Author Topic: Now that it's over...  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9653
Now that it's over...
« on: July 24, 2023, 04:04:30 PM »
What did everyone think of this year's SDCC, given the WGA/SAG strikes?

Offline MandoSaves

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
Re: Now that it's over...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 04:23:30 PM »
This was the most different comic con for sure. I could definitely feel the absence of Hollywood and lack of celebrities especially with the cancellation of many panels any celebrities. Out on the exhibit hall it felt more crowded than ever. Hoping that by next year's SDCC this strike will finally be resolved.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:42:41 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9653
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 07:16:22 PM »
This is my review of this (very different) con.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 07:54:35 PM »
It was indeed a very different SDCC especially from my personal perspective.  I’ve been on medical leave the entire year and had symptoms flare up and hinder my enjoyment of the event.    Also lost my backpack with that day’s supply of medications on Friday (fortunately I got it back the next day).   

It was also my first time having an Ada attendant.  I asked my sibling if she would be willing to back in April when it looked like I’d have quite a lengthy leave.     Ended up having to game plan a schedule for her on top of one for me (and we all know how much work goes into planning just for yourself).     She ended up enjoying the SDCC experience (1st timer) and we ended up with so many core memories though they’re of the “You and I remember Budapest very differently”  variety.     

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 601
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 11:33:06 PM »
I had a good time at this year's SDCC. I usually go for B20/6BCF/Indigo-grade panels w/ a focus on animation and fortunately most of these were intact. Although most of them had lighter panels or skipped panels altogether, we got more advance screenings than usual and they were of full episodes (and in many cases two full episodes). Panel swag was above average. I generally avoid offsites but it looks like the offsites really brought their swag A-game this year too.

Crowdwise, while the empty Hall H line/chutes was noticeable, I didn't notice much a difference for other panels. People had been saying that they had trouble getting into smaller panels (and I believe them for the ones they went to) but that wasn't my experience at all. I did B20 on Thurs/Sat and Indigo on Friday, and these filled up at exactly the same time they do on a regular year...Thursday the HBO Max animation panel was a walk in, Ghosts was a walk in until near the end, WWDITS was full but quite a few people cleared out in time for Archer, and then Archer filled up quickly. Friday, Indigo was a walk in all morning for the first 3 panels and didn't get full until the hour before Rick & Morty. Saturday. Futurama filled up as the panel started and then almost completely cleared out. Plenty of empty seats for American Dad; Family Guy looked like it was starting to get full again.

The one panel that I did attend that I had to wait in line for was Krapopolis, but I believe that was intentional on the studio's part as they put it in 5AB this year, probably to ensure a full room for the premieres. (To compare, last year it wasn't even finished and they had put it in 6BCF.) Also, they gave away a pretty awesome shirt which they probably had a limited quantity of. Even then...the line wasn't that bad. It started at 8, I got in line at 7:20 and it looked long but I got in fairly easily once Robotech cleared out. Krapopolis did fill up but based on the seats left, I estimate people who got in line by 7:45-7:50 made it in, maybe even a bit later.

This year, I noticed a lot more nighttime programming/screenings, especially on Thursday/Friday. Usually there isn't anything on Thursday I'm interested in after 7 or 8, and Friday too other than the DC Animated Premiere. However...this year, I had to make hard choice on both Thursday and Friday night. On Thursday, After Krapopolis, both the Venture Bros. animated movie and the Twisted Metal premiere were on at 10. I went to the Venture Bros, which wasn't too full in 6BCF. On Friday, in addition to the DC Animated Premiere (Warworld), there was also a screening of Invincible and the World Premiere of Sand Land, a new anime movie from the creator of Dragon Ball. As much as I look forward to the DC movies, I went with Sand Land as the stakes were higher...the director and producer came in from Japan, and it's getting a release in Japanese theatres next month. It turned out to be a good choice. They also gave out what I think was the best swag of any panel, which was as T-shirt, lanyard/pin, and a cap that says Sand Land World Premiere. I was a bit disappointed that they triple booked on Thursday and Friday night but only had one animated premiere on Saturday night (Babylon 5 animated movie, which was cool) and then did an encore of Babylon 5 on Sunday rather than any of the ones that were triple booked...but whatever. Hard choices are part of this thing.

I went to a couple of small panels: one called "We Made a Movie in Hungary for $59,000" promoting a movie called "D*cks" (The * is not an edit, it's actually how the movie is written...lol), then after scouring the schedule a bit more I found two worth attending on Sunday: a preview of the new Gamera animated Netflix show, and the spotlight panel on comic writers/artists Stjepan and Linda Šejić. They were a riot. All of those were walk-ins and I didn't see too many lines in the area.

What was definitely more packed was the exhibit hall. That said...it felt like it took a step forward this year. There were many top-to-bottom displays (which were very rare last year) and it felt like there was a lot more going on. I got into the Diablo experience without too much of a line. The first room was lame but the second room was pretty cool. My favorite purchase this year was the Flat Bonnie handmade Capybara plush. I was also able to get the Hallmark Krrsantan ornament Sunday afternoon with no line (and the Hasbro offsite shop Krrsantan Black Series figure with no line...it felt like Hasbro wasn't as popular as they had anticipated.) I also picked up a couple of cool records from Mondo. The one booth that I struck out from was 100% Soft. All the Dumpster Fire exclusives & first releases were gone by the time I was able to get in. However, it wasn't a total fail, as I was still able to get the exclusive non-DF Kevin, and the non-exclusive Yellow DF -AND- Truck was at the booth to sign them...so that was cool!

I did get over to one offsite that I stumbled upon by accident. Friday afternoon I went to get lunch and there was a person holding a sign for free Beer and Tacos at Mission Brewery sponsored by Gala Games, so I walked over, there was no line, and they were indeed giving away free beer and tacos without too much difficulty...you just had to download a couple apps to get free tacos, and post on social media to get a free beer. They were also giving away t-shirts and pint glasses.

Overall, it was a solid con. But the absence of the actors was felt. I like listening to the Directors/Producers but the panels were getting a bit one dimensional with only that perspective. Likewise...I don't prefer too many actor-only panels, which are common at other conventions. The best panels in my view are ones with many kinds of people involved in the show. As such, this wasn't the best SDCC I've been to, but it wasn't the worst either. I was able to get into pretty much everything I tried to without too much difficulty, and there was more than enough to keep myself occupied the entire time.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-23 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-23 | RCCC 15 21-22 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-23 | SWC 15

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 10:20:53 AM »
It started off great for me.  Since I was just happy to be back.  Thursday was probably the best day, I only did offsites.  Friday was my first and best day actually going into convention center, but even on Friday I spent about a third of my time at offsites.  The rest of the time I wandered the exhibit hall.  Which if I didn't know companies had not attended, I wouldn't have guessed at first.  It was packed with people and exhibits.  Saturday was an OK day.  I only spent 1.5 hours downtown.  I've talked about my panel experience elsewhere.  I briefly wandered the offsites but the lines were so long that I thought better of it.  Sunday, I only went down for the Talk Back panel.  I was pretty much done by that point but since I had a badge for Sunday, the CB in me couldn't just not use it at all.

I normally experience post con depression.  I don't have any of that this year.  I was pretty much done even on Saturday.  I think I had 2 days more in badges than I needed.  I'm glad I cut down my 4 day + PN full badge set when the WGA strike happened.

Offline jacmaryang

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 05:15:33 PM »
I had a great time this year even though it was different. The exhibit hall felt a lot more crowded than previous years but I always enjoy exploring and finding new booths and artists. I did more offsites this year (primarily ones which I had reservations for or was walk in). I didn't stand in any long lines as there wasn't really anything I wanted to purchase or booth experiences I wanted to do. It was fun catching up with friends and doing new things that we haven't been able to do due to lining up and being in Hall H.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 09:01:47 PM »
The thing about SDCC that has always been special is that it is a different con for everyone and different people like different things.  There's so much there.

My first SDCC was in the year 2000.  I came because I heard that my favorite show at the time--Farscape--was having a panel.  They filmed that show in Australia and none of the cast had ever done a U.S. con before.  The actual panel was in a small room and they only had a few actors and the executive producers.  Other than SciFi (before it was called Syfy), the only networks there were Cartoon and Nick.  There was no big movie panels.  But, they had Trailer Park.  I loved the con so much, I came back the next year.  And the next.  And so on.  The fact that it was in San Diego was a big draw.

While it's great that the con grew into a Hollywood extravaganza, that change came with some drawbacks.  Big panels = big lines and a lot of hoops to jump through.  Eventually, I felt that I spent more time in line for these panels than inside the panels themselves.  So, a few years before Covid, I just stopped going to any panel that required too much line waiting.  I found I was happier waiting in line less and in panels more, even if those panels weren't the biggest ones.  I discovered hidden gems and enjoyed them.

All that being said, this year was good for me.  I went to Hall H for the first time in years.  Maybe those panels weren't as "special" as in the past, but I didn't lose a lot of time getting into them.  I went to a few offsites.  I had some great meals in the city.  My yearly trip to San Diego is a vacation for me and not just a convention.  Unless something comes up to prevent me from coming next year, I will come.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 601
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 10:50:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
While it's great that the con grew into a Hollywood extravaganza, that change came with some drawbacks.  Big panels = big lines and a lot of hoops to jump through.  Eventually, I felt that I spent more time in line for these panels than inside the panels themselves.  So, a few years before Covid, I just stopped going to any panel that required too much line waiting.  I found I was happier waiting in line less and in panels more, even if those panels weren't the biggest ones.  I discovered hidden gems and enjoyed them.

Same here. Waiting in line makes me feel like I’m wasting the expensive and hard to get badge I paid for so I rarely do it. My current philosophy, in particular on Fri/Sat, is to figure out which single room has the most panels I want to see (with some weight given towards how interesting I think the panels I’m not necessarily going for will be), then get there early enough to get into the room and stay all day. Most of the time, for pretty much anything other than Hall H, getting there right before or during the first panel works just fine.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-23 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-23 | RCCC 15 21-22 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-23 | SWC 15

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2023, 11:59:05 PM »
I enjoyed my time this year and did a lot of offsides which I normally don't do. The exhibit floor seemed way more crowded and some of the offsides lines were like waiting to get into a hall h panel. Felt more exhausted this year partially due to not being seated inside of a room most of the day. I did miss the Hollywood presence. I went to a few smaller panels but would like to see more actors next year so hoping the strikes end soon.

Also I lined up for the Krapoplis panel at 7:45 and did not get in. Also had rsvp. Was a big mess for people that showed up later.

Offline hoserzgirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 12:13:20 AM »
I love that every year is different, but definitely felt the most crowded in the exhibit hall near the artist alley areas. Some of the artists had lines waiting for commissions or autographs. I loved the variety they had and the choices to buy were reasonable. I overhead one small artist saying he was having his best year ever, and an attendee saying " I just get excited to buy something knowing one day this artist is going to blow up and I got a piece way back when". So that was cool. I think this was all good for the artists, and I hope it carries on next year when the actors come back. Then maybe the organizers can think about giving them more walking room. The Funkoville was very special interactive area this year and it could have also used more space. It was hard to see the kids have to be protected from overzealous adults trying to get exclusives, even on Sunday which has traditionally been "kids day".
I also went to a Star Trek play which was the most comic con thing I have every done in the 11+ years I have been going. It was so funny and clever and actually put on by a fan group which was cool. I hope they keep doing it and will make it a point to catch it next year if I get to go.

Offline Berts

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 142
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 10:54:44 AM »
I had a blast but I was very bummed about the lack of Hollywood presence. I don't even engage in most of the Hollywood stuff and I don't do Hall H, but it brings a certain excitement and elevation to the con that I love. I'm one of the few who wishes there was a bigger mass media/hollywood presence at SDCC. The crazier, the better to me. I love the absolute pandemonium and sense of discovery when things are bonkers and less laid back.

Offline chachime45

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 01:00:41 PM »
I stayed out in Mission Valley for the first time since 2017, and it made this con feel a bit off. Normally I don't mind that trolley ride in but it somehow seemed longer this time (it wasn't, it just felt that way).

I missed Hop Con this year, but a group of us got together and went to Stone Kettner and just had one anyway. That night, getting back to my hotel on my own, was the first time I ever felt unsafe on one of these trips ... I can take care of myself and I always have my head on a swivel but I was (more than) a bit tipsy. I felt like a few crumbums were sizing me up ... my own fault for being in that situation but I just don't expect it there during Comic Con week.

But I also like to buy a few comics on this trip and I got some really nice deals for a change. And I have been wearing a lot of RSVLTS shirts and I bought a couple. I met up with several of my wonderful friends out there, and I made a few new line buddies. Overall, a really great time even though it was probably my least favorite SDCC. Even when it's off, it's still great and I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 246
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2023, 02:05:19 PM »
" Even when it's off, it's still great and I wouldn't miss it for the world." Truer words were never spoken. I was very disappointed the cast of "Archer" wasn't there for a proper send off. Same with Doc Hammer for "Venture Bros". The "Futurama" cast would have been hilarious. I spent the least amount at the con ever. Got "Alf" at Neca with no line. Only exclusive worth getting. I did settle one question. After schlepping from the con to the Bayfront parking garage in the heat and humidity I can safely say Convention Center parking is the best. :drinking25:

Offline waltbionik

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2023, 05:50:25 AM »
I didn't really notice a huge difference with the strikes going on. The only thing that was impacted, for me, was the "Marvel: Next Big Thing" panel. Usually, I can get in with no problem, but this year I was unable to get in. It was in Room 6AB, the line was literally down the back stairs of the convention center. I've never seen that many people lined up for a comic BOOK panel.
But, someone in line said people probably saw "Marvel" and lined up.
I also missed Sideshow Collectibles. They have the best statues and I really missed their presence on the convention floor.