Author Topic: Marriot Marquis vs Hilton Bayfront  (Read 7439 times)

Offline 28savagedays

• Room 6BCF
    • Co-Founder/ Senior Editor
  • Liked: 45
Re: Marriot Marquis vs Hilton Bayfront
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2022, 11:49:44 AM »
I’ve stayed at both a few times during my SDCC years. I actually prefer SDMMM to Bayfront. Bayfront rooms are smaller compared to SDMMM. Especially when you’ve got 4 roommate total. The convenience to the convention center is pretty sweet tho.

Got spoiled with SDMMM one year when my roomie got a corner double queen bed room. Sooooo much room for 4 occupants.

Offline summerald

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2022, 08:29:27 AM »
I am partial to the MMM, but maybe because it was my FIRST stay at SDCC16...work provided the room 2016-2018...but now I'm freelancing at SDCC and have never gotten MMM in the lottery.  Got lucky and scored 3 nights in a single room in 2019 (some rooms became available about 2 weeks before that con) and I ditched my room-mates at the Sheraton, lol.   Have stayed in both MMM towers--but beware the street-facing rooms opposite the light rail stop...you can hear DING DING DING into the wee hours, lol.  Still wouldn't keep me from that room, though.  Stayed at HB once, the rooms were not as nice and while quick to access the ballroom there if that's your program hangout, it's oddly further to walk to get to the end of the Hall H line.  Uber's have a hard time getting to it when the roads are closed (must take a very long route around and approach from the south.) Trying Manchester Hyatt this year...just a titch farther on the marina walk than the MMM...might be a good second to MMM!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 06:30:14 AM by summerald »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 04:36:05 AM »

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2022, 09:15:27 AM »
Oh for sure, using Uber, especially to and from the airport, is a lot easier from the Manchester. I remember one year it took forever to get to the airport from the Bayfront because of all the road closures. We ended up having to go on the highway.

This year we are staying at the Bayfront, but we chose a later flight out of SD, so hopefully the mad exodus out of Gaslamp will have subsided by then.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2022, 09:27:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am partial to the MMM, but maybe because it was my FIRST stay at SDCC16...work provided the room 2016-2018...but now I'm freelancing at SDCC and have never gotten MMM in the lottery.  Got lucky and scored 3 nights in a single room in 2019 (some rooms became available about 2 weeks before that con) and I ditched my room-mates at the Sheraton, lol.   Have stayed in both MMM towers--but beware the street-facing rooms opposite the light rail stop...you can hear DING DING DING into the wee hours, lol.  Still wouldn't keep me from that room, though.  Stayed at HB once, the rooms were not as nice and while quick to access the ballroom there if that's your program hangout, it's oddly further to walk to get to the end of the Hall H line.  Uber's have a hard time getting to it when the roads are closed (must take a very long route around and approach from the south.) Trying Manchester Hyatt this year...just a titch farther on the marina walk than the MMM...might be a good second to MMM!

I've stayed at the MGH, it's nice but even though they are directly next to each other that walk feels FARRRRRR when it's busy out. 

Personally, between MGH, MMM, Omni, Sheraton, Hard Rock I prefer the MMM the most.  I like the Hard Rock alot but you need to be street side because holy cow is it loud on the pool side since they're typically hosting night time events and you can't even really use the pool since they put the hard deck on.   

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2022, 09:35:02 AM »
I've only stayed at the MMM(1 year) and HBF(3 years), and for us personally the HBF is the best SDCC hotel. For us because its closest to the everything else line and Hall H line. When we stayed at MMM, the walk all the way to the everything else & Hall H line was so long, especially doing it from Wed-Sun. It's been a while but from what i can remember, MMM seemed to be a little bigger room for 4 people, but i could be remember this incorrectly, it's been a while.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2022, 09:46:33 AM »
The MMM to the Hall H Lawn is certainly a long walk. However, the 'next day line' is now closer to the MMM, since it starts behind the convention center.

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2022, 05:16:00 PM »
MMM has a destination/resort fee so that's one minor negative but still worth it in my view over Hilton. Also I bet Hilton also has one!  >:D

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2022, 02:05:14 PM »
The MMM is great if you get a balcony room way high up.  I used to be able to book those rooms on Sunday/Monday for the last days of the con and it was great but they dried up the last few years.

The year I stayed at MMM through the con rate/booking, it was not my favorite year.  The room was small and dark and wading through the mounds of people just to get to the room was a big hassle. 

I find it easier at the MGH and my favorite now is the Springhill Suites.  SHS works for my disability because I can ride the tram in and out or take one of the bike things/scooters and it is less people and less overall walking believe it or not. Plus they have a huge breakfast and drinks at the pool without the resort fee.

Offline teppope

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2022, 03:09:01 PM »
Now that I've stayed in both, I liked Bayfront better. The rooms were smaller, but it was fun to see celebrities and be close to Hall H and those FX activations and the pier. Very surprised but happy

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2022, 04:26:52 PM »
MMM has a destination/resort fee so that's one minor negative but still worth it in my view over Hilton. Also I bet Hilton also has one!  >:D

MMM specified at check-in that they were not charging the resort fee to reservations booked through the convention. :)

I've stayed at both and MMM is the clear winner for me. It just feels more relaxing and closer to the Convention, and I prefer the food options. Plus the pool bar is huge and really pretty with good food and drinks.

Offline CHEYS671Guam

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2022, 09:57:52 AM »
I've stayed at the MGH, it's nice but even though they are directly next to each other that walk feels FARRRRRR when it's busy out. 

Personally, between MGH, MMM, Omni, Sheraton, Hard Rock I prefer the MMM the most.  I like the Hard Rock alot but you need to be street side because holy cow is it loud on the pool side since they're typically hosting night time events and you can't even really use the pool since they put the hard deck on.   

We stayed at the MGH this year! I love how the Seaport is nearby & it's great for Hall-H line-up but my feet were killing me! Now that the shuttles were in the area, it gets really crowded.

I would have loved to return to MMM.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2022, 01:21:53 PM »
I can confirm that the MMM did not charge the resort fee for the Comic Con rate. However, we did have to pay $40 for self-parking (ouch).

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2022, 01:30:42 PM »
I can confirm that the MMM did not charge the resort fee for the Comic Con rate. However, we did have to pay $40 for self-parking (ouch).

...and we didn't touch the car between check-in and check-out.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2022, 05:35:48 PM »

I will say, that normally HBF self-parking is lower than the other hotels by about $5-10/night from what I've observed in my past years staying there ( ~6-7 years now), but this year self-parking was $40/night and yeah... ouch. For reference, I believe it was $25-30/night back in 2019.

I will say, the food options at HBF have been severely lacking this year and 2019 (iirc the Fox Sports Bar & Grill or whatever it was called was closed by that time.) They had Hudson & Nash for the new restaurant... but they did a $34/person buffet this year on a special comic-con menu starting I think Wednesday or Tuesday and it was pretty depressing, I didn't even try because I didn't want to pay $34 for a buffet of things like hot dogs and burgers... Other than that, it was the pool, the Odyssea (which I think refers you to the Hudson & Nash menu online,) the Starbucks, Sweet Things, The Cannery (they have drinks/sandwiches/salads/etc.) or room service. I do rather miss the Vela now.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 06:04:40 PM by Iris »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2022, 07:03:38 AM »

Yes it was great not to be charged that resort fee. They also helped me at checkout by linking my account properly and removing the internet fees.

The only self note for next time is to request a second chair right when checking in. We only had one and it was a bit annoying with regard to using the table to eat in the room (which was most of our meals), but requested it too late I think. Maybe a microwave as well.

We had a great view of the bay and of the Dragonball offsite, including the long lines that were there most days - we were also able to text friends when the line looked short  ;D