Author Topic: SDCC 2016 Hotel Discussion, July 21st to July 24th  (Read 421899 times)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
Re: Re: SDCC 2016 Hotel Request Form Lottery - Submission Times
« Reply #1860 on: April 05, 2016, 03:03:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Because part of what I do is over analyze everything, here is no exception.  onPeak stated they are only accepting one request per attendee.  So, the way I interpret that is the person entered at the top of the form with the contact information is the "attendee" making the request.  That said, the occupants are not making the request.  If you have three attendees in a room, each of them could submit a form once mixing up the occupants.  That comes from basic contract language.

If you really want to get into the weeds.  We should ask onPeak what are they doing to validate the "attendee" status of people submitting the forms.  Hmmmm!  Just like my earlier statements about CCI claiming to negotiate 62K room nights for Comic Con attendees, these folks should stop using that word "attendee" if they continue to open this to the non-badge holder public.

Agree on the "attendee" word choice, it's both incorrect and annoying.

As for the same-occupants-different-order question, I agree that your interpretation is what they're saying. It has not in the past been true of what they actually do. I've been flagged in the past for separate requests with the same occupant names, requested by different occupants. Their criteria for a "duplicate submission" has never been clarified.

I understand they try to weed out duplicates to give more people a chance at a room, but honestly if they just restricted it to badge holders and/or linked each submission to a member ID, they'd have thousands less duplicates in the first place, so maybe they should start there.

Offline Count Blah

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 21
Re: SDCC 2016 Hotel Discussion, July 21st to July 24th
« Reply #1861 on: April 05, 2016, 03:23:19 PM »
Wow you guys are analyzing the crap out of this.  Here's the deal according to the OnPeak source I have:

1) If you enter your name and a guests name, and the guest enters their name and your name as their guest that could be flagged as a duplicate.
2) The time stamp is when you are given access to the form.  If you made a mistake or failed to answer something you couldn't submit until you fixed the issue.
3) The comment about random order upon completing the form had to do with people who submitted at the same time. 
4) And this is my opinion, but if you got your submission shortly before the NO MORE DOWNTOWN HOTELS message came up you probably got something.  Not your first choice necessarily, but something.

Now please, stop analyzing every word, or I'm going to prescribe a mild sedative for all of you.  It's completely out of your hands now, so relax and await word. 

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on friendsofcc.com.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Scott
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 03:35:23 PM by Count Blah »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1862 on: Today at 05:34:23 AM »

Offline Az_Rael

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #1862 on: April 05, 2016, 03:27:20 PM »
Previously, with TP, the person entered at the top of the form (name/email) got a profile.  If the same person submitted again under a different email (same name) that became the newest profile of the "attendee" , and cancelled the first profile, submitted earlier and the first hotel submission time.

It is very annoying that they appear to use only the name for the whole "duplicate" reservation thing (at least in the past thats what they did).   I have a very, very common name.   You would think that if they could see my same name on two forms with everything else different (address, email, phone number, etc) they would figure out we are not the same person.     I got notified after booking with OnPeak for Wondercon that I had a "duplicate" reservation and "which one did I want to cancel?".   Turned out it was someone else with my same name and literally everything else different, but they still thought we were duplicates.    LUCKILY they asked before they did anything, and I wrote back that we were not the same person (not sure if they contacted the other person too).   

It all worked out but I still think in the back of my head - what if they don't ask for SDCC and just assume?    And maybe I never get a hotel reservation email because they threw it out over a later form thinking it was a duplicate.   

It just seems so haphazard.      They should really go with Member IDs.   

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #1863 on: April 05, 2016, 03:29:53 PM »

2) The time stamp is when you click SUBMIT after filling out the form.  If you made a mistake or failed to answer something you couldn't submit until you fixed the issue.

Bad news: "To clarify: requests will be processed based on the timestamp of when you were given access to the form, not the time the form was submitted".

Offline Bako

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 130
« Reply #1864 on: April 05, 2016, 03:30:52 PM »
Previously, with TP, the person entered at the top of the form (name/email) got a profile.  If the same person submitted again under a different email (same name) that became the newest profile of the "attendee" , and cancelled the first profile, submitted earlier and the first hotel submission time.

I can sort of see that, but several on here have reported conflicting experience with mixing things up like that.  My theory was more about the relationship of Requester and Occupants.

How would a computer know if the next John Doe submitting a form was the same John Doe as the one who went previously, especially if he used a different email address and street address?

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #1865 on: April 05, 2016, 03:31:48 PM »
Wow you guys are analyzing the crap out of this.  Here's the deal according to the OnPeak source I have:
<snip>
2) The time stamp is when you click SUBMIT after filling out the form.  If you made a mistake or failed to answer something you couldn't submit until you fixed the issue.
<snip>

Now please, stop analyzing every word, or I'm going to prescribe a mild sedative for all of you.  It's completely out of your hands now, so relax and await word. 

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on friendsofcc.com.

Stay thirsty, my friends.
Scott

unfortunately, OnPeak is contradicting you <sigh>

To clarify: requests will be processed based on the timestamp of when you were given access to the form, not the time the form was submitted
posted to day a couple of mins ago
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline thebeardednerd

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #1866 on: April 05, 2016, 03:34:13 PM »
Bad news: "To clarify: requests will be processed based on the timestamp of when you were given access to the form, not the time the form was submitted".

Good news for me I got in as it opened

Offline Count Blah

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #1867 on: April 05, 2016, 03:36:19 PM »
SORRY!!  I went back and read his email and he said what TP said, that it was time stamped based on when you enter the room.  I misread the response. Sorry about that!  I edited my post.

I guess that means the speed with which you submitted the form didn't matter.  Oh well.

Offline Shadows

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #1868 on: April 05, 2016, 03:37:37 PM »
OMG this is such great news for us. My daughter was let in IMMEDIATELY at 9:00am - but it took us 5 minutes to fill out the form (me talking her through it over the phone). I thought this meant we would get nothing (or Mission Valley or something).

Earlier today I was bummed - but now I'm dancing on air...

Offline gobbieboom

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 50
« Reply #1869 on: April 05, 2016, 03:45:08 PM »
OMG this is such great news for us. My daughter was let in IMMEDIATELY at 9:00am - but it took us 5 minutes to fill out the form (me talking her through it over the phone). I thought this meant we would get nothing (or Mission Valley or something).

Earlier today I was bummed - but now I'm dancing on air...

Same. I got in very quickly, but my friend was immediate. It took her 2 minutes to do the form, while I got it done in 30 seconds, so we both ended up finishing right at the same time. I figured that would put us in a good position for something on our lists. But if it really is based on the timestamp of accessing the form, then my friend was REALLY lucky.

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #1870 on: April 05, 2016, 03:47:21 PM »
Hmm..I'm feeling a bit better now too as one person in my group was finished and posting on FB by 11:04 so that boosts up her time a bit. She was the earliest submission from our group.
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Offline quantumslip

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #1871 on: April 05, 2016, 03:49:48 PM »
Wow, what an experience today. Definitely different from the previous years. With so much miscommunication and clarification I'm glad that I didn't go "all in" on gaslamp/nearby hotels and instead spread it out a little bit (though all are still remaining in downtown). Hard to judge if I have a chance or not. I guess we'll see...

FWIW I got in 3 min 25 secs past the hour. Normally that would mean no go on downtown but with today's system it's hard to tell...

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #1872 on: April 05, 2016, 03:50:57 PM »
GEEZ I wish we could have been told that before we all rushed to submit. That's poor communication.

Offline jontargaryen

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #1873 on: April 05, 2016, 03:52:23 PM »
GEEZ I wish we could have been told that before we all rushed to submit. That's poor communication.

Seriously! Would have helped prevent some extreme anxiety.

Offline nelbel76

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #1874 on: April 05, 2016, 03:55:01 PM »
HAHA I basically blacked out filling out the form because I was so excited I got in so fast and felt so much pressure to fill everything out - I had autocomplete on for the name address etc. but messed up the hotels. I don't even know what I chose. FUN TIMES!