Author Topic: Eats Around Comic Con  (Read 214746 times)

Offline WICKEDLIQUIDS

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Re: Eats around Comic-Con
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »
Hella good question - and I have two answers!

I was staying at the Marriott Marquee about 3 weeks ago, right next door to the convention center, and there was TONS of places to eat, so it all boils down to what you're the mood for.

I can say this though - my answer #1 - lots of GENERIC food places. I"m a HUGE fan of Bourdain and Zimmern and these guys would NOT approve.  I've eaten and most of the restaurants and it's honestly just crap, junk food - a billion calories of crap.  I plan on going to a few of those during the con, but only for after hours and the parties - that's my ONLY reason.

My answer number two is to go along the marina, behind the con and Marriott - Seaport village.  Several VERY nice restaurants that serve food that isn't hacked or fried to death.  But here's a heads up - it's pricier.  But the food quality and service is WAY better, miles above.

And stay way from Dicks Last Resort.  Wow, that is one of the WORST restaurants EVER.  I get their schtick, but it truly does SUCK.  In fact, I've been meaning to yelp them....

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 08:41:50 PM »
For those of us trying to save a little money on food, I stumbled upon this link last week (preparing for Comic-Con and some other cons I attend).  I haven't tried all of these listed in the article--I've heated up canned soup and boiled some water--but if you do follow the instructions, make sure you carefully clean the appliances you'll be using, before and after.  I think some of these steps are really good for small snacks or meals in the hotel room.

As always, be careful with the appliances, and good luck!
Here's the link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope that helps! ^-^/
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:45:33 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Eats Around Comic Con
« Reply #17 on: Today at 09:27:34 AM »

Offline AnnaD

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 10:51:38 PM »
Here is last year's "Restaurant List" that was released:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TrustNo1

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »
For those of us trying to save a little money on food, I stumbled upon this link last week (preparing for Comic-Con and some other cons I attend).  I haven't tried all of these listed in the article--I've heated up canned soup and boiled some water--but if you do follow the instructions, make sure you carefully clean the appliances you'll be using, before and after.  I think some of these steps are really good for small snacks or meals in the hotel room.

Hope that helps! ^-^/

Those are some of the coolest ideas I've heard, lol! I kinda want to try them in the hotel, now...  ;D

Another tip if you're trying to save money on food but want something to fill you up in the morning: try going to a Mexican bakery or grocery store, they usually have a large selection of breads/pastries/croissants, usually baked fresh and they're pretty inexpensive. One year my dad and I got a bag of them and had them for breakfast/snacks with hotel coffee, because the hotel didn't offer the free breakfast until well after we'd left for the Convention Center. We also bought a jar of peanut butter and packed PB&J sandwiches for lunch every day, lol. Boring but effective!

Offline rayrivera

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 09:13:07 PM »
This place is very good: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Erick

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 10:15:43 PM »
Ummm tere's a Subway on the other side of the Hard Rock hotel in case anyone wants cheap stuff

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »

Hope that helps! ^-^/

Those are some of the coolest ideas I've heard, lol! I kinda want to try them in the hotel, now...  ;D

Another tip if you're trying to save money on food but want something to fill you up in the morning: try going to a Mexican bakery or grocery store, they usually have a large selection of breads/pastries/croissants, usually baked fresh and they're pretty inexpensive. One year my dad and I got a bag of them and had them for breakfast/snacks with hotel coffee, because the hotel didn't offer the free breakfast until well after we'd left for the Convention Center. We also bought a jar of peanut butter and packed PB&J sandwiches for lunch every day, lol. Boring but effective!
Ha ha, yeah, me too... if I were staying in a hotel. *laughs* (I'm commuting--yay for living in San Diego!  Hm, I guess, if I really wanted to, I could try doing some of them at home.  Ha ha.)

You know what's also a good snack that's quick and easy?  Apples, pears, oranges, and other fruits that aren't so easily smashed, or protein shakes/bars. Not only can they be easily stored away in your backpack or bag, they'll also definitely keep your energy and nutrition levels up during those long hours you have to stand in line.

^-^d
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 10:52:33 AM »
since there's in-n-out on my way back to my hotel room in ChulaVista, we tend to eat there every nite of the con
by the end we're kinda done with the food till next year, i stumbled across this list that might keep us interested tho, it the secret menu;

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline AnnaD

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
since there's in-n-out on my way back to my hotel room in ChulaVista, we tend to eat there every nite of the con
by the end we're kinda done with the food till next year, i stumbled across this list that might keep us interested tho, it the secret menu;

Unfortunately when I was in college, my apartment was right next to In-N-Out, so I smelled it everyday and no longer crave it.  Wait..scratch that, who can say 'no' to animal fries??!

Offline Sprzout

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 12:26:58 PM »
If nobody minds a short trolley ride to Mission Valley area, there's a great taco shop there called Wahoo's Fish Tacos. It's Asian-Mexican fusion; they have great fish tacos (the fish isn't breaded, for one!), excellent teriyaki beef bowls, and beer battered onion rings that I'm addicted to. And, they're pretty reasonable. They're right off of the Rio Vista trolley stop in Mission Valley in case anyone wants to make that trolley ride.

Also off of the trolley, for anyone who wants italian? Little Italy has TONS of restaurants in there. There are some that will be expensive, but if you're looking for a nice meal, Buon Appetito is good at a reasonable price. A lot of people I know like Filippi's in Little Italy, but I'd steer away from them - most of the time their sauces are watery.

Downtown has a lot of great eateries in the Gaslamp, but they can get expensive really quick, and the wait can be horrendous with Con in town - just be prepared for that. If you can, get away a little from Downtown, and you'll find plenty of eats.

Offline Real Canadian superDAVE

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
Since time always seems to be at a premium while I'm at the convention, I usually tend to eat at more fast food places that week than I do the rest of the entire year.  Even within that narrow focus there are places that stand out. (No, not McDonald's...but sadly I must admit to being there a time or two...or three or four while in San Diego. The shame of it all.)

There may be other spots in town that serve better fish tacos, but the Tin Fish restaurant right across the street from the Convention Center is certainly good enough for me. Absolutely delicious in my opinion. They don't even come close to making them that great back here in Canada. (Well, duh!)

Never had a California-style pizza before coming to San Diego, but found out those babies are definitely to my liking. There's Buster's Beach House over at Seaport Village right beside the Convention Centre that serves a two-foot-long pizza served up to you on a mini-surfboard. Even though I'm long past being a teenager, I can still devour one of those all by myself.  (Then waddle out of there with an overfull stomach, but oh well.)

It may be a chain restaurant (and not by definition a fast food place, although they do serve food fast), but I always get a kick out of going to the pasta eatery called Buca di Beppo over in the Gaslamp area. When they warn you about serving huge portions, they really mean it. Great to dig into when you've been stupid enough to miss out on lunch during the day because you're stuck in Hall H or Ballroom 20. (Stupid like me.)

So no wonderfully obscure culinary recommendations from me, but that's because as far as the days and nights of Comic-Con go, I'd rather geek out than eat out.

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 11:42:03 AM »
Oh, and when I do manage the time to actually go to one of the Gaslamp's better dining establishments, I still find it hilarious to get carded for drinks. I realize it's standard policy in San Diego to check ID for everyone, but when you're well over 50 years of age, it's great to bask in the illusion of having a youthful appearance if only for a moment.

Which I suppose leads to a good bit of advice for everyone. If you're going to be heading somewhere to have drinks, no matter what your age, be sure you don't leave your ID back at your room. Some people, especially from other countries (maybe from other American states too?), may not expect it.

But then who expects the Beer Drinking Inquistion?

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 09:15:01 PM »

I make a habit of doing this for lunch on preview day, since the dinner is way way out of my price range. Its a Brazilian churrascaria, and you get your fill of the different types of meats that they serve. I think the dinner menu only adds two or three skewers of meat, so you don't miss much for lunch. Me and my con bud usually get out the door for 40 bucks, including drinks. It keeps me going for the rest of the Con, since my diet will then consist of pop tarts and cracker jacks :P
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline Sprzout

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 01:36:57 AM »

I make a habit of doing this for lunch on preview day, since the dinner is way way out of my price range. Its a Brazilian churrascaria, and you get your fill of the different types of meats that they serve. I think the dinner menu only adds two or three skewers of meat, so you don't miss much for lunch. Me and my con bud usually get out the door for 40 bucks, including drinks. It keeps me going for the rest of the Con, since my diet will then consist of pop tarts and cracker jacks :P

Rei Do Gado is AWESOME, and definitely not a place for vegetarians or Vegans. I seem to remember that Sunday brunch is their cheapest option, but I dunno if anyone wants to go there instead of hitting Con up on the shortest day...Then again, maybe you're tuckered out of Con by Sunday...

As mentioned above, Buster's serves pizza, but I've not been crazy about their food the last few times I've eaten there. For pizza, I'd rather recommend getting on the trolley and going like, 3-4 stops up from the Gaslamp to Little Italy and sampling the pizza at any of the Italian restaurants there. However, Buster's is within walking distance of the Convention Center, so if you're looking for convenience, it's the right place. Expect the wait during Con to be a long one, though...

Oh, and for those who don't mind a chain restaurant, there's a Joe's Crab Shack directly behind the Convention Center. I went 2 years ago for lunch and saw Joe Quesada and Jeph Loeb (Joe was Editor in Chief of Marvel, but is now their "Chief Creative Officer", and Jeph Loeb is Marvel's head of Television) enjoying lunch. For a comic book geek like me, it was a rare treat. :)

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 01:00:50 AM »

Sounds like I should head there for lunch on the Wednesday as well, because you never leave a Brazillian restaurant hungry. And that's a good thing. (Especially since there's no way I'm leaving Preview Night early just to go do a silly thing like eating supper.)

So were reservations necessary? And when you say the $40 tab, was that per person? (Hey, knowing the Gaslamp dining district and some of their prices, I almost believe that even for lunch it could be possible.)