Author Topic: Booted from Town and Country  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
Re: Booted from Town and Country
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 05:35:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Seems like a lot. They’ve torn a bunch of it down which they should have known about before booking people L idk You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

its not that they didn't know there was construction they didn't know how long it was actually gonna take until it was too late. Though it was pretty obvious driving past it on the 8 they weren't gonna get the rooms done. I figure the later announcement was because of actually securing a hotel to transfer the people to.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 05:38:28 PM by Carlo »

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 06:08:56 AM »
They should have tried to negotiate with MGH or Hilton Gaslamp.  Those hotels have TONS of rooms outside of Onpeak. 

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:29:21 PM »

Offline ccparka

• Exhibit Hall
    • Vertical Slice Media
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 09:16:36 AM »
I would absolutely push for a downtown hotel. You could make the argument that plans this late cannot be changed and you shouldn't be put farther from the convention center because the hotel which originally promised your reservation now cancelled on you. Plus you have a rare opportunity to get something out of onpeak, which honestly doesn't seem to do the majority of us any favors.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 10:43:07 AM »
I would absolutely push for a downtown hotel. You could make the argument that plans this late cannot be changed and you shouldn't be put farther from the convention center because the hotel which originally promised your reservation now cancelled on you. Plus you have a rare opportunity to get something out of onpeak, which honestly doesn't seem to do the majority of us any favors.

The new hotel is closer to the Convention Center and it's actually an upgrade. He's now downtown instead of out in MV. It's not the Gaslamp, but a really short and cheap Lyft ride down Harbor Drive to all the nightlife and action if he chooses and also right next to Liberty Station which is a new hotbed of activity in SD as well.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 11:17:49 AM »
The new hotel is closer to the Convention Center and it's actually an upgrade. He's now downtown instead of out in MV. It's not the Gaslamp, but a really short and cheap Lyft ride down Harbor Drive to all the nightlife and action if he chooses and also right next to Liberty Station which is a new hotbed of activity in SD as well.

Upgrade on the hotel itself yes, but location wise not really.  Glad they at least added the hotel to the shuttle route for him.  As far as liberty station goes.  Yea really cool place but he's really not THAT close to it.  From the looks of it he'd have to walk across a bridge  and thru the south side of liberty station which is mostly residential and hotels like the courtyard to get to the fun stuff on the north side of liberty station.  For example it'd be a 1.6 mile / 28 minute walk according to google to get to Stone from his hotel.
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 11:20:33 AM »
Agree I would have been excited for this upgrade...but just me.

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 01:12:51 PM »
Best part of the switch is the shuttle route is in front of the convention center and not Petco. I’ve been on the real route though and found it much easier to lyft to the convention and shuttle back to the hotel
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 01:17:24 PM »
I booked early bird and haven't received anything saying they've moved me.  For now, I'm assuming I'm ok since the hotel is still open, just not all of the rooms.  I've requested the rooms in the tower that was renovated three or so years ago the past few times I've stayed and those rooms are pretty nice and not musty or anything (plus have mini-fridges). 

Offline jeffa

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2019, 08:28:06 PM »
Agree I would have been excited for this upgrade...but just me.
I think this happens more than we see reported here. A few years back, I had a very similar message, that my non-downtown hotel room was unavailable, and they would change my reservation and cover the difference in rates.

I perked up when I saw that the replacement hotel was the MMM. 8)  So I was indeed excited for the upgrade. (Though, when I arrived MMM too was overbooked and they sent me to Courtyard for the first night.)

I prefer hotels on the Teal Route over anything in Mission Valley because the shuttle pulls up to the CC Hall B/C instead of Petco. Hampton has a free airport shuttle, but indeed it's not all that close to the attractions of Liberty Station.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 11:21:56 PM »
It is gonna be a $4 lyft ride tops if you don't wanna walk the mile to Liberty station.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2019, 03:53:57 AM »
And Hop Con is at Stone Thursday night! As someone mentioned before, there's IDW and Comikazie comic book shop, and I think there's a movie night there in Liberty Station.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 12:05:06 PM »
With all the hotel releases, I'd call them and see if get a downtown.

Offline tragedys

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 01:13:21 PM »
Thanks for all the good vibes. Keeping positive was hard after the initial shock.  You all have won me (and the wife) over on this new hotel.  sadly on peak was zero help but in the end, I'm still going to SDCC so it's not too bad.  so...Gorram...close!  See y'all there!