Author Topic: SDCC 2021  (Read 17281 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: SDCC 2021
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2021, 11:40:07 PM »
The "Currently we do not know whether having this event in November is even feasible" is an interesting comment.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2021, 11:52:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The "Currently we do not know whether having this event in November is even feasible" is an interesting comment.

It's honest.  It's far from certain anything is happening in November.  Let's see how the summer goes, I think it's a coin toss which way it will.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 11:55:11 AM »

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2021, 07:37:45 AM »
It's honest.  It's far from certain anything is happening in November.  Let's see how the summer goes, I think it's a coin toss which way it will.

Right now, the way I see it, the proposed November event is going to depend on two things:

1) The virus.  The virus has dictated everything for a year.

2) Whether or not we can just stay the heck away from each other until 80 percent of the country gets vaccinated and we develop herd immunity.

It is indeed a coin toss.  Harvey Dent's two headed coin.  One side pristine, the other side scarred and deformed.  Which side will we get?

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2021, 10:34:58 AM »

Well, that's enough to take the starch right out of your collar.

We ain't outta the woods yet, folks.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2021, 11:03:54 AM »
Right now, the way I see it, the proposed November event is going to depend on two things:

2) Whether or not we can just stay the heck away from each other until 80 percent of the country gets vaccinated and we develop herd immunity.
Frankly, If someone chooses not to get vaccinated & gets it... i don't have much sympathy. It's kinda like doing other destructive behavior and having to accept the consequences.  I refuse to be held prisoner because people choose not to get the jab.

all bets are off if the covid mutates to where the vaccine doesn't have effect.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2021, 11:44:46 AM »
Frankly, If someone chooses not to get vaccinated & gets it... i don't have much sympathy. It's kinda like doing other destructive behavior and having to accept the consequences.  I refuse to be held prisoner because people choose not to get the jab.

Unfortunately the two are intertwined.  If my neighbor roasts meat by having a huge bonfire that spits out embers everywhere, it just doesn't endanger his house it endangers mine.  No vaccine is 100% effective.  With repeated exposure even a vaccinated person will get sick.  A population that harbors a virus is a variant factory.  To stop variants, we have to stop people from getting infected.  With a pandemic, what one person does impacts everyone else.  No one is an island.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2021, 12:02:06 PM »

^^^^^^^  This

Offline Nicodimas

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »
The problem with your statement on getting vaccinated is due to the way these were structured , this could spread  in the people who get the shot and cause you got a “immunization jab” a variant form would completely evade your immune system cause of this shot. Read up on it. This was not a perfect solution by a long shot.

The actually study that shows this could occur will be done and finished by 2023. This can medically happen and disappointing they never suggested the possibility and reported about it. People afraid just jumped two feet in and I pray this doesn’t happen.

This isn’t anti-vax and people have to realize they are the test subjects. As a society we should have been aware of some of the more serious consequences .../shrug

(Like everyone for sure I want Covid gone and back to normality so hoping it works !)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 01:10:33 PM by Nicodimas »

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2021, 02:11:09 PM »
As I said earlier, both me and my lady love got fully vaccinated a month ago.  Both shots.  It was the Pfizer vaccine, for those keeping score at home.  There have been absolutely no ill effects.  Not so much as a sore arm. A month later and we're both healthy as can be.

When I was in the Navy I must have gotten two or three dozen shots.  For everything.  Polio, Anthrax, Cholera, Smallpox, the flu, Hepatitus, you name it.  And I never once got sick.  Not once.

I trust science.  I always have, I always will.

Lory and I are both tired.  Tired of being home all the time, tired of not seeing friends and family.  We live in a beautiful part of the country.  We want to start going out and living our lives.  And we're going to.

I said this on these boards a year ago: Fear is a reaction.  Courage is a choice.

If conventions become a thing again, then I will see you guys at Comic-Con Special Edition 2021, WonderCon 2022 and Comic-Con 2022.  Here's hoping.

Damn the torpedoes.  Full speed ahead!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2021, 04:22:29 PM »
Unfortunately the two are intertwined.  If my neighbor roasts meat by having a huge bonfire that spits out embers everywhere, it just doesn't endanger his house it endangers mine.  No vaccine is 100% effective.  With repeated exposure even a vaccinated person will get sick.  A population that harbors a virus is a variant factory.  To stop variants, we have to stop people from getting infected.  With a pandemic, what one person does impacts everyone else.  No one is an island.

I don't have a problem with vaccine passports or facemasks. I actually think the reduction in flu's has been a real eye-opener to a lot of people. Hey imagine the reduction in con-crud if everyone wore a mask
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2021, 04:38:52 PM »
I don't have a problem with vaccine passports or facemasks. I actually think the reduction in flu's has been a real eye-opener to a lot of people. Hey imagine the reduction in con-crud if everyone wore a mask

Agree.  The flu data is interesting. 

I've been labeled a germaphobe at work for socially distancing when someone is sick.  I just hate getting sick twice a year for 2 weeks each.  There's too much stuff to do to waste a month each year being sick.  I've been sick 4-5 times in 15 years.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2021, 09:15:07 PM »

I'm glad people have had their eyes opened.  But I'm sad they needed it.  That's including the top US public health officials who claimed that masks weren't needed, just wash your hands.  That's with a 100 years of science showing that masks are key with any respiratory illness.  Somehow they forgot all that just because covid was "novel".  The countries that didn't, the countries who's populations spontaneously donned masks before their governments even mentioned it, fared much better.  So I hope the lesson sticks for next time.  I hope people wear masks when they are sick with a cold or flu instead of blasting it everywhere.  Maybe finally I can stop explaining why I wear a mask when I'm sick.  That's one positive thing that can come out of this.

I've been labeled a germaphobe at work for socially distancing when someone is sick.  I just hate getting sick twice a year for 2 weeks each.  There's too much stuff to do to waste a month each year being sick.  I've been sick 4-5 times in 15 years.

That's one of the things to be grateful of this year.  My last cold was about a month before lock down.  I haven't had a cold in a year.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:21:11 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2021, 10:10:54 PM »
I was really looking forward to the 4th qtr event and couldn't be more bummed to see it's that weekend of all weekends.  I haven't been to a con in over a year and miss the experience greatly, hopefully there will be some other cons to hold me over until 2022

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2021, 10:18:57 PM »
If it's safe to gather in large groups by the end of November (and pending my current job status abroad, ha ha), I'll likely pass on the November special event... Only time will tell, ha ha.  While I miss being with friends at Comic-Con, it would be even more wonderful to see family and spend time with them at our big Thanksgiving dinner at my grandmother's house over that weekend.

If I do end up going to the special event, I'd rather volunteer (if they plan on having volunteers, that is) and help out because that's what I love doing most at cons--helping people have a good experience. ^__~
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2021, 04:19:09 AM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanksgiving Comic-Con Faces Uphill Battle With Stars, Producers

March 30, 2021 3:48pm by Aaron Couch, Lesley Goldberg, Borys Kit

In April 2020, geeks mourned when San Diego Comic-Con announced that for the first time in its 50-year history, the flagship convention was canceled. Now, a year into the novel coronavirus pandemic, Comic-Con organizers have charted a path back, declaring that an in-person event will take place over Thanksgiving weekend, Friday through Sunday, from Nov. 26-28.

Rather than a warm welcome, March 27's announcement sparked an instant backlash on social media, and a quieter one in Hollywood, with multiple studio, publishing and publicity sources telling THR a pushback is brewing.

"We love San Diego Comic-Con and would love to support, but what actor or producer is going to give up their first post-vaccine Thanksgiving holiday with family to travel to San Diego to publicize a project?" says a rep for a studio that has hosted Hall H panels in the past.

Adds another: "During the pandemic, we’ve had Wonder Woman and The Mandalorian, but what we haven’t had is a hug from our parents and grandparents. Talent are not going to want to give up time with their families at Thanksgiving this year of all years. I have no idea what the organizers are thinking.  <snip by admin aly>"

Please go to the web site linked above to read the complete article ;) --- admin aly

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:16:46 AM by alyssa »