Author Topic: NYCC Vax status required  (Read 4768 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
NYCC Vax status required
« on: August 17, 2021, 08:54:00 AM »
Requiring vax
Any idea how they're going to verify?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 09:30:42 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
Re: NYCc Vax status required
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 10:53:22 AM »
There are 2 apps that they announced:
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: NYCC Vax status required
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:43:14 AM »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 01:51:43 PM »
I just downloaded the NYC Covid Safe app on my phone.  It just lets you add your photo ID and a copy of your vaccination card.  It doesn't verify anything.  There's a 3rd area to add test results, if needed.  It's basically a wallet for the photos.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 07:30:03 PM »
Didn't they put us all in a national database when we got them?  I feel like there should be one federal app.

Maybe they can just scan the microchip in my arm?
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 07:47:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Didn't they put us all in a national database when we got them?  I feel like there should be one federal app.

It's all at the state level. When Ohio did their Vax-A-Million, if the winners had received the vaccine in Ohio, they could just check Ohio health records (and when entering you gave permission for them to access that record), but if the winners had been vaccinated out of state they had to provide proof (not sure we had any winners that applied to, though).

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 07:48:31 PM »
It's all at the state level. When Ohio did their Vax-A-Million, if the winners had received the vaccine in Ohio, they could just check Ohio health records (and when entering you gave permission for them to access that record), but if the winners had been vaccinated out of state they had to provide proof (not sure we had any winners that applied to, though).

Gotcha, I figured they didn't give it to me for free without recording it somewhere. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 08:45:55 AM »
Arizona Department of Health has a website where you can get a copy of your vaccination record.  It goes back to 2009 flu shots for us.  It has dates of shots but not the other info like manufacturer and lot number.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 09:44:17 AM »
Arizona Department of Health has a website where you can get a copy of your vaccination record.  It goes back to 2009 flu shots for us.  It has dates of shots but not the other info like manufacturer and lot number.

Your vaccinations should be part of your medical record.  Well most of them anyways.  It really depends on whether they had enough PII on you.  The vaccinations I got overseas aren't part of mine.  Similarly, the vaccinations we got at the big vaccination sites may not be.  Some sites required the same information as if you visited a doctor, others did not.  The site where my parents got vaccinated at was run by a large healthcare provider.  They required you to sign up for an account including SSN like any other patient.  My policy is to refuse to give a SSN at a doctor, they don't need it, but since the field was mandatory and this program is government funded I thought we had to.  It was later that they said that you could enter in all 0's if you wanted to stay private.  My parents' accounts with their real SSNs are populated with every vaccination they've gotten back to the '50s from their medical records.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 10:00:14 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 08:28:56 PM »
Your vaccinations should be part of your medical record.  Well most of them anyways.  It really depends on whether they had enough PII on you.  The vaccinations I got overseas aren't part of mine.  Similarly, the vaccinations we got at the big vaccination sites may not be.  Some sites required the same information as if you visited a doctor, others did not.  The site where my parents got vaccinated at was run by a large healthcare provider.  They required you to sign up for an account including SSN like any other patient.  My policy is to refuse to give a SSN at a doctor, they don't need it, but since the field was mandatory and this program is government funded I thought we had to.  It was later that they said that you could enter in all 0's if you wanted to stay private.  My parents' accounts with their real SSNs are populated with every vaccination they've gotten back to the '50s from their medical records.

Yeh I've gotten the flu vaccine every year but they aren't all on there.  I've done different things to get the shot -- my own doctor's office, CVS, and a local vaccine clinic.  I can't remember which year is which but some don't update.  My husband gets his at his office event and they aren't on there.  We got the TDAP (I think, it was for a relative with premie babies we were visiting) and it isn't on there.  But the Moderna is there so I'm keeping a screenshot on my phone as proof.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 07:21:59 AM »
I have the excelsior pass, which is a QR code. 

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 01:20:29 PM »
I have the excelsior pass, which is a QR code.

Something like that would be so much better.  It's what other countries have done.  I don't know why there is so much resistance to it in the US.  It should be done at a national level so that it's accepted in each state as well as internationally.  Right now, every state is at best doing it's own thing.  At worst, not doing anything at all.

A digital vaccine passport even addresses some privacy concerns.  Some people say they don't want to give out their vaccination status.  That can be obscured.  The way these systems work in other countries is that it doesn't reveal details like that.  You scan a QR code at a business.  The app on your phone shows green or red.  It doesn't say why.  It's a go or no go.  It could be because you are fully vaccinated or recently tested negative or recently recovered from covid.  All of which should make you safe enough to enter.

Even if we are unwilling at the Federal level, I hope that a coalition of willing states can come together and have a common system.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 01:24:02 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 07:35:14 AM »
If you're able to go get your vax wristband early, I recommend doing so! I went this morning on my way into work and it took like 30 seconds because there was no one else there.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 07:38:41 AM »
If you're able to go get your vax wristband early, I recommend doing so! I went this morning on my way into work and it took like 30 seconds because there was no one else there.

I'm planning to go this afternoon, hope it's not too crowded!

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 08:47:53 AM »
I'm going this afternoon. After work. I should be in the city no later than 5. Hope to beat the traffic.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 09:03:19 AM »

Jamie, how did the process work? Was it just 'flash your card and ID' or were they taking photos and name,s matching to your badge in their system, etc. ? I'm trying to get an idea of how long the process might take when the line is long.