Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 211234 times)

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2019, 06:14:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is it possible to book it and then transfer the booking later on?

Terms say the booking is non transferable, but it says name changes are allowed until April 25, 2019. Isn't that a contradiction? Couldn't you use a "name change" to transfer the room to someone else? Or perhaps the original credit card must be used and/or the original booker must be one of the people attending?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but you can transfer the name but your card would have already been charged the full amount.  It is also highly unlikely you are going to be able to find someone after the lottery that is going to take over your early bird hotel and pay you full price.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2019, 08:38:33 AM »
I’m spoiled and like being downtown but then again no stress of hoping and praying you get in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #137 on: Today at 01:34:18 PM »

Offline Kguthrie5

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2019, 08:22:49 PM »
This will be my first time attending the Con. Just wanted to know if you do not get your preferred hotels in the lotto sale will you still be able to get a hotel in say maybe mission valley if all the downtown hotels are gone? ? All of this is new to me and I just don’t want to be stuck without a hotel at all. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2019, 08:50:23 PM »
This will be my first time attending the Con. Just wanted to know if you do not get your preferred hotels in the lotto sale will you still be able to get a hotel in say maybe mission valley if all the downtown hotels are gone? ? All of this is new to me and I just don’t want to be stuck without a hotel at all. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

[member=8675]Kguthrie5[/member]

There will be hotel availability on the shuttle route in Mission Valley, Hotel Circle, and even Shelter Island.  My first year (2015) I didn't know anything about the hotel sale (long story). I took a look at the list of hotels provided by CCI and booked a hotel on Shelter Island. I didn't book until June and got the convention rate, and there were plenty of con goers out there. And the shuttle works great.

Don't let the hype of the hotel sale scare you.  That's really for the people that live and die by staying downtown.  I prefer downtown, but I know there are many options, so I don't really stress about it. I've heard people stay even further out and come in by either car or other public transportation.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2019, 08:53:06 PM »

Yes, the Mission Valley Hotels and most hotels at least three miles out or more will be available.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline tt7777

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2019, 12:03:12 PM »
I know this is probably the wrong thread, but this year if I’m not able to get a hotel I would like to try to get into one of the groups so that maybe I can have a better chance of getting into the Omni or the Hyatt or the Marriott with an eight blocks of the convention center. Any suggestions on how I could be proactive this year for the first time?TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2019, 01:45:06 PM »
I know this is probably the wrong thread, but this year if I’m not able to get a hotel I would like to try to get into one of the groups so that maybe I can have a better chance of getting into the Omni or the Hyatt or the Marriott with an eight blocks of the convention center. Any suggestions on how I could be proactive this year for the first time?TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would wait until the day that Hotelpocalypse is announced. The forum usually becomes more active then and you'll see more people talking about it. There's also a roommate search thread so I'd go check it out. Then when assignments come, see if you're lucky; if not, people are really generous on here. Be nice, polite, and grateful to the people you make contact with.

That's pretty much it from me!
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Agoyo

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2019, 10:56:15 AM »

Mission Valley Hotels will still be open however some of the choice nights and rooms will sell out quickly. Last year double rooms for Friday night sold out at the MV Marriott and Springhill Suites within a couple weeks after the downtown hotel lotto sale. If you dont get what you are looking for in the lotto it is best to book a place right after the rooms open up again if you have a specific hotel in mind. I am not sure what it might signal that the Marriott and Doubletree hotels are not in the early sale for 2019 but I am a bit concerned.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2019, 11:02:49 AM »
I am not sure what it might signal that the Marriott and Doubletree hotels are not in the early sale for 2019 but I am a bit concerned.

[member=2705]Agoyo[/member]

I'm curious what is your concern.

Is it that perhaps they will only be available during the hotel sale, or that they won't be available at all due to some major issue (i'm thinking construction/renovation).
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2019, 01:16:10 PM »
..... I am not sure what it might signal that the Marriott and Doubletree hotels are not in the early sale for 2019 but I am a bit concerned.
as [member=5681]sessionka[/member] implied, i'm guessing the reason those hotels are not in the EB is either due to the 'T's not being crossed' for the deal OR they're trying to 'run with the big boys' in hotelpocolips. Neither of which should effect us. If it's the former the hotels will come on line shortly, if the latter- very very few folks will be trying for them as a first choice. Don't forget the hotels rate is a little higher after EB ends  >:D

iow, i don't think we can read much into this exclusion yet ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:19:06 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2019, 01:22:04 PM »
they're trying to 'run with the big boys' in hotelpocolips.

Well that's gonna be a failed experiment.  Nobody in the Hotelpocalypse is aiming for Mission Valley.  If you want MV, you do early bird.  smh

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2019, 08:18:24 AM »
Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else. Has the after sale FOCC analysis shown any effect of requesting a 2 room block vs just 1 room during lottery? I've always just entered one but we have a bigger group year and rooms close would be awesome. My thought was it would only hurt you if it was down to the very last room at hotel and since you asked for 2 didnt get it but chances are that are super slim. Just wanted to see other opinions.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline f22raptor

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »
Mission Valley Hotels will still be open however some of the choice nights and rooms will sell out quickly. Last year double rooms for Friday night sold out at the MV Marriott and Springhill Suites within a couple weeks after the downtown hotel lotto sale. If you dont get what you are looking for in the lotto it is best to book a place right after the rooms open up again if you have a specific hotel in mind. I am not sure what it might signal that the Marriott and Doubletree hotels are not in the early sale for 2019 but I am a bit concerned.

Hopefully more in Mission Valley gets added to the Early Bird Sale list, since the hotel I stayed at for the last five Con is among the missing.  I for one do want to participate in  Hotelpocolypes.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2019, 11:55:35 AM »
Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else. Has the after sale FOCC analysis shown any effect of requesting a 2 room block vs just 1 room during lottery? I've always just entered one but we have a bigger group year and rooms close would be awesome. My thought was it would only hurt you if it was down to the very last room at hotel and since you asked for 2 didnt get it but chances are that are super slim. Just wanted to see other opinions.

I do not believe that this has been addressed in the hotel analysis that Mark has generously performed for us every year. Officially, it shouldn't make a difference (as you suggested, unless you're right on the cusp and you're requesting more rooms than the hotel has remaining) But in the past I've seen anecdotal stories stating that people who request fewer rooms are more likely to get what they want. Since OnPeak is just a black hole, no one knows for sure. But if you need 2 rooms, request 2 rooms. I do this myself, due to our large traveling party. The most important thing for us is to all be at the same hotel.

Offline Agoyo

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2019, 12:56:18 PM »
I realize the prevailing attitude for SDCC is downtown or nothing which means downtown no matter what I have to do, but for those who might not be as fortunate or have the right connections it isnt unreasonable to have a concern that some of the better hotels in Mission Valley are not on the early bird sale list and what that might mean. It could mean nothing but if those hotels are no longer in the mix it affects other aspects such as parking, shuttles, public transportation, rental cars, etc. Again, knowing those logistical topics mean nothing to those who will be downtown but it might mean something those who may be end up in Mission Valley.