Author Topic: Post your questions about public transportation here  (Read 137497 times)

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
Re: Post your questions about public transportation here
« Reply #390 on: March 27, 2019, 08:49:37 AM »
I'm going to be hitting up Disneyland on Monday before SDCC then going down to San Diego on Tuesday.  What would you suggest as far as transportation, bus or train?

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #391 on: March 27, 2019, 09:02:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm going to be hitting up Disneyland on Monday before SDCC then going down to San Diego on Tuesday.  What would you suggest as far as transportation, bus or train?
Definitely take the train!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #392 on: Today at 09:21:21 AM »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #392 on: March 27, 2019, 09:14:50 AM »
[member=5606]tsnyder[/member] Seconded. The train is much nicer and doesn't run the risk of getting stuck in SoCal freeway traffic!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #393 on: March 27, 2019, 01:02:32 PM »
I've taken both.  The train is more comfortable but the bus can be faster.  The bus is definitely cheaper.  I've been burned by both.  Sometimes the train doesn't run very often and by missing one, I'm stuck at Union Station for 3 hours until the next one.  The bus requires you to buy a ticket something like 30 minutes before the bus leaves.  I've missed that by a couple of minutes.  They are pretty hardcore about it.  So I have to wait for the next bus.  But that's normally only about an hour or so.

The train station is much easier to get to since it's a transportation hub.  The bus station is not that far away, but not particularly easy to get to.  It's so close that you can walk but the bus station is right in the middle of skid row in LA.  So many people will not walk there.  I do but I've gotten all my Hep B shots.  You can take the bus between the train station and bus station but it's a roundabout route that requires a transfer.  I don't know why there isn't a direct bus for such a short run.

Both the train and the bus can get pretty crowded.  You will always have a seat on the bus, they don't sell more tickets than seats.  You can be standing on the train.  They will sell as many tickets as they can sell.  Standing 2+ hours on the train is not fun.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #394 on: March 27, 2019, 01:05:00 PM »
[member=5606]tsnyder[/member] Seconded. The train is much nicer and doesn't run the risk of getting stuck in SoCal freeway traffic!

Unless there's an "incident" on the train, then you can be sitting there on a stopped train for hours on end.  Going between LA and San Diego it's happened a couple of times to me.  I don't take that train often.  When I used to take Caltrain up in San Francisco everyday, it would happen every week or two.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #395 on: March 27, 2019, 02:30:59 PM »
You can buy business class for the train and be guaranteed a nice seat. Also, the train station is pretty close to Disneyland. You can take a cheap Lyft there easily or catch a shuttle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #396 on: March 29, 2019, 07:14:33 AM »
Thanks so much for the input everyone.  Thinking train is the way to go  ;)

Offline Dune930

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #397 on: April 24, 2019, 09:42:24 AM »
Are the Bird and Lime scooters available in downtown San Diego? I may opt to use one of those instead of relying on the shuttle or walking during my three days. Thanks.

Offline Captain_R

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #398 on: April 24, 2019, 01:47:15 PM »
Are the Bird and Lime scooters available in downtown San Diego? I may opt to use one of those instead of relying on the shuttle or walking during my three days. Thanks.

I was in Downtown a couple a weeks ago and they were literally EVERYWHERE.

Offline lawhoo

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #399 on: May 07, 2019, 06:54:47 AM »
Very excited to be attending my first SDCC with my daughter and my first trip to lovely San Diego!

I'm working out the logistics and trying to figure out how to get to SDCC as efficiently as I can.  We are staying in Mission Hills within walking distance (12 min) of a trolley station (Old Town Station).  Looks like I'll have a decent shot at a downtown parking lot near the CC based on my ACE parking lottery position (group 2).  The question to the group here is should I forego renting a car and use the trolley?  Or, is it more efficient to rent a car and drive downtown, parking near the CC?  Part of the consideration is whether or not Mission Hills is walkable (not too sketchy, sidewalks) and how jammed up will the trolley be by the time it gets to the Old Town Station. 

Thanks for any insights!

Never give up, never surrender.

Offline pyxidis

• Exhibit Hall
  • If anyone asks, say it fell from the sky.
  • Liked: 25
« Reply #400 on: May 07, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »
Very excited to be attending my first SDCC with my daughter and my first trip to lovely San Diego!

I'm working out the logistics and trying to figure out how to get to SDCC as efficiently as I can.  We are staying in Mission Hills within walking distance (12 min) of a trolley station (Old Town Station).  Looks like I'll have a decent shot at a downtown parking lot near the CC based on my ACE parking lottery position (group 2).  The question to the group here is should I forego renting a car and use the trolley?  Or, is it more efficient to rent a car and drive downtown, parking near the CC?  Part of the consideration is whether or not Mission Hills is walkable (not too sketchy, sidewalks) and how jammed up will the trolley be by the time it gets to the Old Town Station. 

Thanks for any insights!

The trolley will be crowded. If you don't mind the crowd and the travel time, it's a cheaper option. It's $2.50 one-way per person over 5. So if you're daughter is older, you're looking at $10.00 per day round trip. You can always Lyft or Uber it in. For me I don't mind taking the trolley but that is only if I am by myself or riding with other adults or older kids. If your daughter is little, you might not want to be on a crowded trolley. I wouldn't. There is a lot of walking at the con. So walking to the trolley, plus the crowd on the trolley and at the con...might be overwhelming.

That said, If I had the money to comfortably drive in and park close to the con, I'd opt for that. Lol. As far as Mission Hills, I don't know the area. But you can check it out via Google Earth. That's what I do, so I can get an idea of what the area looks like.

Good luck! And have fun. SDCC is a lot of fun, especially the first time. :)
"We know a little about a lot of things, just enough to make us dangerous."
SDCC 07-13, 15, 16, 18-21, 22 | SDCC SE 21 | WC 12-23 | LC&E 12

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #401 on: May 07, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »
It's $2.50 one-way per person over 5. So if you're daughter is older, you're looking at $10.00 per day round trip. You can always Lyft or Uber it in.

You can get a pass for the entire weekend for like $20.

Offline pyxidis

• Exhibit Hall
  • If anyone asks, say it fell from the sky.
  • Liked: 25
« Reply #402 on: May 07, 2019, 11:13:38 AM »
You can get a pass for the entire weekend for like $20.

Thanks. I didn't see that option on the website, but I'll double check. :)
"We know a little about a lot of things, just enough to make us dangerous."
SDCC 07-13, 15, 16, 18-21, 22 | SDCC SE 21 | WC 12-23 | LC&E 12

Offline lawhoo

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #403 on: May 07, 2019, 11:34:19 AM »
Thanks. I didn't see that option on the website, but I'll double check. :)

I've been digging into the options at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  Looks like you can get some discounts by buying a multi-day pass.  My daughter is a teenager who is getting this trip to SDCC as a Christmas gift (nominally) to her.  Of course, I have to go too. 

Thanks again to this wonderful community.
Never give up, never surrender.

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #404 on: May 07, 2019, 11:36:42 AM »
I've been digging into the options at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  Looks like you can get some discounts by buying a multi-day pass.  My daughter is a teenager who is getting this trip to SDCC as a Christmas gift (nominally) to her.  Of course, I have to go too. 

Thanks again to this wonderful community.

Not just multi-day discounts, but they will also offer a special SDCC pass for all 4 days.