Author Topic: Schmigadoon  (Read 765 times)

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
Schmigadoon
« on: August 03, 2021, 06:02:10 AM »
I know there's some kind of crossover between sci-fi/comic book/fantasy fans and theater geeks, so I thought I'd start a thread for my favorite show of the moment.  I basically came for the stellar cast, which stars Keegan Michael Key and Cecily Strong, and is supported by musical theater icons Alan Cumming and Kristen Chenoweth, but am staying for the hilarious satire (including the skewering of its more problematic elements). 

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Schmigadoon
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 02:04:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know there's some kind of crossover between sci-fi/comic book/fantasy fans and theater geeks, so I thought I'd start a thread for my favorite show of the moment.  I basically came for the stellar cast, which stars Keegan Michael Key and Cecily Strong, and is supported by musical theater icons Alan Cumming and Kristen Chenoweth, but am staying for the hilarious satire (including the skewering of its more problematic elements).
This is a fun one!  I haven't seen the most recent episode from last week yet, but I'm really enjoying this series.  For those not aware, this Apple TV+ series is both a parody/satire of golden age big Hollywood musicals (think BRIGADOON, SEVEN BRIDS FOR SEVEN BROTHERS, MUSIC MAN, SOUND OF MUSIC, etc) while also being an earnest musical.  W/out having seen the most recent ep, so far the series makes light of musical tropes (the 'rogue' small town good looking male loner; the super conservative wife of the pastor) but isn't mean-spirited or cynical.  The series is directed by Barry Sonnenfeld, who not only directed great films like MEN IN BLACK & GET SHORTY, but was a cinematographer before directing and has a GREAT eye for shot composition and interesting camera techniques (see his really cool cinematography work on THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN and 12 O'CLOCK HIGH among others).  The series does a great job riding the fine line between satire & love-letter to classic musicals.

When I saw the first couple of episodes of the series, I texted a co-worker to tell him "I found the next musical for our HS!"  I was half-joking, while also wondering 'could this work for HS..."  :P

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Schmigadoon
« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:36:30 AM »