Author Topic: Post your questions about public transportation here  (Read 137487 times)

Offline Dpercy

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Re: Post your questions about public transportation here
« Reply #360 on: April 23, 2018, 06:53:30 PM »
Hi everyone!
This is my first post here so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong thread.
I booked the Four Points by Sheraton from the SDCC wait-list fiasco this morning, would anyone be able to tell me what the parking is like for that hotel? I saw that parking is $37 /day (valet is all they offer). Although, when I was looking on the satellite version of Google Maps, I saw no parking garage; mainly just street parking.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips! :)

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #361 on: April 23, 2018, 07:00:59 PM »
Hope this helps any with parking close to the convention center- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #362 on: Today at 07:41:01 AM »

Offline Sublime

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #362 on: April 24, 2018, 06:48:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't recall seeing them at the convention center but you can probably find some by walking to a nearby hotel. Which hotel are you at? If it's off of the shuttle route I've probably stayed there before.

Last year we were at the MGH, but we're at the del Coronado this year. I specifically picked it, because we were only able to get Thursday and Sunday badges. This way we'll get a mini-vacay on our badgeless days. I was also figuring that we could walk to a nearby hotel from the convention center to catch a taxi. Have you stayed at the del Coronado before?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #363 on: April 24, 2018, 07:09:46 AM »
Last year we were at the MGH, but we're at the del Coronado this year. I specifically picked it, because we were only able to get Thursday and Sunday badges. This way we'll get a mini-vacay on our badgeless days. I was also figuring that we could walk to a nearby hotel from the convention center to catch a taxi. Have you stayed at the del Coronado before?

We haven't stayed at the Del for sdcc specifically but I have stayed there several times for vacation and conferences. It's a beautiful hotel with an amazing beach. My wife and daughter only have a Saturday badge this year and they are planning to go there for a day or two during sdcc. For taxis, like the earlier comment said, you'll be better off crossing the street. I also wonder if you can catch one at the Hilton Bayfront.

There is also MTS bus 901 and there will be a free shuttle you can take to the ferry landing (or more generally use to get around Coronado.) Things really depend on how early you want to get to the convention center and how late you want to stay.

Also, make sure to watch Some Like it Hot before you go :)

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #364 on: April 26, 2018, 01:16:20 PM »
Can someone tell me how crowded the ferry can get?  Will I have to wait a few rounds before getting on?  That's my primary concern.  Just wondering if I should skip trying to get parking and just do the ferry.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #365 on: April 26, 2018, 01:22:07 PM »
Can someone tell me how crowded the ferry can get?  Will I have to wait a few rounds before getting on?  That's my primary concern.  Just wondering if I should skip trying to get parking and just do the ferry.

I have not taken it myself but here is a yelp review page that has the number u can call to get some ideas about how it can be during comic con every year. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #366 on: April 26, 2018, 01:30:40 PM »

There will be a line, but I've always been able to get on the first one that came by. (This is a few years ago so if anyone has a more recent experience that is different please correct me.)  They run every 30 minutes from about 8am to 10pm (to 11pm on Friday and Saturday.)

Cost might be another consideration, you have to pay per person each way and there are no discount passes so it can add up, especially for a group.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #367 on: June 18, 2018, 07:38:16 PM »

One month until #SDCC18! Starting today, you can buy the 2018 commemorative #SDCC Trolley passes at the Transit Store. The Transit Store is open M-F, 8a-5p at the 12th & Imperial Transit Center. (Passes will also be on-sale 7/18-7/22 at select Trolley stations/times.)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #368 on: June 21, 2018, 02:06:47 PM »

The "Getting Here" pages for #SDCC2018 have been updated! 27 days to go! #SDCC
Parking page: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Shuttle page: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Transportation page: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline PurpleCalico

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #369 on: June 21, 2018, 10:00:36 PM »
My bf and I will be going to SDCC for the first time and we've never been to San Diego before. I've got a question, which is a better priced option to get to and from the airport to my accommodation on the day we arrive and depart? I'll be staying in the Hotel Circle area in Mission Valley.

- Uber/Lyft. Would it be easy to get a ride since there are many people in the city who might be using the app?
- Shuttle services like You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. The reviews I've read online about shuttles seem mixed.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #370 on: June 23, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »
My bf and I will be going to SDCC for the first time and we've never been to San Diego before. I've got a question, which is a better priced option to get to and from the airport to my accommodation on the day we arrive and depart? I'll be staying in the Hotel Circle area in Mission Valley.

- Uber/Lyft. Would it be easy to get a ride since there are many people in the city who might be using the app?
- Shuttle services like You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. The reviews I've read online about shuttles seem mixed.

I would expect Uber and Lyft to be less impacted than the shuttle services.  I rarely take the airport shuttles but when I do they are a big time sink.  Since they will wait or drive around until they get as many people as possible.

When I need to get to and from the airport, I take the trolley.  It's also the cheapest option.  The issue is how to get to your hotel from where the trolley stops in Mission Valley.  Is it close enough to walk?  When are you flying in?  Will the comic-con shuttles be running?  If so, you might want to think about taking the bus to the convention center and then taking a comic-con bus.

If you are going to take the trolley from the airport, there's no need to take a bus downtown and then take the trolley from there.  That can be a massive waste of time depending on connections.  I've had it add an hour on to my return trip from the airport late at night.  There's a little known way to catch the trolley from the airport.  So little known that when I asked the people at the airport information booth if it existed they had to look in their information book to find it.  Many airport shuttle drivers also don't know about it.  I don't know why it's not more widely used but there's a trolley stop on the other side of the tarmac from the terminals.  For years I wished that there was a way that I could walk to the terminals from that trolley stop.  There isn't but now there is a shuttle that will take you close to there.  It's called "trolley to terminal".  You can track it's location in realtime here.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #371 on: June 23, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »
I would expect Uber and Lyft to be less impacted than the shuttle services.  I rarely take the airport shuttles but when I do they are a big time sink.  Since they will wait or drive around until they get as many people as possible.

When I need to get to and from the airport, I take the trolley.  It's also the cheapest option.  The issue is how to get to your hotel from where the trolley stops in Mission Valley.  Is it close enough to walk?  When are you flying in?  Will the comic-con shuttles be running?  If so, you might want to think about taking the bus to the convention center and then taking a comic-con bus.

If you are going to take the trolley from the airport, there's no need to take a bus downtown and then take the trolley from there.  That can be a massive waste of time depending on connections.  I've had it add an hour on to my return trip from the airport late at night.  There's a little known way to catch the trolley from the airport.  So little known that when I asked the people at the airport information booth if it existed they had to look in their information book to find it.  Many airport shuttle drivers also don't know about it.  I don't know why it's not more widely used but there's a trolley stop on the other side of the tarmac from the terminals.  For years I wished that there was a way that I could walk to the terminals from that trolley stop.  There isn't but now there is a shuttle that will take you close to there.  It's called "trolley to terminal".  You can track it's location in realtime here.

Great tip, thanks! And love the realtime map. We used to use the rental car shuttle to get close to the Middlefield stop, but that was before they built the new car rental center. I didn't realize there was another shuttle you could use.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #372 on: June 23, 2018, 04:37:11 PM »

Thank you so much for this tip! I have seen that trolley stop, but couldn't see a way to get to it easily. This is a game changer for us!
Ang

Offline PurpleCalico

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #373 on: June 24, 2018, 02:23:23 AM »
I'll be flying in the day before the comic con shuttles start. So it's Uber/Lyft for me then.

Thanks for the suggestion btw!

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #374 on: June 24, 2018, 10:03:12 AM »
I'll be flying in the day before the comic con shuttles start. So it's Uber/Lyft for me then.

Thanks for the suggestion btw!

The San Diego airport has a special area to go to get picked up by Lyft/Uber...they don't pick you up straight on the curb FYI