Comic-Con International > SDCC Housing, Parking, and Transportation

SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion

<< < (3/113) > >>

accelerate:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginI would advise against MGH. It's the worst "downtown" hotel and the miles really add up on your body as the con wears on. And the last few years they've avoided any sort of branding on the elevators or any cool touches to make it feel like it's part of the campus. There's a reason that MGH pops up the most on the Onpeak site when people are still looking for a place to stay.

--- End quote ---

I posted this in the other Hotel thread, but I usually leave MGH off my list simply because it "felt" further away from the action than even hotels that were actually further away. I was basing this off my 2011 experience with the hotel. But through the generosity of another FOCC'er, I got MGH this year. And I was _very_ happy with the overall experience. For some reason, this year, MGH didn't feel nearly as far away from the con as it had the first time. Also, it was quite close to where some of the lines ended, especially the LEGO line. If you want to reach the end of the Hall H line, you could argue that MGH is actually closer to the end than Bayfront.

The other benefit of MGH is that it's quiet. My previous favorite -- Omni -- was always loud at night and loud in the morning. Even Westin Gaslamp was loud due to the Conan crowd. At MGH, I had no problems falling asleep or being rudely awakened by outside activity.

This is all to say, MGH is definitely going on my list for next year. I think my order will be: MMM -> MGH -> Bayfront -> Omni -> Marriott Gaslamp -> Hilton Gaslamp.

Darth_Primus:
Yeah, I too thought MGH was a long walk from the convention.  Probably because I usually stay at the other end of the convention center and have to make a round trip walking through the crowds.  But actually staying at the MGH and just walking to the con wasn't bad at all.   It helped the weather was very cool for July in San Diego.  We arrived on Tuesday afternoon and it was overcast, breezy and about 63 degrees.   We all needed to wear a jacket.

Friends of Comic Cons:
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

janray:
For me, anything but the MMM is a long walk. :D
We stayed at MGH this year thanks to a wonderful FOCC member who offered an extra room and we really enjoyed it.
It wasn't that much farther away and it was definitely quieter.   

dkd:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginI would advise against MGH. It's the worst "downtown" hotel and the miles really add up on your body as the con wears on. And the last few years they've avoided any sort of branding on the elevators or any cool touches to make it feel like it's part of the campus. There's a reason that MGH pops up the most on the Onpeak site when people are still looking for a place to stay.

--- End quote ---

It's funny how people want different things from their hotel.  This was my first year at MGH and I liked it much more than I thought I would:

* The walking not only didn't bother me, but I'm proud to say that I weigh less now than I did before the convention.  I'm a Fitbit person and my step counts were great.
* I don't want my hotel feel like it's part of the campus.  I got MMM last year and its my least favorite hotel because it feels like an extension of the convention center, particularly with the crowds and people sitting everywhere in the hallways.  MGH does have some con elements, but they aren't overpowering.
* Sally's Restaurant became my favorite place to chill out.  It was never crowded like the MMM restaurants are.  The bartenders started to recognize me by the end of the weekend and I even gave one of them my bag after he gave me a free drink.
Even so, I'm one of those people whose top choices are on the other side of the Tracks--close, but not too close--like the Solamar, Horton Grand, and Indigo.

TossedSalad:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginBayfront has a huge advantage since it's just across the street from the tents and would make camping out at right a lot more easier.

--- End quote ---

With the new hall h security checkpoint and return to line policy, this would make it a fantastic hotel for anyone camping for hall h or doing line groups. The morning return lines were brutal

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version