Author Topic: walking dead escape  (Read 27142 times)

Offline carmitch

• Exhibit Hall
  • Disabled CCI attendee
  • Liked: 0
Re: walking dead escape
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2013, 05:25:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There are some YouTube videos of the spectator area from last year.  From what I've seen, its basically just standing around and watching whatever part of the course is visible from the spectator area.

Hm, I'll keep that in mind.  Since I can't afford CC's prices, I am thinking of coming down that weekend and do all the stuff outside of the convention center, incl. the Escape.

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2013, 07:43:29 AM »
As you can see in the pic to your left  <-----, I wouldn't be able to be a walker or runner.  I am thinking of being a spectator.

Do spectators just stand there and watch?  What's all involved in that part?  Anything really physical?  Do we get to encourage the runners to run fast, etc.?  Any advice for spectators?  Is it worth the $20?
I spectated last year. Its not that great you don't really see much. I would put that $20 towards something else.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 10:54:05 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »
got an email offering the tickets for sale

survivor $75
walker $75
spectator $20
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2013, 10:43:10 AM »
It looks like volunteer spots are still available. Saturday is almost filled up. You get a T-shirt and you get to spectate for free, though you don't get any exclusives (unless perhaps you get chummy with the promoters or something). heehee 

Offline aodmisery

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »
got an email today from walking dead escape saying, "All The Walking Dead Escape San Diego participants will score a highly collectible, limited edition The Walking Dead Escape poster, image to be relased soon"

hopefully its pretty cool, so i can sell it on ebay :p

Offline AreTwo

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2013, 03:21:52 PM »
I did it last year and it was pretty cool. We did it during the day a couple of hours before the Zombie Walk because 1) I didn't have CC tickets for that day, and 2) I thought it might be interesting to do it before Zombie Walk because word is that people were getting made up as zombies, and then doing the Zombie Walk after their shift was over.

I'd echo what others said. It was a blast, though a little pricey. And you can ebay the comic book, though they weren't in the most mint of conditions when they handed them out. A local place was asking $100 for them with a note that they cost almost $100 to get originally (well, sure, but you weren't paying $100 for the comic book; you were paying for the event--but whatever).

I was a runner and it was really grueling. I thought I was in shape because I do a lot of 5Ks, but with all of the obstacles, you end up using a lot of muscles you don't usually use.

Not sure if I will do it again this year, though. I think it's worth the cost of doing it at least once, but if it's the same course this year--even if they've had a couple events since then to come up with new cool twists--I don't know if I'd want to plan around it again. (Plus, I have badges for Thu-Sun, and I don't want to get locked into this and have to pass up something else in CC proper.
SDCC 2012-2014, 2016-2018; Wondercon 2013-2019 Comikaze/LA Comic Con 2013-2017; LBCC & LBCE 2012-2018; Gallifrey One: 2017-2019

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2013, 03:18:20 PM »
Got an email for this event just now for this.  For the first 8,000 people (walkers and survivors) who sign up, you get a special edition copy of the novel Rise of the Governor.  Here is a copy/paste of the email.  Conveniently, I just registered for this as the email hit my inbox.

FREE   SPECIAL EDITION

"THE WALKING DEAD" NOVEL

The first 8,000 people to register* as a Walker or Survivor for The Walking Dead Escape San Diego receive a collectable copy of:

"The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor"
by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga

Presented by The Walking Dead Escape San Diego, St. Martin's Press and Skybound, this special edition novel will not be sold in stores.
 Register Now as a Walker or Survivor for The Walking Dead Escape
to take advantage of this limited time opportunity.

*Walkers and Survivors who are already registered will receive a copy of the novel

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2013, 03:35:45 PM »
Are you kidding me??? Holy Cow!! I want....and now I'll have to go to friggin' ebay and pay $100 and I'm none too happy. Fart fart fart. Anyone wanna trade?? I've got cookies!!!  :-\

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2013, 03:35:52 PM »
If it didn’t take away from Con time, I would sooooooooo be a walker.  Then I would leave the makeup on and go to a fancy restaurant, get a table for one, and freak out all the snooty people.

Maybe extra rare tri-tips.  In ketchup. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:39:26 PM by Chris Chen »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »
If it didn’t take away from Con time, I would sooooooooo be a walker.  Then I would leave the makeup on and go to a fancy restaurant, get a table for one, and freak out all the snooty people.

Maybe extra rare tri-tips.  In ketchup.

It shouldn't take away Con time. IIRC, they're only doing it in the evenings this year.

Offline Quislings

• Room 6BCF
    • Nerdophiles
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
Shoot, that means I need to stop waffling and figure out my night/time soon. Anyone else doing it at a certain time?
Managing Editor of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | SDCC (2013 - 2018) | NYCC (2014 - 2018) | Wondercon (2017) | AwesomeCon (2014)

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »
Are you kidding me??? Holy Cow!! I want....and now I'll have to go to friggin' ebay and pay $100 and I'm none too happy. Fart fart fart. Anyone wanna trade?? I've got cookies!!!  :-\

Why not just run the course?  Cost including fees and insurance (this is required by the event) ran about $87.  I think its the same price for walkers as well.  This would be much cheaper than scalping on ebay, although I would be doubtful the book would run that expensive.  Although I know nothing of how Comic Con exclusives prices fluctuate when they are being sold on eBay.

Offline aodmisery

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2013, 06:33:49 PM »
Why not just run the course?  Cost including fees and insurance (this is required by the event) ran about $87.  I think its the same price for walkers as well.  This would be much cheaper than scalping on ebay, although I would be doubtful the book would run that expensive.  Although I know nothing of how Comic Con exclusives prices fluctuate when they are being sold on eBay.
last year they gave out a comic book of walking dead issue #100 sdcc variant cover i sold mines on ebay for like $65 but i heard other people have gotten more for theirs

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2013, 06:54:33 PM »
last year they gave out a comic book of walking dead issue #100 sdcc variant cover i sold mines on ebay for like $65 but i heard other people have gotten more for theirs

I ran the course too and I remember getting one last year and the moment I stepped out, someone was offering $25 for my friend's and my copy.  We declined.  I enjoyed reading the issue, but haven't been following it or anything, but I thought it was well written and I could see why people are digging the comic.  With that said, I am a hoarder and I wonder if I should try to sell mine.  That price you listed would essentially pay for running the course.

Nah!

Offline CptMyCpt24

• Hall H
  • myth of the chupacabra is just that - utter crap
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2013, 07:49:11 AM »
Outside a guy offered me I think 65-70 to just about break even for the experience but I declined as well.
SDCC: 2011-2014, 2016-2019, 2022-| ECCC: 2015-2018, 2021 | WonderCon: ? | DragonCon: ? | NYCC: ?

Zim: Ummm, is it supposed to be stupid?
Tallest Purple: It's not stupid; [sarcastically] it's advanced!