Author Topic: Sunday Dinner Feedback Thread  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Sunday Dinner Feedback Thread
« on: July 25, 2022, 06:14:20 AM »
As we all know, this was a transition year in many ways. I was forced to find a new location for our dinner. Unfortunately, this was not an easy task, since most places want me to have a pre-set dinner menu with minimal choices (for $60-$100 per person). We ended up at Basic Pizza, which required us to order and pay for the food in advance (but at least be able to offer everyone some food selection). This meant that we had to charge people in advance, which I know was a hurdle that prevented some people from attending. Frankly, I wasn’t happy with having to collect funds and put my credit card on the hook for the entire cost, so it wasn’t my preference either. But Basic was accommodating and helped us out when we needed a venue.

So I am planning on hosting a Sunday dinner next year, but I am not sold on doing it at Basic Pizza again. I have my own opinions about the place, but before posting them, I want to give everyone else a chance to respond. For those who attended the dinner, other than pre-paying up front, what did you like and dislike about the venue?

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Re: Sunday Dinner Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 11:36:56 AM »
I liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:35:00 PM »

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 12:27:10 PM »
I liked that the venue lent to more mingling while at harbor house people just ended up eating with their own individual groups instead of talking with new ones. What I didn't like is the low tables and seats made it hard to eat.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 12:28:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I liked that the venue lent to more mingling while at harbor house people just ended up eating with their own individual groups instead of talking with new ones. What I didn't like is the low tables and seats made it hard to eat.
Yes, the tables and chairs were uncomfortable. But pizza was delicious!

Online Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 01:11:48 PM »
As has just been said...the pizza was fantastic. The group area was really conducive to engaging w/all which was also cool.  And much like the above, Basic's pizza was a wee bit messy that requires utensils (unless you want really messy fingers). A minor thing, and small in the grand scheme of things, but if we're keeping track. Their variety of beers and bourbon selection that I saw was very good as well.  👍from me  ;D

Thanks again You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for always pulling together something that I'm going to call a staple of SDCC, the FoCC Sunday Dinner...it was great.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 03:34:51 PM »
I got there late and so the pizza was already cold.  My fault on this.  I got turned around on the directions and had to backtrack. 

So for me it was hit or miss on the pizza.  Some types of pizza, though cold, were just right for me while other type were really, really chewy.  The topping tasted good.

I liked the salad, but it pretty much had run out by the time I'd gotten there.  Again this is on me getting to basic pizza late.

So good job, despite the tough circumstances this year, TJ and Alyssa!  Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 11:44:55 PM »
Yes, the tables and chairs were uncomfortable. But pizza was delicious!

I second that.  At least the pizza, the salads and the Godiva chocolate were yummy!  I took some chocolate home to Mom, she liked it too.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 12:00:50 AM »
I really liked it…the Gaslamp location, setting and food worked for me, had a great time.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 06:16:22 AM »
Location was good for me, staying at the Omni. The staff was super nice. It did look like it was difficult to eat in that area, but we came in after 6, and it was filled up, so we ate at a table. The pizza was really good (if a bit difficult to get a single piece). The salad was nice too.

Thanks again to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for organizing the get together. It is a con tradition that I really look forward to.

(I do wish I had mingled a bit, but that's on me - the setting was conducive to it, I'm just a bonehead)
Ang

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 10:53:20 PM »
Thanks to TJ for organizing it this year, we had a blast getting to attend for the first time after years of leaving too early on Sunday.
Got to meet my fellow dark forum member (darkron9) which was fun  ;D We also had a good time meeting others and we had a good chat sitting beside Lori (sorry if I spelled your name wrong) and I don't remember your accompanying forum name.

I found Basic Pizza OK. I didn't like paying ahead of time, but the food itself was good, and I'll echo the problem of the too low seating area. We are certainly open to the idea of trying somewhere else if that is being considered.

What I kind of picture in my head is the large style tables which can accommodate a lot of people at a table and can have people going around to visit other tables. I never attending the previous place so I don't know what that was like.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 10:56:13 PM by darqamin »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 08:39:14 AM »
Thank you everyone for your feedback. It is much appreciated. I'm definitely going to be looking at other options for next year.

Personally, I really liked the lounge, because I felt that it made for better interaction. People weren't stuck at tables and were able to move around and talk to others. However, once the lounge area filled up, it was difficult for others to get in and it seemed to me that they were on the outskirts, so ultimately, the lounge wasn't big enough. I get that eating at tables is preferable, but I think the sacrifice there is the lack of interaction. 

While I wasn't thrilled with the work/responsibility of collecting the money in advance, I had 2 people tell me that they preferred it, because they didn't have to worry about splitting checks at the end of the night. But I think that the general consensus is that most people would prefer to 'pay as they go', and my persoal preference would be to not have to be on the hook for a huge food bill.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I had some cold pizza too. Since I spent the beginning of the event greeting people, I didn't get most of my food until toward the end. FWIW, the staff there seemed to be really conscious of the food table and were trying to bring out pizzas when the table emptied. Toward the end of the event, as people got full, the pizza stayed out longer, so they didn't bring out anything new, which is when it got cold. They did bring out some salads close to 7 pm though (I had told them that I wanted food served evenly/continuously between 6 pm and 7 pm). I started putting out the dessert at about 7:15.

I thought that the pizza was delicious and I really enjoyed being able to try all of the different kinds. The staff were very accommodating and tried their best to do what we asked of them.

Ultimately, while the food and service were good, the lounge area was too small for our needs, and people did not like eating off of coffee tables.

Any other comments or observations that people would like to make?

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 09:21:04 AM »
Next year, I’m either coming early or leaving late, because I want to connect with you people!!!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 09:35:04 AM »
perhaps if we could get the corner space (in Basic) away from the main bar, that might help in terms of space.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5