Author Topic: SDCC 2021  (Read 17283 times)

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
Re: SDCC 2021
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2021, 09:51:08 AM »
I'm on the fence about a hybrid convention. I guess something is better than nothing......but to fly in and do hotels to watch zoom meetings and not have exhibit hall is a tough pill to swallow. At this point I just would like to know what the plan is. We have to be close to some type of magical cutoff point for a decision.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2021, 06:55:57 PM »
I wouldn't be interested in attending if it moved cities but I don't think I'll be able to attend in 2021 regardless. I hope to attend in 2022 and have a rekindled appreciation for the convention after the pandemic break.  8)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 01:33:18 PM »

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2021, 12:07:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
UPDATE

STATEMENT REGARDING COMIC-CON 2021
As you may be aware, due to concern for public health and safety, San Diego Comic Convention had to cancel both of its in-person events in 2020 and recently announced that our spring 2021 show, WonderCon in Anaheim, will also be canceled. In its place, WonderCon@Home will once again be held as a free online event on March 26 and 27, 2021.

It is the policy of the organization to continue to closely monitor information from local and national healthcare officials as it pertains to the COVID-19 pandemic. Never could we have imagined what the world experienced in 2020 and continues to experience today. While we are buoyed by the rollout of the vaccine and the growing number of individuals being inoculated, it appears that July will still be too early to safely hold an in-person event of the magnitude of Comic-Con. For this reason, we have made the challenging decision to postpone Comic-Con 2021 as an in-person gathering until our 2022 dates, and once again hold this year's celebration as the free online Comic-Con@Home. Unfortunately, the challenges of this past year and the multiple postponements of our two largest events have left us with limited financial resources, so this year the online experience will be reduced to a three-day event, spanning July 23-25, 2021.

While we lament the postponement of the in-person Comic-Con, our commitment to this community of fans and our celebration of comics and the related popular arts endures as an important part of who we are. As the timing and scope of our larger event factored greatly into our decision to postpone, we believe that launching a smaller in-person event at a later time may be a safe alternative. For this reason, we are happy to announce that San Diego Comic Convention is planning to present a three-day in-person convention in San Diego in November. At this time, we are still working on specific details as to attendance capacity, badge cost, and related information, and those details will be forthcoming. Please continue to visit our website, comic-con.org, for official updated information as it becomes available.

At this time, individuals who have purchased badges that were rolled over to the 2021 show will have those badges automatically transferred to the 2022 event unless a refund is requested. To submit a badge refund request, visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. All confirmed exhibitors with a rollover payment from Comic-Con 2020 will receive a separate email with instructions and deadlines for continuing to forward your payment on to Comic-Con 2022, or for requesting a refund. In addition, we are currently working on an option for those wishing to transfer their badge or exhibitor deposits/payments as full or partial payment towards our 2021 November event. Information will be forthcoming, so please watch your email inbox and the Comic-Con website for further details.

The past several months have taken a great toll on both families and friends, and we hope this effort is a small move toward a return to gathering as a community to not only celebrate popular art, but also friendship, education, and the enduring spirit of the fandom that is so much a part of Comic-Con. We thank you all for your continued and unwavering support during these most challenging times.

We look forward to seeing you in November!

--San Diego Comic Convention

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2021, 12:41:24 PM »
"In addition, we are currently working on an option for those wishing to transfer their badge or exhibitor deposits/payments as full or partial payment towards our 2021 November event. Information will be forthcoming, so please watch your email inbox and the Comic-Con website for further details. "

I wonder if they are finding ways to make SDCC 2022 smaller?
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2021, 04:46:45 PM »
Forum Housekeeping:

Moved this thread from "SDCC Registration and Badges" to "CCI General Discussion" as the discussion is regarding the status of the convention rather than specifically addressing registration for 2021 (which there isn't one, due to the more recent announcement of a virtual Comic-Con@Home).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 02:09:03 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2021, 06:31:28 PM »

COMIC-CON ANNOUNCES DATES FOR NOVEMBER CONVENTION

The Event Will Be Held At The San Diego Convention CenterOver Thanksgiving Weekend

San Diego – San Diego Comic Convention today announced dates for their November convention. Comic-Con Special Edition will be held as a three-day event over Thanksgiving weekend, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, November 26-28, 2021 at the San Diego Convention Center. It is our hope that by Fall conditions will permit larger public gatherings.

Comic-Con Special Edition will be the first in-person convention produced by the organization since Comic-Con 2019,and the first since the onset of the global pandemic COVID-19. The Fall event will allow the organization to highlight all the great elements that make Comic-Con such a popular event each year, as well as generate much needed revenue not only for the organization but also for local businesses and the community.

“While we have been able to pivot from in-person gatherings to limited online events, the loss of revenue has had an acute impact on the organization as it has with many small businesses, necessitating reduced work schedules and reduction in pay for employees, among other issues,” said David Glanzer, spokesperson for the nonprofit organization. “Hopefully this event will shore up our financial reserves and mark a slow return to larger in-person gatherings in 2022.”

As details are still being finalized, badge cost, attendance capacity,and related information will be forthcoming.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2021, 09:15:45 PM »
Well, I guess that SDCC isn't in the cards for me this year. My family would not be happy if I skipped Thanksgiving this year. Especially since I didn't go last year. I can't wait to see all the updates though, and I look forward to 2022!
Ang

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2021, 12:01:46 AM »
Well, I guess that SDCC isn't in the cards for me this year. My family would not be happy if I skipped Thanksgiving this year. Especially since I didn't go last year. I can't wait to see all the updates though, and I look forward to 2022!
thankfully (or not) i can only make it home one holiday, thanksgiving or christmas.
I informed the fam thanksgiving was not an option this year
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2021, 05:30:40 AM »
i'll do Thanksgiving with family and then hop on a plane to San Diego.  With my family, we only do the one day with a big meal and then everybody does their own thing the rest of the weekend. It's really not that much different for me than any other Thanksgiving.  :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2021, 09:13:05 AM »
Okey dokey.  The other shoe has finally dropped.

My girlfriend and I are senior citizens.  We have both been fully vaccinated and we both have confidence in the vaccine.  We live in San Diego county so taking a plane and staying in a hotel won't be necessary.  We'll spend Thanksgiving with family and then have the rest of the weekend to ourselves.  We're going.  I have been to every San Diego Comic-Con since 1982.  That's 37 straight.  I'm not going to miss this one.  This show has been such a huge, huge part of my life that staying away is impossible.  I was 23 when I went to my first one.  Now I'm 62.  I'll keep going as long as I'm physically able to do it. 

But here we are, eight months out, and there's still so much we don't know.  To wit:

November and the Thanksgiving holiday is problematic. People with families will have to send their kids to school the day after the convention ends.

The weather in San Diego that time of year can be iffy. It might be really hot or it can be cold and rainy.

How many bars, restaurants and hotels will be open? How many bars, restaurants and hotels closed permanently?

How are people going to feel about traveling?

Will you have to have proof of vaccination to get a badge?

Will the movie studios and TV networks be willing to send their talent and set up booths?

Will Marvel and DC be there?

What about the toy companies? Will Hasbro be there?  Will there be any exclusives at all? 

What about artists alley? 

What kind of police presence will there be?  It's Thanksgiving weekend so I imagine they'll be getting double overtime.  Is the city going to want to pay for that? 

And the most important questions of all: Where will be at with the pandemic?  Will the case numbers be down?  Will the various vaccines prove to be effective?  Will the economy be completely reopened?  Or ... (And it kills me to type this) will we suffer a relapse and be right back to where we were a year ago?

Oh, the suspense.  Gonna be a long summer.  Stay tuned and stuff.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 10:49:28 AM by SDcomics »

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2021, 03:19:41 PM »
I’m undecided if I should do this.  It will depend on what the coronavirus situation is then.  I anticipate all attendees will be required to wear masks and social distance at the least.  I’m also not sure I would want to do New York Comic Con in the event that takes place this year.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2021, 04:52:29 PM »
I’m undecided if I should do this.  It will depend on what the coronavirus situation is then.  I anticipate all attendees will be required to wear masks and social distance at the least. 
Maybe...

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Nicodimas

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2021, 09:46:36 PM »
HUGE miss on thanksgivings.

They should have done 18+

Halloween special edition focusing on cosplay.

Super easy sell way fun

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2021, 09:57:37 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login:

UPDATED STATEMENT REGARDING COMIC-CON SPECIAL EDITION

Our decision to hold an in-person event in 2021 was driven by a number of factors. Our primary hope was to be able to gather in-person as a community, something we have not been able to do since early last year. Another was to try to determine how best to effectively and safely produce events in light of current health concerns with the least negative impact on attendees.

As conventions and events have had to cancel their in-person shows or have converted to virtual formats during the pandemic, some have been postponed to later years while others have been rescheduled to the later part of 2021, resulting in a very packed Convention Center calendar. When reviewing dates for an in-person event, it was clear that available meeting and exhibit space would limit our options. Of the dates presented with the fewest restrictions, Friday through Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend seemed to be the best balance of available space and our envisioned event. As longtime fans ourselves, we have attended many conventions over that holiday weekend, opting to spend Thanksgiving day with family and the rest of the weekend with friends and our families of choice. While this is not unusual in the convention trade, we understand this choice is not optimal for everyone.

Comic-Con Special Edition was never intended to be the large gathering reflective of the summer event. As a shorter event, it was our attempt to start slowly and cautiously while at the same time addressing the desire from fans to have an in-person show. There are still many factors that are unknown to us at this time, including space accommodations, travel restrictions, capacity restrictions, and required safety protocols. While open to all and with the hope that we will be able to accommodate fans from all over, we understand that due to potential travel-based restrictions and challenges, Comic-Con Special Edition may be an event attended mostly by fans more easily able to travel to San Diego.

Currently we do not know whether having this event in November is even feasible as we are still in the midst of the pandemic and while we are optimistic about Q4, we have not been privy to any specific information on large gatherings. However, it was our desire to have something in place for our fans who have longed for an in-person event. We truly hope that you will join us for this entry back into the world of in-person celebrations of the community we so love.