Author Topic: Toys “R” Us: U.S. Closure, Return as Tru Kids Brands, In Macy's  (Read 17050 times)

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
Re: Toys “R” Us To Wind Down U.S. Business
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Have to make a point to go by the haunted Toys R Us in Sunnyvale.
Or maybe not...

"A TRU spokesperson told CNN Money earlier today that there will be a delay and that liquidation sales will likely begin Friday now. No further info was given. So it still seems the liquidation sales will happen."

Update from io9

"Update: Though it was widely reported that Toys ‘R’ Us’ liquidation sales were slated to begin today, multiple people were met with signs stating that that’s not the case because the actual date of the sales has not yet been settled. When I spoke with multiple Toys “R” Us associates at various stores today, they gave me similar responses suggesting that while the sales might not begin today they are still supposed to be happening at some point."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:26:56 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 11:01:30 AM »
So it's been put on ice? Temporarily frozen?

(sorry)

Ironically, one i went to the other day has a huge "WE'RE HIRING" sign on the front of the store.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 12:34:29 PM »
Yea, i read stuff online and see news of it and they are trying to find any buyers to run any of the stores by chance and close any no one wants any at time. stuff wont be that cheap that fast i have read and seeing we in days of ebay lol be alot of reasalers i guess clearing all they can to resale and profit any if they think it worth doing at time. i may be wrong but that just how i see things now days. i see stuff posted for cheap at place on here but where i live i dont think many around are flippers unless certain stuff they see they cause profit from over nite cause people sometimes rather buy online then go to actual store and get any and save some money by chance. so gues just gotta call store if wanna and see what they will tell u any at time.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
Sad to hear.

A 25-year-old Lazarus opened Children's Bargain Town in 1948 and began selling baby furniture in Washington, D.C. The store gradually ventured into selling toys, and Lazarus opened the first Toys R Us in 1957.

Lazarus chose the iconic backward "R" to mimic the handwriting of children.

Lazarus took the company public in 1978 and built a brand that left an impression on generations of "Toys R Us kids." Lazarus stepped away as chairman and CEO in 1994.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:58:57 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 07:39:54 PM »
Liquidation Information
Customer FAQ
To view Toys"R"Us, Inc. Cleansing Materials, click here.
Please check back for regular updates.

1. Is my local store still open? • Yes. All our stores are currently open and serving customers. • We expect liquidation sales to begin on March 23, 2018.

2. Will there be a going-out-of-business sale? • Yes. Liquidation sales are expected to begin on March 23, 2018.

3. Will you still host store events, including Babies First Easter events? • All store events have been cancelled effective March 22, 2018.

4. Can I still make purchases through the website? • Yes. The Company’s web stores are currently open and customers can continue to shop on them for a limited time.

5. What happens if I placed an order online, but haven’t received it yet? Will it still be delivered? • Customers can expect to receive any orders that have already been placed.

6. I ordered goods on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and it is very delayed. When will it come? • We did have some delays in delivery and are working with our vendors to arrange delivery for these orders as soon as possible.

7. Will customers be able to use their loyalty rewards toward purchases? • No. Customers will no longer be able to use Rewards coupons, effective March 22, 2018.

8. Will customers be able to continue to earn loyalty rewards? • No. You may see points accrue on your account, but please know that these points cannot be redeemed any longer. We apologize for any confusion this may cause. • Endless earnings, in the form of e-gift cards, will be accepted for another 30 days, effective March 23, 2018.

9. What if I have accumulated points that have not been paid out? Can I get my points sent out to me now/early? • Our Endless Earnings program will continue to be honored through and including April 21, 2018.

10. Will customers who signed up for a Toys“R”Us credit card still receive the same benefits? • Customers can continue to use their Toys“R”Us credit card for through the end of the liquidation sales. • However any rewards or discounts previously associated with the cards will no longer be accepted/provided.

11. Will we still be accepting gift cards during this closing? • Gift cards, including e-gift cards, will continue to be honored through and including April 21, 2018. • Gift cards from Canada will no longer be accepted in the U.S. effective March 22, 2018.

12. Will we still be accepting coupons during this closing? • We’re no longer accepting any coupons in our stores or online, effective March 22, 2018.

13. What about Geoffrey Birthday Club? • We’re no longer accepting coupons – including Geoffrey Birthday Club coupons, in our stores or online, effective March 22, 2018.

14. What about the coupons distributed in the recent direct mail/Easter catalog? • We’re no longer accepting coupons – including Geoffrey Birthday Club coupons, in our stores or online, effective March 22, 2018.

15. Can I redeem my gift card or coupon for cash? • No, gift cards and coupons cannot be returned for cash.

16. Will closing stores be able to complete price adjustments for purchases made before the announcement? • No, unfortunately once liquidation sales start, all sales are final.

17. What are return policies at closing stores? • We are continuing to accept returns under our normal policies for any purchases made at non-closing stores or online until April 21, 2018. • However, any purchases made during store closing sales (including those store closings that have been in process at certain stores for the last few months and those that are beginning on Thursday, March 22) are all final and returns will not be accepted. • Gift cards cannot be returned for cash.

18. Will there be special pricing, promotions or policies? • Yes, we will offer deep discounts and promotions. • Gift cards will continue to be honored through and including April 21, 2018. • Any purchases made during the store closing process are final at sale.

19. Who will handle customer complaints at the closing stores? • Our store team members and company Customer Service department are continuing to assist you with customer complaints.

20. What will happen to items on layaway at affected stores? • We are providing notices to customers with items on layaway. • Upon receipt of that notice, customers will have 21 days to either pay the remaining balance due and retrieve their product, demand a refund on any deposit, or forfeit the product and their deposit. • If customers don’t take any action, the liquidators will have the right to sell the product as part of the liquidation after the 21 day notice period.

21. What happens to my registry at Babies“R”Us? • We will not be accepting new registrants, however existing registrants can continue to access their registries while the webstore remains open. • The web store is currently open for a limited time. • We encourage you to save or write down the products on your registry as soon as possible so you will have a list of those products you wanted before the registry is turned off.

22. Where can customers go if they have additional questions? • For questions about products, warranties or rewards, customers in the U.S. should continue to contact our Customer Service Department at 1 (800) TOYSRUS or 1 (800) 869-7787 between the hours of 8 AM and 11 PM ET. • International customers can contact their local Customer Service teams as usual. If customers have questions regarding the financial restructuring process, or for information about which stores will be affected, they can visit our newsroom site at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 10:20:38 PM »
Re: No. 12 and No. 16

I didn't get a chance to go in today.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 11:20:11 AM »
I was thinking of checking the store close to me but knowing i not been to one since i used to work at one lol, all i can see is hi price stuff if any and resalers filling carts to charge more for it then at a store really. seeing how we in world of greed and ebay in ways, i no fan of flippers who wanna charge more then what somehting is really worth. i been through a store closing before and it can be nuts cause traffic wanna get stuff as cheap as possible cause those try get rid of stuff are just pushing it out door and get as much as they can for what they do. i may check later just for fun of it and see how empty the place is by chance if still open , then can go other places so not a wasted day really.

Sux how by chance the one who discover the brand passed and all. im sure will still have the ads and tune in our minds anytime we check u tube by chance. how many toy stores are there really anymore. now it all just clumped with everything else, so one stop shopping now days.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 04:54:44 PM »
I just haven’t been able to bring myself to visit the local TRU this past week. 

However, favorite TRU memories as mentioned in the start of the thread, I definitely can do.   Up until I moved away 3 years ago, there was a location here in the Los Angeles area that opened up in late ‘96 and by estimation, I’ve visited at least 500 times and spent a countless amount of money there.    My best experience would be from what some would consider the golden age of Star Wars figure collecting (late 90’s to 2005) and befriending so many of the fellow collectors that frequented that store.   The fandom was so different back then, so incredibly different!   

I also attended the episode one midnight madness there and will cherish so many memories of shopping at that store.   

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »
When the store close to me closes, then there will really be no toy stores in town to check out any even though i never went to since i was let go from job years back. only recent i got toys like lego cause of a posting on forum of them at 99 cent store lol so i guess i splurged or spent to get some cause wasnt sure if ever get any later if traffic found them and just cleared shelf to resale and profit etc. so yea it sux a classic toy store closing :( , kinda like comic shops we had around area closed overtime for whatever reason reason. but happy i have checked out any i can get to and know which ones like most really and what to expect when get to any .

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 03:15:19 PM »
We went yesterday. Everything I was looking at was 10% off (except Lego-those were 5%). Everything was somewhat picked over. The WB Mystery Minis were all gone. It was very sad, we visited TRU at least once a month, sometimes more. There are some local toy stores, and my local comic shop (Titan Moon Comics) has a great supply of action figures and Funko, so I guess they will be my go to.

I picked up the Funko TRU exclusive Cthulhu plush, a Marvel comics calendar, and a couple of Lego sets (the $10ish sets with two mini-figures). We may go back again when the savings go up to see what's left, but who knows.
Ang

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 01:58:36 PM »
This really sucks. I like being able to look over my action figures for good paint and unbent accessories. You can't do that through the internet.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 02:55:12 PM »
Not sure when they expect to have all inventory sold since im sure they wont get any more trucks since they are closing. guessing all the reall good stuf be gone before they really are closed since that start slow and as said 10 percent off and it goes higher ea week since i read they start retail value and then discount from that so even if i tried to check store i have no clue what be left lol. i can hope for something but no rush if next week be like only 2o or 3o percent off by chance. so really wont know till i check and see what gems if any are left lol.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 07:58:55 PM »

To view Toys"R"Us, Inc. Store Closure List, click here. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 12:06:58 PM »
I thinking of going and checking to see what is left and how cheap it is really if at all. i was told they had trucks come in cause was trying to empty warehouses of boxes where companies send their stuff to for drivers to take to stores and fill shelves. i have told a buddy i can try check and just be open to what might be left do to how cheap stuff might be and hope resalers dont try like buy it all cause just resale for profit and all. i know there are more then resalers like reg traffic not mind having some new to enjoy and not have to go elsewhere or pay alot just cause off ebay any. so later check what i can or go elsewhere so day not a total loss.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 07:19:56 AM »
This is soooo sad.  I have many memories of taking my kids there just to look around and maybe I would discover something cool for myself.  We even stood outside when the Star Wars merchandise for the first prequel came out.  ::sigh::
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia