhumans who have a less-than-idealistic approach to saving the world; the characters come from Wildstorm
* The Brave and the Bold - this movie introduces the DC continuity Batman, along with the DCMU 'Bat family,' including Damian Wayne/Robin.
* Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow - as Gunn said,
“We see the difference between Superman, who was sent to Earth and raised by loving parents from the time he’s an infant, versus Supergirl, who was raised on a rock chip off of Krypton, and watched everyone around her die and be killed in terrible ways for the first 14 years of her life.”
* Swamp Thing - interesting one to me, but I loved the original Wes Craven film and look forward to a modernized version (I never saw the more recent streaming series).  Gunn referenced the initial reactions to the Guardians of the Galaxy joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe and initial questions about how Rocket Raccoon would work standing next to Thor. “That mashup quality” wound up being one of the highlights of “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Avengers: Endgame,” Gunn argued.  “This is a much more horrific film, but we’ll still have Swamp Thing interact with the other characters,” he added.  I personally _LOVED_ the recent Marvel/Disney+ Werewolf By Night, and look forward to Gunn bringing a bit of the horror element to DC!

TV SERIES (not necessarily HBO Max - could be any other streaming service, depending...)
* Creature Commandos - animated, and the first series green-lit.  The Creature Commando characters were first launched in 1980. The premise features Frankenstein’s monster teaming up with a werewolf, a vampire and a gorgon to fight Nazis in World War II. It doesn’t appear that Gunn’s version takes quite the same approach — Weasel, one of the characters from Gunn’s 2021 film “The Suicide Squad,” is one of the Commandos, along with Rick Flag’s father, Rick Flag Sr.
* Waller - fascinating to me (though not a bad thing in the least) that Viola Davis' character is 'surviving' the change-over.  BUT, this also means Peacemaker s2 has been put on hold (w/Gunn focused on Superman: Legacy), though 'Team Peacemaker' will be in this series which is awesome!  Both “Creature Commandos” and “Waller” are expected to debut before “Superman: Legacy”; Safran called them the “aperitif” for the DCU.
* Lanterns - Safran and Gunn seemed most excited for “Lanterns,” which Safran described as “a huge HBO-quality event” that is “very much in the vein of ‘True Detective.'” ( :o ).  The show will focus on two of the best known members of the Green Lantern corps: Hal Jordan & John Stewart, who investigate a mystery that Safran said “plays a really big role leading us into the main story that we’re telling across our film and television.”
* Paradise Lost - This “‘Game of Thrones’-ish story,” Safran said, is set on the island of Themyscira before the birth of Diana.  “It’s really about the political intrigue behind a society of all women,” Safran said.
* Booster Gold - In the 25th century, Mike Carter is a disgraced former football star who uses a time machine on display in the Metropolis Space Museum.  Added Gunn, “Basically, ‘Booster Gold’ is imposter syndrome as a superhero.”  Safran called Booster “a loser from the future who uses basic future technology to come back to today and pretend to be a superhero.”  Color me really excited for this one, a legit DC comedy!

Gunn also referenced a 'DC Elseworlds,' which would include a sequel(s) to The Batman, as well as The Joker sequel; he also referenced possibilities of The Flash or Aquaman continuations in the same 'breath' as Elseworlds, so fans of the old Justice League may not be out of luck just yet
CCI General Discussion / Re: Are you attending SDCC 2023?
« Last post by perc2100 on Today at 11:32:07 AM »
Haven't missed an SDCC since my first one in 2000, and I'm looking forward to this summer!  I have a blast attending w/my family, meeting up with old friends from all-over that I only see during Comic-Con, and I'm looking forward to all the fun stuff that's also wildly unpredictable   :P
Movies and TV Shows / Re: Last of US HBO
« Last post by perc2100 on Today at 10:17:47 AM »
Holy cow did Episode 3 hit it out of the park: what an incredible 80ish mins of television!!!  It feels bold of the creatives to spend the bulk of an episode on two side-characters, heretofore mostly unknown to us.  While most folks would approach "Joel needs a vehicle" with minimal efforts, here we get massive backstory on Joel (and Tess)'s scavenging partner.  While I had a slight understanding of how things would turn out for Bill & Frank, I wasn't quite prepared for the creatives to decide "how about an entire episode of the beginning sequence of UP?" 
I'm a fan of Nick Offerman, and he was out-freaking-standing here: as was his partner, Murray Bartlett.  They really did make a cute couple, and
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I thought this episode was incredibly satisfying: a top-tier television episode!

A couple of really quick side-notes:
* this was NOT a bottle-neck episode, as some online have proclaimed: a bottle-neck episode is when a studio/network decide to save money and include an entire episode (or season, coughWalkingDeadFarmcough) in one location.  This is a dopey nitpick (kind of?!) on my part, I know, but I feel it needs to be said :-P
* based on the game, if this episode emotionally wrecked you, as it seemed to wreck MANY online, brace yourselves for Sam: likely in the next few weeks, depending on how long the creatives draw out the Pittsburgh stuff
* there was a bit of fun via the show-obviously-filmed-in-Canada making proclamations like "10 miles west of Boston," but who cares, am I right?!  There's a long history of quality TV series or films (and even more not-so-quality) that take place in one city but are obviously filmed elsewhere.  I have no down MA residents got a lol at that card, and even I (a SoCA resident from OH) chuckled at that, but whatareyagonnado.  :P
Movies and TV Shows / Re: 2023 Best Picture Oscar Nominees
« Last post by perc2100 on Today at 10:02:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We already have our tickets! 

Though I will say I am out of the dog house, my Aunt had time to process it and thinks it's an important film, though she still adds depressing at the end of her description.
Ha; glad you're out of trouble!  I used to constantly get in trouble w/my wife when we were dating/first married due to our radically different tastes/opinions of movies (it all started in 1996, on a date, when I legit though SCREAM was a flat-out comedy and not an actual slasher movie  :-X ).  I def. can see where one would feel...conflicted...about WHALE, and understand a descriptor of "depressing"  :P
« Last post by Berts on Today at 07:46:27 AM »
Nothing lasts forever and I know there will be a time when either SDCC changes beyond recognition, or my interest wanes... but it hasn't happened yet and I don't foresee it happening any time soon. I've been going for almost 15 years now and I'm so hooked. I absolutely love it. Some of the absolute best memories of my life and happiest and most fun moments with my wife (and now my mom and cousin) have been at Comic-Con. SDCC and spring training for baseball are the only two permanent trips in my yearly trip itinerary. As soon as the exhibit hall closes on Sunday, I start looking forward to next year and when the new year rolls around, I really get into SDCC mode. I try to do and see as much as I possibly can each year and I still feel like I haven't done even half of what SDCC has to offer. I love every minute of it.

The only feeling that I've been able to identify that's similar to how I feel about SDCC is when I was a kid and December 1st hit. Then it was maximum Christmas anticipation and each day felt longer than the previous one until the 25th. That's how I start to feel in January about SDCC.
Another panel that caught my eye is "Bringing “Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities” to Life through VFX", which features staff from the actual studio who worked on the series. Too bad it's at the same time as Twisted Toonz, but better to have to make choices than have no choices.

Update: The VFX panel got moved to 11, so no more conflict! (Unless they move it again :P )
« Last post by Andrew Costa Mesa on Yesterday at 08:49:00 PM »
I have my badge for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I’m skipping Thursday because the week before I will be in London for the women’s and men’s singles championships of the Wimbledon tennis match and won’t be back in the States until the Tuesday before the Con.  Two things I will do differently this year is participate in the hotel apocalypse instead of Ace Parking and will do either Friday OR Saturday Hall H panel.  I will not do both days.  Last year I made a last second hotel reservation that was an hour drive from the site and was foolish into thinking I can deprive myself of sleep for two consecutive days in trying to do both Friday and Saturday.  I almost collapsed and almost let down my fellow line mates.  I live and learn from my mistakes.  This year I’ll only do one day of Hall H.  Plus I should be in a hotel in vicinity of the convention center and not 30 miles away like last year.  And I won’t be doing Friday and Saturday this year.
Off-Topic Chat / Re: In Memoriam
« Last post by Old Man Grey on Yesterday at 06:26:23 PM »
She was at Wondercon for Picard last year, on a panel with the makeup artists who transformed her into the Borg queen. She was really lovely and funny and warm. It's so sad knowing she was already sick then, and still out there giving it her all.
Thats where I saw her. I remember now that panel was one of the best things at WonderCon last year.
SDCC Housing, Parking, and Transportation / Re: SDCC 2023 Hotel Discussion
« Last post by pkthecat on Yesterday at 05:49:53 PM »
I say second Thursday after Wondercon
« Last post by sessionka on Yesterday at 04:52:11 PM »
What is this thing you call 'budget' for SDCC?  ;D

"A budget is a spending plan based on income and expenses. In other words, it's an estimate of how much money you'll make and spend over a certain period of time, such as a month or year. "

Come on.  Everyone who goes to Comic Con has one of those.  right.   :)

One Year, I met a woman who COMES FROM AUSTRALIA, at the FOCC breakfast.  She showed me her budget.  I was very impressed.

I was blessed to get a Christmas bonus last year.  When my boss told me, I added, "well Comic Con is covered".  He added, "Maybe we should just make the check out to Comic Con".   :).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10