Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion  (Read 74463 times)

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion
« on: July 23, 2019, 02:08:19 PM »
Once again, what better way to combat the post con blues than by thinking about next year.

Do any of you have your backup hotel locked in?

Also-don't forget to submit your reviews from your stay this year! I will be posting more obnoxious reminders later today.
Ang

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 02:54:51 PM »
Do we post hotel reviews to the existing thread, or will there be a 2020-specific one?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:05:12 PM »

Offline Requia

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 03:26:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Once again, what better way to combat the post con blues than by thinking about next year.

Do any of you have your backup hotel locked in?

Also-don't forget to submit your reviews from your stay this year! I will be posting more obnoxious reminders later today.
Up until this year MMM was my top choice, but something felt different this time around. I'm thinking MGH or Bayfront for next year as my top choices.

My group had Hyatt, which I had other people use for the double beds since I ended up with a king at the Marriott.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:27:25 PM by Requia »

Offline Kira001

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 04:12:44 PM »
Bayfront has a huge advantage since it's just across the street from the tents and would make camping out at right a lot more easier.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 08:01:30 PM »
Do we post hotel reviews to the existing thread, or will there be a 2020-specific one?

The existing thread for hotel reviews, which I have linked above for reference, is fine.  Please use the formatting in the first post so that we can keep things organized and easy to read through.  ^__~

[member=364]Angology[/member], as forum moderator of this area, will be cataloguing all hotel reviews in her very awesomely compiled You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  We are so grateful to have her assist in this for the forum community.  (Thank you so much, Angology!)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 08:23:38 AM »
Bayfront has a huge advantage since it's just across the street from the tents and would make camping out at right a lot more easier.
2016 we stayed at the MMM, and while its right next to the CC, its on the opposite end of the tents which we found out is not as close of a walk as we thought it was.

2017-2019 we have stayed at the HBF, thanks to kindness members of FOCC helping us get this amazing hotel. fingers crossed i can get HBF again next year.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 08:50:08 AM »
Up until this year MMM was my top choice, but something felt different this time around. I'm thinking MGH or Bayfront for next year as my top choices.

I would advise against MGH. It's the worst "downtown" hotel and the miles really add up on your body as the con wears on. And the last few years they've avoided any sort of branding on the elevators or any cool touches to make it feel like it's part of the campus. There's a reason that MGH pops up the most on the Onpeak site when people are still looking for a place to stay.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 10:05:40 AM »
I would advise against MGH. It's the worst "downtown" hotel and the miles really add up on your body as the con wears on. And the last few years they've avoided any sort of branding on the elevators or any cool touches to make it feel like it's part of the campus. There's a reason that MGH pops up the most on the Onpeak site when people are still looking for a place to stay.

Well, shoot.  If you get MGH and don't want it next year, please give it to me.  ;)

Offline Darth_Primus

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 10:47:39 AM »
I stayed at the MGH this year and arrived on a Tuesday.   The initial room (standard 2 double beds) they put me in was on the 5th floor looking at the corn hole roof activity area.  It was really bad as it was a place used for smokers. The left over cigarette butts were dropped within a few feet under our window.   And the people hanging out on in this area could look right into our room.   It was very unsightly for me and my family, as well as uncomfortable with strangers having the ability to look directly into our hotel room.

I ended up calling guest services and requested another room.   They offered an upgraded room overlooking the convention center for an additional $25/night.   I jumped at that offer as I really couldn't bare any more time in that 5th floor room.

Staying in the upgraded room was well worth the cost for me and I enjoyed my stay at the MGH.   I the walk to the convention center was only a couple of blocks.   I just wish they didn't have to remodel the lobby during my stay there.

Offline Requia

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 10:55:37 AM »
I stayed at the MGH this year and arrived on a Tuesday.   The initial room (standard 2 double beds) they put me in was on the 5th floor looking at the corn hole roof activity area.  It was really bad as it was a place used for smokers. The left over cigarette butts were dropped within a few feet under our window.   And the people hanging out on in this area could look right into our room.   It was very unsightly for me and my family, as well as uncomfortable with strangers having the ability to look directly into our hotel room.

I ended up calling guest services and requested another room.   They offered an upgraded room overlooking the convention center for an additional $25/night.   I jumped at that offer as I really couldn't bare any more time in that 5th floor room.

Staying in the upgraded room was well worth the cost for me and I enjoyed my stay at the MGH.   I the walk to the convention center was only a couple of blocks.   I just wish they didn't have to remodel the lobby during my stay there.
The room we had this year for MGH was nice. It was on a higher floor, but the Bayside view was really nice. No hassles with checking in, except that it felt like I was checking in to a flight at the airport with curbside desk

I've stayed there in previous years, and it was actually the first downtown hotel I ever stayed at, it just always seemed like a longer walk than I would've liked for some reason. But lately I don't mind it. It's not as overly crowded as the Marriott has become, and there's still a lot to see and do.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 01:27:56 PM »

I posted this in the other Hotel thread, but I usually leave MGH off my list simply because it "felt" further away from the action than even hotels that were actually further away. I was basing this off my 2011 experience with the hotel. But through the generosity of another FOCC'er, I got MGH this year. And I was _very_ happy with the overall experience. For some reason, this year, MGH didn't feel nearly as far away from the con as it had the first time. Also, it was quite close to where some of the lines ended, especially the LEGO line. If you want to reach the end of the Hall H line, you could argue that MGH is actually closer to the end than Bayfront.

The other benefit of MGH is that it's quiet. My previous favorite -- Omni -- was always loud at night and loud in the morning. Even Westin Gaslamp was loud due to the Conan crowd. At MGH, I had no problems falling asleep or being rudely awakened by outside activity.

This is all to say, MGH is definitely going on my list for next year. I think my order will be: MMM -> MGH -> Bayfront -> Omni -> Marriott Gaslamp -> Hilton Gaslamp.

Offline Darth_Primus

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 12:19:56 PM »
Yeah, I too thought MGH was a long walk from the convention.  Probably because I usually stay at the other end of the convention center and have to make a round trip walking through the crowds.  But actually staying at the MGH and just walking to the con wasn't bad at all.   It helped the weather was very cool for July in San Diego.  We arrived on Tuesday afternoon and it was overcast, breezy and about 63 degrees.   We all needed to wear a jacket.

Offline janray

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 114
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 01:05:53 PM »
For me, anything but the MMM is a long walk. :D
We stayed at MGH this year thanks to a wonderful FOCC member who offered an extra room and we really enjoyed it.
It wasn't that much farther away and it was definitely quieter.   

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 01:12:32 PM »

It's funny how people want different things from their hotel.  This was my first year at MGH and I liked it much more than I thought I would:

• The walking not only didn't bother me, but I'm proud to say that I weigh less now than I did before the convention.  I'm a Fitbit person and my step counts were great.
  • I don't want my hotel feel like it's part of the campus.  I got MMM last year and its my least favorite hotel because it feels like an extension of the convention center, particularly with the crowds and people sitting everywhere in the hallways.  MGH does have some con elements, but they aren't overpowering.
  • Sally's Restaurant became my favorite place to chill out.  It was never crowded like the MMM restaurants are.  The bartenders started to recognize me by the end of the weekend and I even gave one of them my bag after he gave me a free drink.

Even so, I'm one of those people whose top choices are on the other side of the Tracks--close, but not too close--like the Solamar, Horton Grand, and Indigo.

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 09:38:24 AM »

With the new hall h security checkpoint and return to line policy, this would make it a fantastic hotel for anyone camping for hall h or doing line groups. The morning return lines were brutal
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face