Comic-Con International > SDCC Registration and Badges

SDCC 2013 On-Site Pre-Reg -- Yes people are talking already

(1/17) > >>

Trev:
I'm new to these boards and wanted to say I think it's a great project to take on. People are already talking about what will happen for 2013 at the Con this year. On one board I frequent, a boardie was putting out fud saying that there would be no on-site pre-reg this year.

That got me to want to see if anything had been announced since last year when a CCI Board Member mentioned this and CCI kind of retracted it. I found a comment I had made on The Beat where I quoted the CCI response on their FB page directly and realized that there was no great way to search out this info -- until I found this board!

Anyway, what do folks think? I'm very much hoping that they leverage the member ID system and the process they are trying this year with general ticket sales to allow folks at the con this year to re-up for next year with less standing in line. Last year I encouraged them to just allow re-ups when you pick up your badge, which would have been super easy for 80% of the use cases, but no luck.

alyssa:
Can you do us a favor and post the actual information you found, like from the CC I board member etc all in this thread? Don't just post links cuz they go bad...;)
I set the board up so we could find and reference that exact type of info.

I gotta think they'll do pre-reg....but CC I has faked me out before

Friends of Comic Cons:
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Trev:
The original post was on The Beat. I'll link to it and pull relevant info. Heidi's stuff tends to stay up quite a while.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Basically, during the highly tense times of 2012 pre-reg last year, CCI Board Member Mark Yturralde said something that got picked up in blogs. Heidi quotes it as:

--- Quote ---Yturralde says Comic-Con has a solution for 2013: “There will be no pre-registration…. All sales for the 2013 convention will be done online.”
--- End quote ---

After which, the CCI FB page posted:

--- Quote ---“Regarding pre-sale onsite next year. We really are trying to best we can to make this work as best as possible. Thank you for your input. It really does help us. So, as of right now, no decision has been made on pre-reg for next year.”
--- End quote ---

Which doesn't specifically say that there *will* be pre-reg for 2013 either. You can read it as some light damage control. They've changed the pre-reg process every year the past 3 years, so no reason not to think they won't change it again this year.

If you read the doc about tix for this year, it is pretty clear that with Member ID they have the ability to partition people electronically, so it should be possible for them to open pre-reg electronically during the show or even after the show but before the general sales to people who hold 2012 badges. Either way works as long as they give some option for 2012 ticket holders to buy 2013 tickets ahead of the general public.

I know a lot of people were pissed about the lines for pre-reg last year, which was a direct result of the complete meltdown of the general sales last year.

They need to figure out a way to curb camping. It is getting out of hand. But that's a topic for another thread. :)

Transmute Jun:
I think the whole member ID thing could potentially change this. Since everyone attending has a unique and traceable member ID, it would be easy for CCI to sell people passes at this year's con... but ONLY a pass for YOURSELF (i.e. the person attending). If CCI is interested in keeping out scalpers, then this is the best way to do it. After all, scalpers aren't actually going to be attending the Con - they're trying to sell their badges. And people who have purchased a badge from a scalper aren't going to renew on the scalper's member ID.

Trev:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginI think the whole member ID thing could potentially change this. Since everyone attending has a unique and traceable member ID, it would be easy for CCI to sell people passes at this year's con... but ONLY a pass for YOURSELF (i.e. the person attending). If CCI is interested in keeping out scalpers, then this is the best way to do it. After all, scalpers aren't actually going to be attending the Con - they're trying to sell their badges. And people who have purchased a badge from a scalper aren't going to renew on the scalper's member ID.

--- End quote ---

Yep, completely agree! Really hoping they do this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version