Author Topic: Anyone thinking of not going now because of new COVID variant?  (Read 7088 times)

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
This is currently my thought process right now especially with the meningitis like symptoms and after effects that a lot of people are experiencing. I had bronchitis and an URI this past winter (tested negative three times). That was terrible in itself. I was open to going a couple of months ago, because cases were relatively low and at least the SoCal people are still generally cautious. However, cases are on the rise, and there are people coming from EVERYWHERE including states and countries that don't mask very much. I'm in Amsterdam right now on my 5th day and have probably seen 4 people total who were masked despite cases rising here.

This isn't a mask, or a vax debate. I wear one. It can only protect you at a certain point because of varying factors. I'm fully vaxxed. However, especially seeing how little enforcement was going on at Wondercon, that's going to be nearly impossible to do with over 100,000 people. Security does not get paid nearly enough to engage with potentially volatile people. I just want to know if anyone is feeling the same way at this time. The only $$$ I'll be out of currently is my hotel with I'm splitting with a couple of other people, and then I'll have flight credit from Delta. As a frequent flier it will get used before the end of the year.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Anyone thinking of not going now because of new COVID variant?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 01:38:46 AM »
Actually, I am.  You aren't alone.  Since I'm local, I'm going to proceed right now as if I'm going like normal.  I have that luxury.  I have no hotel or flight to cancel.  I can just not go at the last minute.  The most likely thing I think I'll do at this point is do the offsites that I feel comfortable doing, those that are outside, and make a quick pass through the convention center for old times sake.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 01:48:56 AM by chocolateshake »

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 03:39:35 AM »
I like that plan. I live in LA, but I always get a hotel because commuting everyday seems like too much of a chore. I ended up not getting my badge after all because i was so on the fence and can help my friend out at his booth for a day badge. The least I would do is something akin to your plan.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 04:05:15 AM »
I’m definitely worried about it, but at this point I’m fully committed with hotels and flights. Usually I get a ride from the airport from my parents after my trip, but I’ve arranged for other transportation so I don’t expose them. They’re taking care of my dogs, so I’ve just asked them to drop the dogs in my backyard once I’m home so we don’t interact.

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 05:16:07 AM »
I'm still going to go but I'm definitely now limiting what I do inside. Transmission risks are much lower outside and the weather forecast as of now looks like it's going to be very nice outside anyway.

People watching is one of the best aspects of con to me anyway :)

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 06:20:45 AM »
Since I'm coming from the East Coast, I can't back out now. Too much money spent. I'll just do everything I can to keep myself safe.

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 07:42:33 AM »
Take zinc everyday and vitamin D :)

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 07:57:16 AM »
So glad there are such a limit on things I want this year. No lego,hasbro,Mattel , so so panel beside hall H, no WB auto.I can take it easy and not have to be exposed to people for multiple hours.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 08:23:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Take zinc everyday and vitamin D :)

Agreed. Boost your immune system.

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 08:51:59 AM »
This is currently my thought process right now especially with the meningitis like symptoms and after effects that a lot of people are experiencing. I had bronchitis and an URI this past winter (tested negative three times). That was terrible in itself. I was open to going a couple of months ago, because cases were relatively low and at least the SoCal people are still generally cautious. However, cases are on the rise, and there are people coming from EVERYWHERE including states and countries that don't mask very much. I'm in Amsterdam right now on my 5th day and have probably seen 4 people total who were masked despite cases rising here.

This isn't a mask, or a vax debate. I wear one. It can only protect you at a certain point because of varying factors. I'm fully vaxxed. However, especially seeing how little enforcement was going on at Wondercon, that's going to be nearly impossible to do with over 100,000 people. Security does not get paid nearly enough to engage with potentially volatile people. I just want to know if anyone is feeling the same way at this time. The only $$$ I'll be out of currently is my hotel with I'm splitting with a couple of other people, and then I'll have flight credit from Delta. As a frequent flier it will get used before the end of the year.

If you are in a room longer than 27 minutes wearing a cloth mask, assume you have no protection.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 09:27:09 AM »
I had covid in April. I am only hoping it was the current variant
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 11:00:37 AM »
I had covid in April. I am only hoping it was the current variant

Unfortunately probably not.  BA.5 was just getting on the radar as something we might worry about back then.  Now it's the dominant variant.  BA.5 has substantially more immune evasion than BA.2 which was dominate back then.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 11:05:09 AM »
Unfortunately probably not.  BA.5 was just getting on the radar as something we might worry about back then.  Now it's the dominant variant.  BA.5 has substantially more immune evasion than BA.2 which was dominate back then.
I thought as much.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Eric_Draven66

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 11:43:53 AM »
theres always going to be diffrent veriants. its just like the flu, every year its diffrent. If your vax and take steps to protecting yourself then thats all you can do. I wont let it keep me from doing things i always do.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 12:25:09 PM »
Yea, its definitely a tough choice. I am staying with my Mom and we have arranged that I will avoid her for the time during and a few days after con. This normally happens anyways since I leave so early and arrive so late each day. And usually after the con, I'm busy organizing and packing all my stuff. I am brining tests too so I can check before and after.

I took the same risk for Coachella but that event had no mandates of any kind (they had a vaccine and mask mandate, but dropped it about 2 months out). So of course I caught it and it sucked. Strangely, in our group of 25 campers, I was the only one to get it.

If you do decide not to go, its your choice and you shouldn't feel bad or anything. Everyone needs to make decisions based on their circumstances and what they deem is appropriate risk assessment. Based on previous years, many things will be different, there seem to be fewer "big" panels, there are fewer signings by big stars and fewer must have collectible exclusives (in my opinion). That, along with a few reduced quality of life things at the con (possible no carpet, no paper programs probably, etc), could make your decision easier. No fun in having a vacation if in the back of your mind you are constantly worrying about your health.