Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion  (Read 74458 times)

Offline Namron83

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
Re: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 09:55:05 AM »
Did anyone else stay or have stayed at Kona Kai?
They've been holding over $1400 since check in last week. They were supposed to release it that day. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue.

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 10:55:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They've been holding over $1400 since check in last week. They were supposed to release it that day. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue.

It probably has more to do with your bank than the hotel.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 11:14:28 AM »

Offline Namron83

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 11:16:07 AM »
It probably has more to do with your bank than the hotel.
Its PayPal. Hotel didn't tell me I was being charged $1400 when I checked in last Wednesday. That was almost all of what I was spending for the week right there. Every hotel I've been to only puts a $100 authorization hold, so when I found out they took that much, my friend used his card to switch with mine. The hotel said it would immediately be released. First three days I spent on the phone with PayPal and talking to hotel staff and management to get papers faxed to release the hold. When we checked out on Monday, we found out both cards were charged $1400 and would then be released immediately. Its been 4 days and still nothing.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 01:12:18 PM »
Given that the NDL is at the Marina, MGH wouldn't be too bad for Hall H shifts and wristbands.  Last year was a bit brutal when it was near the Adult Swim on the Green.  Hopefully the renovations are long done by next year, as I wouldn't mind another stay at MGH.  I'm also more prepared for the walk this time as our new office has a similar distance from the subway.

I did my Hard Rock stint this year.  My brother wasn't too pleased with the room itself but you can't beat the location or the ability to gawk.  I personally wouldn't mind staying there again but felt my room at MGH was better.  The best room I've ever had in that area was MMM but that hotel was a little too big and chaotic. 

Offline Requia

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2019, 02:13:08 PM »
Given that the NDL is at the Marina, MGH wouldn't be too bad for Hall H shifts and wristbands.  Last year was a bit brutal when it was near the Adult Swim on the Green.  Hopefully the renovations are long done by next year, as I wouldn't mind another stay at MGH.  I'm also more prepared for the walk this time as our new office has a similar distance from the subway.

I did my Hard Rock stint this year.  My brother wasn't too pleased with the room itself but you can't beat the location or the ability to gawk.  I personally wouldn't mind staying there again but felt my room at MGH was better.  The best room I've ever had in that area was MMM but that hotel was a little too big and chaotic.
Did you get one of the rooms with a view of all the parties at Hard Rock? Haha

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Offline Roo_bear

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 02:54:26 PM »

Any hold longer than 2-3 days for any transaction is excessive. At this point I would call my bank, and not get off the phone until it was resolved.
Sdcc 2016,2017, 2019.

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2019, 06:58:47 PM »
Count me in for trying for the Omni again next year. It's my group's clear favorite.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Namron83

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2019, 11:46:58 AM »
Any hold longer than 2-3 days for any transaction is excessive. At this point I would call my bank, and not get off the phone until it was resolved.
Tried, told the same crap protocol 18 times. Can't do anything unless they receive a fax from the hotel. Telling the hotel to keep sending the fax for a 10th time isn't doing a thing. Just gotta wait the 21 business days aka a month.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2019, 09:36:27 AM »
just a reminder here- this thread is for discussion of next years hotels ..... LOL

there's a place for 2019 hotels and a thread for hotel reviews  ???

while we do enjoy the conversation, seriously we do enjoy it, it puts the moderating team is in a hard place... do we move the reviews to the review threads or move the discussion of folks stay's in this years hotels to 2019 hotel thread...

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Namron83

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2019, 10:08:42 AM »
just a reminder here- this thread is for discussion of next years hotels ..... LOL

there's a place for 2019 hotels and a thread for hotel reviews  ???

while we do enjoy the conversation, seriously we do enjoy it, it puts the moderating team is in a hard place... do we move the reviews to the review threads or move the discussion of folks stay's in this years hotels to 2019 hotel thread...

I only posted here cuz I swore I saw that 2019 thread locked. Anyways, I feel like a 2020 Hotel Thread is way too early as talking about any hotel is just going to lead to replies from past experiences, but thats just me.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2019, 04:07:24 PM »
Anyone else's Top 6 change based on your experience at SDCC 2019? In the past, I've usually left MGH off my list because I felt it was too far from the action compared to the other big ones downtown. But having stayed here this past SDCC, I'm definitely putting it on my list for next year, probably in the #2 or #3 slot. The distance to the con was never an issue, and in fact, it was closer to some of the end-of-lines than any other hotel except MMM. The way I judge "closeness" is that I can go back to my hotel midday, drop off stuff / get a quick bite to eat, and go back to the con without feeling like I've wasted a ton of time traveling. Strangely, going to/from the con from the pier-side seemed faster than the Harbor Drive side.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2019, 05:41:29 PM »
I only posted here cuz I swore I saw that 2019 thread locked. Anyways, I feel like a 2020 Hotel Thread is way too early as talking about any hotel is just going to lead to replies from past experiences, but thats just me.
ahhhh thx for the info. i did not realize the 19 thead had been locked-
Please disregard my earlier comments
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2019, 10:27:37 PM »
Anyone else's Top 6 change based on your experience at SDCC 2019? In the past, I've usually left MGH off my list because I felt it was too far from the action compared to the other big ones downtown. But having stayed here this past SDCC, I'm definitely putting it on my list for next year, probably in the #2 or #3 slot. The distance to the con was never an issue, and in fact, it was closer to some of the end-of-lines than any other hotel except MMM. The way I judge "closeness" is that I can go back to my hotel midday, drop off stuff / get a quick bite to eat, and go back to the con without feeling like I've wasted a ton of time traveling. Strangely, going to/from the con from the pier-side seemed faster than the Harbor Drive side.

Considering the Programming Premiums Room, potentially the volunteer shirt pickup room (if you volunteer) are both at the MGH, plus Fundays if you're really lucky. I would never personally leave it off. Also, being that it has the most rooms out of any hotel, you kind of know what to expect with it. Which again, is a good thing. Rather no surprises during any of my SDCC hotel stays.

Offline Thereisanother

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019, 12:57:40 AM »

Surprisingly yes! I’ve never gotten HBF until this yr and it was always my 1st choice since it’s closest to the tents. I think MMM is my first choice now. Don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining and would stay again but it wasn’t a game changer improving my experience that I thought it would be. It was nice to walk over for Sat Hall H but the rejoin line was so long I was still stuck waiting so not much of a time saver. The other days I did Hall H and NDL I had to walk to marina anyways. I think the real advantages would only be if I was camping out Hall H/showering in the morning or doing Indigo Ballroom... And as far as people saying “celebrities are in the lobby” after 5 yrs, I’ve just accepted I’m not going to see anyone. Up too early and my schedule is too tight to loiter in lobbies lol

Offline wolfgirl1272

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2019, 02:01:44 PM »
I have only stayed at HBF and HR and I know my group loves the HBF but considering we always try to get Fundays tickets I'm suggesting a move to the Hyatt to see how that works for us.