Author Topic: TENET - Nolan's latest plowing ahead to open in theaters  (Read 3170 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
TENET - Nolan's latest plowing ahead to open in theaters
« on: June 04, 2020, 11:36:14 AM »
It seems that WB is moving full steam ahead to be the first studio to release a tent pole blockbuster film mid-July in the middle of a pandemic that USA is in no way in control of (as of early June, with cases spiking thanks to Memorial Day weekend festivities: and look for them to spike again in 10-14 days after early June saw protests in ALL 50 states).  Advertising is ramping up, which is a clear sign WB has the cojones to be "first" and release their huge movie in theaters.  There are some smaller releases planed for earlier in July, but TENET is the industry's litmus test to see if 1) theaters can exist with social distancing guidelines and 2) movie fans are comfortable going to a theater to see a movie.

While all of us can likely agree that movie theaters on their best days are in no way "pristinely up-kept" (sticky floors and seats; trash and food under seats; bathrooms that may or may be breeding grounds for germs in regular non-pandemic times), I suspect moviegoers may be divided as to wether or not they're willing to risk an infection (as well as infecting loved ones & strangers) to see Christopher Nolan's latest.

From an industry standpoint, we already have the largest theater chain in the world (AMC) on the verge of bankruptcy (one early April no less: meaning their situation has not improved), saying there's doubt they'll ever be able to financially recover enough to reopen for business.  Add the fact that Box Office split is in no way advantageous to theaters for opening weeks, AND the fact that theaters will likely run at significantly diminished capacity: it's hard at this time to think there is financial viability for a struggling movie theater (rather corporate or independent) to justify staffing & operating expenses running at such diminished capacity.  Few theaters, to the best of my knowledge, have laid out their detailed plans for reopening w/social distancing so it's hard to get a feel for what that'd even look like.

And add this: every other studio is using TENET to see if _they_ can release their movie now too.  TENET moving forward to theaters paves the way for Disney to release MULAN July 24th, as well as some smaller films the rest of the month.  Remember, WONDER WOMAN 1984 is currently slated for a mid-August release (which feels like WB kinda hedging their bets to me).

*this would be where I might make a joke about the plausibility of THE NEW MUTANTS actually being released in theaters in August 2020, or if it will be either delayed for a billionth time and/or released via streaming*

On the plus side for the industry, Christopher Nolan is a brand to himself, one of the most profitable in film.  At this point there's no reason to even worry this film won't be at the least fascinatingly entertaining, if not a masterpiece.  So it's even more tempting than a superhero film, or 'pop corn' type of movie easy to skip in theaters.  I think if TENET doesn't make bank, it spells significant(ly more) massive issues for the film industry

So what say you: will you go see this, skip it, or wait-and-see?  In the spirit of the unknown, I made settings allowing for changes, so if you plan on going in early June, and by July 4th there's a huge spike in COVID-19 cases (or you become smitten with "Hamilton" on Disney+ and watch it on repeat for the duration of the month) you can change your mind down the road.

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
Re: TENET - Nolan's latest plowing ahead to open in theaters
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 11:49:44 AM »

Me going to the theatre to see Tenet

Sent from my ???? using

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:26:03 AM »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 11:52:28 AM »
I'm staying home except for store runs and one volunteer job.  Going to movies is probably what I miss most, and I love Christopher Nolan.  If I'm going to go out, a movie would be why I would do it.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 12:05:15 PM »
Only way Ill be going is if I head on a small road trip to go to the drive in theater.

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 12:24:59 PM »
Tenet will only open in July if 80% of cinemas worldwide are open. Also, the majority of cinemas in New York and L.A. have to be open.
If that's not the case then Tenet will be pushed back to August in the WW84 slot.

As much as I want to see the film, and it would be cool having a Nolan film as first out of the gate, I'm under the impression it will be pushed.

Expect confirmation either way in the next couple of weeks.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 01:41:52 PM »
I don't go out except for food and medicine.  So I won't go.  But I have seen a lot of movies in theaters where there were just a few people there.  Including a few where I was the only person there.  Now with online seat selection, it's possible to see how full the theater is.  If there are only 5 people......

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 02:32:53 PM »
* UPDATE *

ALL of you should now answer "NO" since TENET has been moved back a couple of weeks.  I still think there's a better-than-average chance this will be pushed back further, given how many states are spiking as of the first 3rd of June (including CA, which features some major markets for the film industry that are NEEDED for this film to be financially viable).

Immediately after WB announced TENET moving, they also announced WONDER WOMAN 1984 would move from August-October, along with other dates that were bumped. This caused a slew of other films to push back their release dates as well.  So far all but Disney's late-July MULAN have moved, with many industry insiders speculating Disney will move the film to Disney+.  Though with a $200 million budget, I have my doubts - that's a _LOT_ of money for Disney to just 'eat' by dumping it to free/subscription streaming: especially with "The Mandalorian" Season 2 still on track for an October release, and Marvel's "Falcon and the Winter Solider" and "WandaVision" finishing filming, it feels like Disney+ has several "must-see" properties dropping seasons in the near future.

At this rate, it doesn't seem implausible to have a discussion "are tentpole films a thing of the past for awhile?"  I mean, we won't have a vaccine for at least 12 months, and that's if scientists are miraculously 4x faster getting a vaccine developed and ready for circulation than the previous record of 4 years (for The Mumps).

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 06:30:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my ???? using

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 11:43:24 PM »
Tenet hitting digital and physical on 15th December.

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 05:21:44 PM »
Anyone actually seen it yet?

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 06:22:26 PM »
I have and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 07:51:13 AM »
Twice in a theatre.
Outstanding. Pure Nolan. A film that doesn't dumb down. Intelligent filmmaking that makes you lean in. Also, the inversion special effects are jaw dropping.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 08:34:04 AM »
Twice in a theatre.
Outstanding. Pure Nolan. A film that doesn't dumb down. Intelligent filmmaking that makes you lean in. Also, the inversion special effects are jaw dropping.
I totally agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 08:54:40 AM »
I disagree. Saw it in IMAX and the visuals and action were great. The story was very confusing and muddled. After a while I just sat back and enjoyed the action. "Inception" had a story you could follow. The lead actor was pretty bland too.

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 07:42:56 AM »
I saw it at the drive-in. Not quite the IMAX experience(bugs and the faint smell of marijuana coming through my open car window). I wondered if a lot of people  had seen it since there wasn’t much mention of it here after the premiere. I enjoyed it, although I felt there were some inconsistencies with the main plot point which bothered me.  Won’t go into details to avoid being a spoiler. 
Pro tip for going to the drive-in:  take a battery powered boom box or FM radio.  My car radio shut downs after 20 minutes, requiring me to crank my car up every so often to avoid missing dialogue.

Sent from my ???? using