Author Topic: Post your questions about public transportation here  (Read 137567 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: best trolley stop coming from La Jolla
« Reply #330 on: July 18, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Staying in La jolla and plan to be dropped off at a trolley stop. What is the wisest stop to start my trip to the convention center and avoid traffic? Thanks.

I would say Morena or Gaslamp. You can also take a bus from La Jolla to Gaslamp.

Blue line is being extended up to UCSD. Hopefully by the time that's done, SDCC will still be in San Diego.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
Re: Best way to get from La Jolla to convention center
« Reply #331 on: July 18, 2017, 09:28:16 AM »
If you do take the trolley, when you're going back in the evening, use the Gaslamp station -- the trolley WILL fill up there, and sometimes they can't squeeze anyone else on at the Convention Center station.

Since you are taking green line, I would take a five minute stroll to the next stop before Gaslamp where the Green Line starts. Most people don't. It's completely empty when you get on there and you have your choice of seats. Then you can watch comfortably while people scramble for seats at Gaslamp.

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Post your questions about public transportation here
« Reply #332 on: Today at 05:47:09 PM »

Offline rk23

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #332 on: July 18, 2017, 09:54:18 AM »
Since you are taking green line, I would take a five minute stroll to the next stop before Gaslamp where the Green Line starts. Most people don't. It's completely empty when you get on there and you have your choice of seats. Then you can watch comfortably while people scramble for seats at Gaslamp.

I've always been a little nervous about walking to 12th/Imperial at night, but I guess there are enough con-goers around that it's not creepy?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #333 on: July 18, 2017, 09:57:55 AM »
I've always been a little nervous about walking to 12th/Imperial at night, but I guess there are enough con-goers around that it's not creepy?

Creepy yes. Dangerous no. At least there's a sign there now saying "green line". Before it felt like you were walking into the train yard. It also depends how late you go, it's right next to the parking lot where they have all that outdoor truck food miscellaneous stuff. It's where Adult Swim used to be. As long as that area is open, there are plenty of people about.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #334 on: July 18, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »
By the way, the "special" Comic-Con passes cost more than the every day regular passes. A dollar more for each pass. To get the regular prices, you do need a compass card which costs $2. If you have one from last year or you are a local resident with one, it doesn't make sense to get the Comic-Con passes unless you get the commemorative physical one. Using the phone app, there's just no point unless you need all 5 days. A regular 4 days pass + 1 extra day is the same cost as the 5 day comic-con pass.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #335 on: July 18, 2017, 10:24:29 PM »
By the way, the "special" Comic-Con passes cost more than the every day regular passes. A dollar more for each pass. To get the regular prices, you do need a compass card which costs $2. If you have one from last year or you are a local resident with one, it doesn't make sense to get the Comic-Con passes unless you get the commemorative physical one. Using the phone app, there's just no point unless you need all 5 days. A regular 4 days pass + 1 extra day is the same cost as the 5 day comic-con pass.
You are absolutely wrong. The passes are discounted. A 5-Day pass is $20. That is a $5 savings. 4-Day pass is $16, which is a $4 savings. 3-day pass is $13 so a $2 savings. 2-day is $10, which is the same price as 2 $5 day passes, but there is no surcharge for a Compass card on these passes either.

You really should make sure your information is correct before posting it as a fact. It's not helpful passing around bad info.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #336 on: July 18, 2017, 11:02:05 PM »
You are absolutely wrong. The passes are discounted. A 5-Day pass is $20. That is a $5 savings. 4-Day pass is $16, which is a $4 savings. 3-day pass is $13 so a $2 savings. 2-day is $10, which is the same price as 2 $5 day passes, but there is no surcharge for a Compass card on these passes either.

You really should make sure your information is correct before posting it as a fact. It's not helpful passing around bad info.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You are absolutely wrong. The passes aren't discounted. They cost more. The regular 4 day pass is $15. The regular 3 day pass is $12. The regular 2 day pass is $9. As I said in the post you quoted, the "special" comic-con passes are a dollar more. I already discussed the cost of the compass card. That's why I said if you already have a compass card from last year or are local with one, there is no reason pay more for the "special" comic-con passes.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #337 on: July 19, 2017, 05:19:45 AM »
You are absolutely wrong. The passes aren't discounted. They cost more. The regular 4 day pass is $15. The regular 3 day pass is $12. The regular 2 day pass is $9. As I said in the post you quoted, the "special" comic-con passes are a dollar more. I already discussed the cost of the compass card. That's why I said if you already have a compass card from last year or are local with one, there is no reason pay more for the "special" comic-con passes.

It is cheaper than buying day passes, which is what most people would do. Day passes are $5 per day. People like the commemorative pass as a souvenir and most people would need to purchase the compass card which costs $2, and puts the passes as more than the cool commemorative pass. Rarely is anyone here a local or person who already has a compass card. Which is why they are asking locals for help.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #338 on: July 19, 2017, 05:22:30 AM »
It is cheaper than buying day passes, which is what most people would do. Day passes are $5 per day. People like the commemorative pass as a souvenir and most people would need to purchase the compass card which costs $2, and puts the passes at $1 more than the cool commemorative pass. Rarely is anyone here a local or person who already has a compass card, which is why they are asking locals for help.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #339 on: July 19, 2017, 09:01:01 AM »
It is cheaper than buying day passes, which is what most people would do. Day passes are $5 per day. People like the commemorative pass as a souvenir and most people would need to purchase the compass card which costs $2, and puts the passes as more than the cool commemorative pass. Rarely is anyone here a local or person who already has a compass card. Which is why they are asking locals for help.

Day passes can be good for more days than just one day. Day passes good for multiple days are cheaper than 1 day passes period. Whether they be the cheaper regular multiple day passes or the more expensive "special" comic con passes. A comparable regular multiple day pass is cheaper than the "special" comic-con one.

As for the cost of the compass card or the "cool commemorative pass". I discussed all these things in my original post that you so emphatically said was wrong. It was right. Next time you might want to take your own advice.

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #340 on: August 18, 2017, 11:22:14 PM »
Has anyone taken the Amtrak out of SD late afternoon on the Monday after SDCC?
Just wondering how busy it is at 3/4pm.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #341 on: August 19, 2017, 01:07:55 PM »
Has anyone taken the Amtrak out of SD late afternoon on the Monday after SDCC?
Just wondering how busy it is at 3/4pm.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I know i saw line at the depot like saturday or sunday after the con cause i had to head home around 3 or 4 but cause all the craziness didnt live san diego on bus till like 5 or 6pm. i dont check time much but just guessing many tried to leave later after noon sunday then monday i guessing to avoid mon traffic for those who had to head back home before monday cause job and all.

Offline pyxidis

• Exhibit Hall
  • If anyone asks, say it fell from the sky.
  • Liked: 25
« Reply #342 on: March 29, 2018, 11:34:30 AM »
Does anyone know if parking at Qualcomm Stadium will still be free this year? Also, is it okay/safe to park there for 24 hours or for the length of con?
"We know a little about a lot of things, just enough to make us dangerous."
SDCC 07-13, 15, 16, 18-21, 22 | SDCC SE 21 | WC 12-23 | LC&E 12

Offline rk23

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #343 on: March 29, 2018, 11:54:38 AM »
Does anyone know if parking at Qualcomm Stadium will still be free this year? Also, is it okay/safe to park there for 24 hours or for the length of con?

They haven't announced anything, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't have Qualcomm parking again.  It's a reasonably safe lot, but it's not like there are attendants or anything. 

I could have sworn I saw a sign at Qualcomm saying the lot was closed during some wee hours of the night, but I can't find more information and it may not have applied during the con anyway.  The MTS site in general says cars may be ticketed/towed if they remain at a transit lot for over 24 hours. 

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #344 on: March 29, 2018, 12:02:01 PM »
They haven't announced anything, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't have Qualcomm parking again.  It's a reasonably safe lot, but it's not like there are attendants or anything. 

I could have sworn I saw a sign at Qualcomm saying the lot was closed during some wee hours of the night, but I can't find more information and it may not have applied during the con anyway.  The MTS site in general says cars may be ticketed/towed if they remain at a transit lot for over 24 hours.

Yea, i can see if u just wanted to park for the day but not over nite it be ok, but do check back for any updates. since not sure they have any secuirty for incase anyone does see traffic and no lot patrols any that anyone might try do something and those who own the lots and stadium which im guessing the city, that they not wann ab be responsibile for any damage to cars any. so check back later for updates and again i dont see why not for just the day before over nite incase u try party kinda all nite then they may have patrols check out at certain time ea day.