Author Topic: Where to find a costume?  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Spiffyfast

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Where to find a costume?
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »
Hello everyone, first year going to Comic-Con and I'm looking for some input. I'm pretty terrible at crafting and don't know any seamstresses, anyone have some suggestions for good places to get a quality costume? Been searching around, but almost everything that comes up in search engines is what you find in those crazy, only open for a month around Halloween, stores. Any ideas?

Offline Hidajunshin

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 1
Re: Where to find a costume?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:38:44 PM »
That really depends on what you have in mind.  Most people make their own or pay someone to make it.  Most people don't wear those costumes from the Halloween stores because they are overpriced and poor quality.

Try the Superhero Costuming Forum or Cosplay.com

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:24:31 AM »

Offline Spiffyfast

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
That was my thought too, thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely check them out!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »
I'm in the same position you are. I have no sewing talent whatsoever. There are a couple of options.

One possibility is to create a costume that doesn't need much 'sewing'. For example, I created a Mario costume for a friend by purchasing a red turtleneck, denim overalls and white gloves. We painted a mustache on his face and bought him a Mario hat (available at many stores). You can make many costumes by 'assembling' the individual pieces in this manner.

Another possibility, if you want a costume that has 'unique' clothing involved, is to try Etsy. You'd be amazed how many great tailors/seamstresses there are there who will often custom make garments for you. I've used Etsy a few times and always been happy with my purchases. However make sure to read a sellers reviews/check their ratings before buying. I got my son a Ben 10 costume this way. I purchased a black t-shirt and blue jeans off the rack, and he already had a toy omnitrix. I got a great jacket custom made for him on Etsy. I know I've seen people on EBay selling them too.

Another possibility is a site like cosplaysky. They have a great selection of custom costumes, including a lot of Star Wars costumes. Since there is an entire Star Wars day (Friday, I think?) this is a great source for costumes.

I've been wearing costumes to Comic Con for a few years now. My advice is to start with something 'small' and see how you like it as you wear it around the Con. Then you can tweak it/add to it next year.

HTH!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:47:00 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline NintendoNerd

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 03:37:16 PM »
Do you know what you want to be? I'm the opposite, I'm one that pieces my costume together. But if you need help finding pieces, I seem to have a lot of luck with it. :)

Offline Spiffyfast

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do you know what you want to be? I'm the opposite, I'm one that pieces my costume together. But if you need help finding pieces, I seem to have a lot of luck with it. :)

Pretty sure Im going as the 10th Doctor, we shall see

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
  • Stories are worth dying for.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 09:39:18 PM »
For Dr. Who, it would be more affordable to find a tweed blazer on eBay and modify it as you deem fit.

If you want to save on the hassle, there are many professional cosplay tailors on Ebay as well who can tailor-to-fit the entire ensemble for you. I've purchased from these sellers before and the workmanship is not bad, although you have to allow about 4 weeks for the tailoring and shipping. The cost of this would be approximately $100-$120 for the costume (which is very reasonable) + $30 shipping.

I've personally bought from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. They can do customised orders as well. Trusted seller with good quality costumes.

Other cosplay retailers you can check out:

Hope that helps! :)