Author Topic: Panel Speculation for 2019  (Read 32815 times)

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
Re: Panel Speculation for 2019
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I *think* that was two years ago?  I could be mistaken.

It was a Saturday panel two years ago.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 04:50:17 PM »
I mentioned it on Reddit, but even if we don't get a panel for Stranger Things, they will still should be in the thick of a promo/press tour for the new season at that time. Possible guest spots on Conan (if he returns) or an offsite still seem likely to me.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 03:08:41 AM »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 05:51:17 PM »
I mentioned it on Reddit, but even if we don't get a panel for Stranger Things, they will still should be in the thick of a promo/press tour for the new season at that time. Possible guest spots on Conan (if he returns) or an offsite still seem likely to me.

I can see an offsite.  But I feel like promotion would die down (at least as far as panels and interviews) after 2+ weeks.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 11:31:46 AM »
I *think* that was two years ago?  I could be mistaken.
I think you're right; it's hell to get old... :-P

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »
I think you're right; it's hell to get old... :-P

Too true.  I have ibuprofen with my coffee every morning which I think is a right of passage into my elder years.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 12:22:35 PM »
Too true.  I have ibuprofen with my coffee every morning which I think is a right of passage into my elder years.
It's tricky, and being sort of anonymousish here helps me vent about feeling old ever-so-slightly: my wife is 5 years older than me (and while she goes to Comic-Con with me on Sundays she doesn't participate on this forum) so I can't really say I'm old without the implication that she is then also old(er)  :P

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 03:52:22 PM »
Regarding Stranger Things, it would be tricky to have a panel. How do you have a panel where half the audience has already watched it, and half the audience hasn't? Two weeks is not enough time to ensure everyone's gotten around to it. So you would have to have a spoil-free panel, which would disappoint half the audience who wants the panelists to talk about whatever big plot twists happen in Season 3. Not saying it can't be done; it just would have to be very delicately handled. For instance, if one of the main cast members gets killed off, they should not bring that person to the panel, for (s)he might get a stronger-than-usual reaction, which would maybe tip off people who haven't watched Season 3 yet.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2019, 01:33:29 PM »
Even if they managed to curate a panel that was spoiler free, I guarantee the first question from the audience would address a huge spoiler from the latest season.  >:D

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 11:01:03 AM »
Regarding Stranger Things, it would be tricky to have a panel. How do you have a panel where half the audience has already watched it, and half the audience hasn't? Two weeks is not enough time to ensure everyone's gotten around to it. So you would have to have a spoil-free panel, which would disappoint half the audience who wants the panelists to talk about whatever big plot twists happen in Season 3. Not saying it can't be done; it just would have to be very delicately handled. For instance, if one of the main cast members gets killed off, they should not bring that person to the panel, for (s)he might get a stronger-than-usual reaction, which would maybe tip off people who haven't watched Season 3 yet.

That panel from a few years ago was my son's favorite panel of the day, though that likely had more to do with Patton Oswalt being impeccable as a moderator.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2019, 09:55:14 PM »
Omg so with this being the last season of Legion, and the premiere being set in June I’m going to assume they won’t have a presence there.  I jumped from obsessing about Hannibal to obsessing about Legion. It’s going to be weird to not have one thing to focus on.

I joked on twitter that maybe I can be all about Marvel this year and a friend joked they probably won’t be there because of D23 and now I’m... lost lmao.

W... Westworld? You.... you want to be the next panel I plan my con around? There’s a vacancy to fill lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2019, 03:07:20 AM »
Omg so with this being the last season of Legion, and the premiere being set in June I’m going to assume they won’t have a presence there.  I jumped from obsessing about Hannibal to obsessing about Legion. It’s going to be weird to not have one thing to focus on.

I joked on twitter that maybe I can be all about Marvel this year and a friend joked they probably won’t be there because of D23 and now I’m... lost lmao.

W... Westworld? You.... you want to be the next panel I plan my con around? There’s a vacancy to fill lol.

I usually plan around Marvel panels and had a similar problem last year when they weren't there.  I believe Netflix only had Iron Fist.  I ended up seeing a number of panels like Vikings and The Magicians that I wouldn't normally get to.  I also had more time for the exhibit hall and off-sites.  It was a welcome change from the usual.  But I will be disappointed if MCU skips SDCC two years in a row.

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 06:07:54 AM »
I haven't been so excited about a show that I'd wait in line for a panel since Buffy the Vampire Slayer. LOL There are very few series that I sit and watch from beginning to end anymore, and the ones that I have seem to be ending this year. Westworld is a thought though...

I'm actually interested in seeing John Barrowman.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 07:42:45 AM »

There's "The Good Place."  That's a great show that's had CCI panels (Saturday late morning last year)

Also, FWIW, the last D23 Marvel did have a panel at SDCCI so you never know at this point.  D23 is after Comic-Con, so they may hold back from Comic-Con but who knows.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2019, 09:02:50 AM »

D23 doesn't seem to impact it.  They still had a panel the last time D23 was the same year. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2019, 09:28:46 AM »
I usually plan around Marvel panels and had a similar problem last year when they weren't there.  I believe Netflix only had Iron Fist.  I ended up seeing a number of panels like Vikings and The Magicians that I wouldn't normally get to.  I also had more time for the exhibit hall and off-sites.  It was a welcome change from the usual.  But I will be disappointed if MCU skips SDCC two years in a row.

I can definitely see how it'd be a welcome change to not have a "thing" to plan around lol.

D23 doesn't seem to impact it.  They still had a panel the last time D23 was the same year.

I hope so! Because at this rate it seems like this will be the thing I plan around.  Should be an interesting year, too, since there's so much unknown about what's coming next.